View Single Post
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2006, 08:26 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
I wanted to post a selection of quotes (most from the site) to show the range of opinions on which are the warm and cool blues; names omitted to protect the innocent:

Quote:
the cool primaries.... lemon yellow, cobalt blue, alizarin crimson.
the warm primaries.... cad yellow, cad red, ultramarine blue.
Quote:
Ultramarine Blue (a cool blue)
Quote:
The Ultramarine Blue bottle simply calls it "warm blue" and the phthalo blue bottle as "cool blue"
Quote:
Cool blue—Cobalt Blue or Ultramarine Blue. Warm Blue—Manganese Blue or Cerulean...
Quote:
Cerulean Blue... cool blue-towards green
French Ultramarine... warm blue-towards violet
Quote:
I think the general Blue hue, expanding from turquoise to BV is cool, but within these analogous hues, there is warmer or cooler hues compared to each other, But all blue hues should fall in the cool. for example, an ultramarine is cool, warmer than cyan, but it is still a cool hue.
Quote:
I checked McCaw's book and he does use ultramarine as his cool blue and phthalo blue as his warm blue. It's all relative, as ultramarine can be the warm one and cobalt as the cool one.
Quote:
Ultramarine Deep - warm...
Pthalo Blue - cool...
Quote:
A cerulean blue is warmer than an Ultramarine blue because it is greener, thinking such teal would be warmer still.
Quote:
Cool Blue: Ultramarine, Cobalt... Warm Blue: Thalo (Pthalocyanine), Manganese Blue...
Quote:
...any cool blue such as manganese, phthalocyanine blue, prussian blue, cerulean blue, etc.
...any warm blue such as ultramarine, permanent, cobalt, etc.
Quote:
Ultramarine--is, well, ultramarine. A cool blue...
Quote:
...a cool blue... ultramarine blue.... Cerulean blue is a warm blue to me, it has more green in it.
Quote:
...choosing a cool blue such as phthalo... a warm blue such as ultramarine...
Quote:
The only semi-opaque blue is Cerulean Blue which is a cool blue, and Cobalt Blue which almost neutral.
Quote:
Chromacryl names their primaries Cool Blue, Warm Blue, etc. Cool Blue is thalo and Warm Blue looks like ultramarine.
Quote:
...a cool blue, Phthalo Blue (GS)... a warm blue, French Ultramarine...
Quote:
Prussian Blue: ...warm blue with more muted tint than Phthalo Blue.
Ultramarine Blue: warm Ultra Blue is...
Cerulean Blue: ...an important place on the mineral palette because blues are rarely shifted to the cool, green side like this one.
Phthalo Blue: warm blue... [relates to PB15:1]
Manganese Blue Hue: ...cool, transparent blue with green undertone...
Quote:
Ultramarine Blue [warm]
Prussian Blue [cool]
Quote:
Ultramarine Blue (cool blue) ...Phthalo Blue (warm blue)
Quote:
...ultramarine blue (PB29) a warm blue and phthalocyanine blue GS (PB15:3) a cool blue...
Quote:
WARM BLUE – any purplish blue. Only need one.... COOL BLUE – any greenish blue.

Unfortunately there are a lot of places where people mention they use warm and cool primaries but they don't specify which is which - the very problem highlighted above - although occasionally you get lucky and can piece it together from other comments in the post.

Doing the search on WC! more widely than just in Colour Theory is quite the revelation; I suggest anyone curious about the topic do the same. Even just limited to the last year there are dozens of threads in other parts of the site, in addition to a number of scintillating discussions here of course, and many show the confusion that led to the question that concerns use here, what is a warm blue?

I'll close with this quote since it's so apropos:
Quote:
...I have a couple of books, one says Ultramarine is warm and the other says it is cool.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk