WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Portraiture Forum Library Archives (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   March 2010 Portrait Challenge (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610415)

jocelynsart 02-28-2010 09:54 PM

March 2010 Portrait Challenge

Hi Everyone: I am putting up the images for the March portrait challenge. One, of me, Laurie suggested may be a good one for this. The other, is a natural light one of my daughter, Shauna.
Sorry, probably not a lot of difference between the 2 really, light wise, or theme.
Sorry, my browser will not enable cookies so will not allow me to upload the image. I have the links below. I'll try to figure this out tomorrow night, if I have time. Meanwhile, if someone else would like to save and add them, please feel free.

Jocelyn

jocelynsart 02-28-2010 09:59 PM

Re: March 2010 Portrait Challenge

the large files

http://aportraitbyjocelyn.com/upload...traitchall.jpg

http://aportraitbyjocelyn.com/upload...unnatlight.jpg

kevinwueste 02-28-2010 11:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here they are Joceyln!:)

jocelynsart 03-01-2010 12:43 AM

Ah great, thank you!!! I don't have the energy to figure out stuff like that anymore, once things change on me lol!

Have a good Challenge everyone!

Thanks; Jocelyn

purplepansey 03-01-2010 09:57 AM

Jocelyn you and your daughter look like sisters. I'd like to try one of them but don't think I'd be up to the challenge like so many fine portraitists on here. Wonderful photos I might add.

jocelynsart 03-01-2010 08:45 PM

Hi Purple. Oh, thank you. I Wish I looked like her lol! Not even at that age did I.

Please don't refrain from working from them just because you feel there are others that are better skilled than yourself. There are Tons better skilled than I, always will be, but I won't stop drawing or painting because of it :-) So please, feel free, even if it is at a later date and you pop a new thread up.

Jocelyn

Lauren F-M 03-02-2010 10:02 AM

Both are great references -- thanks, Joss! :D

I'm actually finishing up a lot of old portrait drawings and framing them for a little show at my church. Finally got the mat-cutting thing working! :clap:
... so I do plan to play catch-up on the portrait challenge -- and the portrait swap! :eek:

Two lovely refs for the onset of spring! :thumbsup:

alvin 03-02-2010 01:16 PM

Thanks for these wonderful references Jocelyn.

I did this one at work while I was on break. I was too impulsive and decided to use ink at such a small size paper. It turned out to be a real challenge especially the darkened part of her face, at this size any overlap of strokes causes a drastic change. I learned a lot. I think I'll have better success with a bigger size and a different medium.

roy-p 03-02-2010 06:18 PM

"It turned out to be a real challenge..." and you've handled the challenge quite well, Alvin - very nice work in the shadows!

Thank you so much for the pics Jocelyn :)

Here's mine - A3 size, Conte Carbone pencil, watercolor pencil for background.

Thanks for looking :wave:

tali 03-02-2010 07:52 PM

i love the different light sources on your daughters face--I'm itching to try painting them!

jocelynsart 03-03-2010 08:51 AM

Hi Tali. Yes, that tends to happen. There's natural light from the sliding glass, and probably an indoor light on. I do like that too, but it can be challenging.

These are great so far! I've always loved the type of pen and ink technique here.

The pencil drawing, I love the style used, the technique. You have sort of "Romanesqued" her, which I find I really really like! She looks liek one of those classic roman beauties here.

Glad the refs are workable.

Jocelyn

Prunesquallor 03-03-2010 03:55 PM

Hi, it's been a while since I've painted anything (about 4 years, I stopped painting after I had a stroke) but I though I'd jump in and have a go as I've always wanted to take part in one of the challenges :)

This is still a WIP, I spent yesterday doing a sketch in burnt umber and titanium white, and started adding colour today.

Oil on canvas pad, 12" x 16":

IslanderNL 03-03-2010 10:17 PM

Jocelyn, thank you for wonderful images once more. I shall do my best to do them justice.

Alvin, this is a lovely pen sketch, you've caught her look so well despite your misgivings.

roy-p, this is wonderful too, you've got her youth in this image and the hair is wonderful.

prunsquallor, such lovely skin tones in this piece and the hair is glorious too. I must pull out some oils and try as well.

I've decided to start with a sketch of the lovely Jocelyn. This is only a quick line drawing and I'll where it goes from here. This is in an 8 x 10 sketchbook using a mechanical pencil.

roy-p 03-04-2010 02:08 PM

Ahh, I'm glad you like the 'romanesque' look, although I'm not sure what it really implies :D

Thanks Jeanette, that sketch already looks promising!

Here's the latest: A3 size paper, Sanguine conte, soft pastel pencil for background and some minor digital tinkering around. Thanks for looking!

jocelynsart 03-05-2010 09:08 AM

Wow, glad to see that there is more work from the references! Great!
roy-p, again, I love that type of drawing. Prune, good colour use in the skin.