View Single Post
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2007, 07:45 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States
Re: Civil War Portraits - The Series

Welcome Steve. You're right ... Lee certainly deserves to be a part of this, but once the thread is set I'm not sure it could be changed. However, here's the link to that thread if anybody wants to check it out the development of this.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413705

Don, Ah .. another buff. Chamberlain certainly had quite a career, both as a soldier and a civilian. As for Five Forks, we've got to take the personality of Sheridan into account. He was Grant's fair haired boy, but this was also the man who said "the only good indian, is a dead indian". I'm sure he was a VERY difficult man to be around ... constant drive and no excuses for anybody not doing precisely what he wanted them to do not to mention the fact that his opinion was never to be questioned. In his defense, however, he was brilliantly effective on the battlefield. But, you are also right to say Warren was not suited to higher command. The attrition of that war brought many men to levels beyond their abilities. Take Ewell for instance. He was one of Lees very best division commanders (or APHill for that matter), but loses forced both those men into commands for which they were patently unsuited. Ewell became confused and inactive (although he had also lost a leg by then), AP Hill suffered probably from ulcers and was often ill and not able to command. The North had this problem from the beginning - Burnside comes to mind. With the loss in line officers in any battle so high, few had much time to acclimate themselves to their new command before being pushed even higher. It's no wonder so many were ill equipped when they might have been OK had things moved more slowly.

I have forgotten the details of the incident, but Chamberlain's reputation was such that he could absorb pretty much anything and still remain practically above reproach not to mention it's pretty hard to blame a medal of honor winner with dereliction of duty - no matter who you are. Not only that, but he was so well liked and respected.

Jim, glad to have you aboard. The art will be my usual, but the conversation should be interesting as well.

And Nance, there's plenty of room left. Glad to see you.

Ken