View Single Post
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 01:21 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Favorite workable fixative?

I don't see the "Other" category either, or the Dick Blick fixative which is pretty much like Krylon but about a dollar cheaper per can. I still use that occasionally for isolating layers in other mediums because I have it.

SpectraFix has been my favorite ever since I got the knack of using it. It takes a bit longer to dry and it takes finesse using the pump bottle instead of a canned aerosol spray - but it's worth the effort. My cat doesn't run out of the room when I use it. I'm not destroying my lungs when I use it and don't need to leave my room to avoid toxic fumes.

It doesn't darken the pastels nearly as much - it's taken a while for me to get used to that. Back when I did portraits out in the French Quarter of New Orleans, I used to use fixative to darken the colors and intensify them. I'd work a bit lighter and brighter than intended, liked the way fixative deepened everything and just accented the brightest lights afterward.

I've had to change my style a bit to work with the SpectraFix but it's very cool that my pastel art comes out looking as if I didn't use fixative at all. Enough layers of it will keep sketchbook pages from smudging across the facing page too.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting