View Single Post
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 01:54 AM
WC! Guide
Northern California

Hails from United States
Re: Framing Scratchboard/Claybord

Lesley - I like the way your ocelot is framed. Is that inner frame a gold metallic or ??

Sue, when jurying art for shows, if it's entry via digital submission or printed photo/slide, the general rule is that the judge(s) don't want to see anything but the art. Nothing that detracts from the art being judged, so it shouldn't be seen - not the frame (or even the mat), not an easel or your wallpaper behind or the chair it's sitting on when it was photographed. That's the first step for getting a piece of art into a show.

But then, once art is AT a show and it's time to award ribbons, I think that the framing may have an impact. I guess it depends on the judges and their level of expertise and ability to judge fairly. And shows usually reserve the right to reject accepted entries if they're not framed properly - I suppose that's a judgement call too . . . what constitutes "proper"?

I know when I'm at art shows, just as a viewer, I'm always critiquing framing. My personal preference leans toward simple and clean - let the art speak for itself!

Web Site - Pet Portraits - Facebook

Last edited by PaintDog : 02-01-2012 at 01:57 AM.