View Single Post
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2012, 08:13 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: How to teach art to kids under 8

Well, I will turn 75 in a couple of days, but even I can remember back to when I was 7 or 8 years old, and as I recall, the last thing I wanted was someone to "turn me loose, floundering around attempting to do what I wanted". What I "wanted" was for a good artist to show me exactly how they did it.

When I was that age, I was always asking my dad, who was a really good sketch-artist, and cartooner...an amateur, but good, to "please show me how to do" specific things. Like, how did he draw a hat on top of a head. how did he draw clothing. How did he draw a hand, etc., etc.

I remember simply wanting to know precisely how a person who was "good at drawing" drew. I would not in any way "settle" for being cut loose to "explore my creativity. To me, a kid, that was much too lofty an ideal.

But, then , I'm an artist now, and that's what inquisitive artists do when they are 7 or 8 years old, I suppose. I wanted a bit of "guidance" in the form of generalizations, but I also wanted (craved) specifics regarding particular "operations" that would get me closer to where I wanted to be with my results.

I think the only real difference between a kid, and an adult regarding art learning, is that kids are much more "results oriented". Granted, some adults are, but they can be talked out of having such anxiety, and convinced that it takes time to create good art. Kids are not quite so patient. But, both kids and adults seem to appreciate being shown exactly how to go about performing art operations, rather than being allowed to "experiment" on their own.

I know that when I was a kid I always picked up on the "specific operations" whenever any art teacher bothered to show them to me, because that is what I really craved. Even as a kid, I figured that I could always have the opportunity to "experiment on my own", once I learned some specifics.

Just my feelings.

Last edited by WFMartin : 10-02-2012 at 08:25 PM.