View Single Post
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2010, 05:45 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Re: The Incomplete Journals - Resurrected?

These are great sketches and notes. You probably find the "habit" hard because it's not a priority. And, I would venture to guess that the first notebook with the gridded paper, you were frustrated making marks since you noted that the only thing that sort of worked was graphite and that not very well.

Just as people advise you to get decent paper/canvas, paint/pencils/pastels that are artist grade even if you are just a beginner. I think the same thing can be said of sketchbooks. Your materials are going to work for you and your style or you won't use the sketchbook. For instance, I have some decent sketchbooks that work fine for graphite sketches, or colored pencil sketches, even ink if I don't use the back of the sheet. But, I dare not put any water media on the pages. The don't just cockle, they warp!

Anyway, only you can answer what you need for materials to make the "habit" stick and what will motivate you to sketch regularly. There are several people doing the 21 day sketch habit (I don't have the link, but it's in a couple of other threads.) I was motivated by keeping a fake visual journal. That was a small journal of CP water color paper that I stitched up myself. There was something satisfying to me to be working in a "book" I made myself with the kind of paper I wanted to work on.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work in whatever journal it appears in.