WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Creativity (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Hypothetical Question (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=947540)

AllisonR 09-07-2011 08:45 AM

Hypothetical Question

I'm trying to determine if it is the process of making art, or the product of art, that is most useful to artists.

A simple poll. Normally I should have a 3rd poll option - other, both, neither... but if I did that, everyone would chose it. So I am making only 2 poll options. Please force yourself to choose the best option for you, even though obviously neither is reasonable. Thanks!

Use Her Name 09-08-2011 02:15 AM

Re: Hypothetical Question

I feel that art is the act of creating the art. What happens to it afterward is immaterial-- absolutely it is nice, but not necessary for the art to be in a form that someone would buy, but sales are not the true fulfillment of the artistic instinct. I have often created art that I am not 100% happy with, but what the heck, I learned something to use the next time.

friesin 09-08-2011 11:26 AM

To explain quite simply my opinion:
If I were not interested in creating art I would buy art

La_ 09-08-2011 11:28 AM

it's definitely the process ...
would get a bit frustrating to put in all the work, sign it, and have it go poof tho! guess i'd take a pic just before signing ; )

anti-climatic to have an idea 'instantly appear' as a finished product, no satisfaction in that for me.

la

RVM45 09-08-2011 11:31 AM

Art is a process. All that you are ever guaranteed to get for your investment, is the satisfaction of making the investment (of time, of energy, of sometimes expensive, and never free Art Materials).

On the other hand, in reasonably Peaceful and Prosperous times, having a finished product, showing the work to friends--and the public at large, being able to hang the painting on my wall for awhile.....

All these things are a part of the process of creating Art. Sure,you could do good work while Marooned alone on a Desert Island--but one of first things you'd want to do, when rescued, is show off your Art.

.....RVM45 :cool::clap: :cool:

caldwell.brobeck 09-08-2011 12:44 PM

I figure that as long as something is still around the house it's still fair game to play with, my choice was pretty easy. It either gets the boot to the trash or to sale....

Quote:

Originally Posted by friesin
To explain quite simply my opinion:
If I were not interested in creating art I would buy art

I buy art. I love having other people's work around, it inspires me to work harder. In fact the two pieces I see most often (because they hang right over my computer desk) are etchings bought from an artist who occasionally posts here on WC.

Razz 09-08-2011 01:30 PM

I'm not at all satisfied with the narrowing of options, but if I have to choose;
the product.

Keith Russell 09-09-2011 12:59 AM

I categorically reject your "either/or".

As someone who hopes to become a professional fine artist in the next few years, having a "finished product" to sell is very important to me.

Nevertheless, I believe very strongly in working very hard to learn (by practicing the process) how to make that product as good as I possibly can.

If I can't choose both, I can't choose either; the process produces the product (and the quality of the former greatly affects the quality of the latter).

Horsa 09-09-2011 02:06 PM

I buy art that I like.
If forced to choose one of the posted choices I would choose to create and then have it disappear when finished. Not so different to what happens now actually. A lot of mine gets tossed as unsatisfactory in some way. What doesn't gets sent out in hopes it will sell. Either way, I no longer have it.

If it was writing I would choose the product over the process in a heartbeat though.

DAS-Arts 09-09-2011 04:10 PM

I would choose creating art. A familiar experience for me when I am really into a piece--can't wait to get back to it when I have to take a break, thinking about it all the time--is that as it nears completion I feel a sort of tired, satisfied high, and then when it is actually done...it's done. With a few exceptions, no matter how obsessive I felt about it while I was working on it, when a work is done I feel detached and have no trouble letting go of it.

I love experiencing other people's art--the walls of my apartment are covered with it--and I suppose if I didn't enjoy the product of my own art I wouldn't do it at all in the first place, but the feeling of viewing a finished piece of art, my own or otherwise, is totally different from being engaged in creating it.

WFMartin 09-10-2011 11:45 AM

In recent years, I have become totally wrapped up in the process involved in creating my paintings. I find it interesting to note that once I began enjoying the process upon which I finally settled, I also began creating better work, as indicated by sales, and awards.

I have found with many things in my life, such as music and painting, I always worked at it because I enjoyed the simple act of doing it. Then, with it came some small degree of success, and without seemingly having worked hard for it.

Settling down to one, or two basic processes is what caused me to enjoy the act of creating my paintings. Until that time, while I was still experimenting with "how to do it", I did not enjoy the process to quite as great an extent.

To me, loving the process is what leads to success, and without half trying.:thumbsup:

fritzie 09-10-2011 02:12 PM

What I do, I enjoy for the "flow experience" of it, what the process feels like.

But I never answer surveys that force me to take a position that may not reflect my views well. This is how we as a broad society (not as WC!) hear all sorts of reports of what people believe or feel that oversimply the reality of things (complex situations are reduced this way), and we hear discussions of "mandates" from political figures!

Clive Green 09-14-2011 08:15 PM

I choose option H

happy_place 09-14-2011 08:41 PM

For me it's the process. I'm not a professional but have been creating "art" for many years and either giving it away or storing it somewhere. I've continued to create because I can't NOT do it. It's a way for me to communicate things that I can't put into words and is very cathartic to me. I'd love to sell stuff but if I don't I know I'm still going to produce more and benefit from the experience (and keep my sanity).

robertsloan2 10-04-2011 06:49 PM

The way around option one is to stop working on it before it's completely "finished." In reality, that also helps me avoid overworking them!