Thread: Shanghai News!
View Single Post
  #16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2010, 04:46 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Shanghai News!

I unfortunately don't have the time to participate on WC anymore, but was alerted to this thread and must respond. The Shanghai Zhujiajiao International Watercolour Biennial Exhibition is the largest watercolor exhibition ever. Nearly all of the major names in watercolor worldwide have entered this incredible show, and I have been here the past week reviewing hundreds of the 2500+ entries making selections and giving awards with the other judges, Ong Kim Seng (one of the most legendary living watercolor painters), David Taylor (renowned Australian artist), David Paskett (Pres. Royal Watercolor Society), and several of the top art officials of China. I cannot discuss the awards at this time, several of which went to artists we all know, but I should say the level of work by the Chinese artists -- nearly all of whom are unknown in the west -- is astonishing.

Being invited to do this is the biggest honor of my art career. We have been given the royal treatment, meeting the top art people in China and financiers of the exhibition, being led on tours of this amazing city and historic outlying water villages, honorary dinners, and they have paid for everything - travel, newest 5 star hotel, etc. I was very surprised to find I am well known here, and will be returning to do my own show. The judges were also asked to display work for the event, and I contributed a pretty outrageous huge new one which has not been shown or published anywhere yet. I'm presenting a lecture tomorrow.

The exhibition is being held in conjunction with the 2010 World Expo, which will host well over 70 million visitors. 25 million visitors are expected in Zhujiajiao, with 2.5 million visitors expected in the watercolor gallery during the Expo! It is a fascinating place. I have prior commitments and will not be able to attend the opening next month, so they are flying my wife over to represent me. (might be better for all of us! )

Any negative suggestions about the legitimacy of this exhibition are completely unfounded. Please respect what is going on here, it is the future of our medium.

In the photo is the jury with the above-mentioned, and the top art officials in PRC, won’t get into the names here. I’ll have an account with photos on my blog and Facebook (both of which I cannot access at the moment), and in The Artist’s Magazine.