WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Plein Air Hall of Fame (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Trevor chamberlain's pochade box (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188408)

Bobbo 05-12-2004 07:29 AM

Trevor chamberlain's pochade box

Trevor Chamberlain is a British plein air painter,he paints/painted alot around the marches between Wales and England,and does/did many townscapes in all kinds of weather,he has a no bull aproach and uses a smart tiny pochade box for his field sketches,wich he works out in larger format in the studio

the box is 10x7x3''it can be held in one hand,see tumb hole!build in palette
Trevor gets little tubes of paint to fit inside
the little panels are 6x8'' and function as the top of the box,they are seperated to avoid smudging
it is compact and unobtrusive,usefull for busy street scenes or interiors

Bobbo 05-12-2004 07:34 AM

Re: Trevor chamberlain's pochade box

some samples of his work,

sorry the scans are a bit orange,
(this shows what i have to put up with when i scan my own paintings,they are really worldclass you know!! :D :D :D

all oils,bar the last,wich is watercolor

blondheim12 05-12-2004 07:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)
He has lovely work. My Lorelou box is 6x8. It is perfect for small paintings. I use it all the time.
Love,
Linda

Bobbo 05-12-2004 08:04 AM

thanks Linda,

that box looks bigger,but very strong :)

amazing views you've got from your window :D

LeeHaber 05-12-2004 08:08 AM

Hi, Thanks for a look at Trevor Chamberlain's work...I love them all! I appreciate the opportunity to see such wonderful art...thnaks for making it available.

artbars 05-12-2004 08:54 AM

Hi Bobbo! Thank for interesting show it. Remarkable painting and interesting small easel. I saw some adaptations for painting. This is very well made.

LarrySeiler 05-12-2004 10:20 AM

He packs a whallop of emotive drama in small spaces giving great appeal! Often when artists then attempt to work bigger, they feel inclined to busy the work up with detailing that loses the charm. Interesting to see this work...thanks for bringing his work to our attention!

Larry

pampe 05-12-2004 11:01 AM

wonderful photos. thanks!!

inspiring for us "little box" folks

Eugene Veszely 05-12-2004 12:01 PM

That is a tiny little box he uses!! :cool:

Marc Hanson 05-12-2004 12:42 PM

Glad to see the interest in Trevor Chamberlain's work. Thought I'd add to the thread with these images from 'OILS - Trevor Chaberlain' a Ron Ranson Painting School book. Published by ANAYA in London. Copyright 1993 Ron Ranson. Hopefully they wouldn't mind us using these for educational reasons, I don't want to be sued.

These are 6x8, 7x10, and 10x14, not in that order though.

LeeHaber 05-12-2004 06:32 PM

Marc, Thanks for posting these. They are inspirational.

Bobbo 05-12-2004 07:22 PM

what a treat,
to see so many new paintings of him
thanks Marc

the first thing i knew about Trevor Chamberlain,was a little book,
found localy in a second hand bookshop,you know stuffy old place,
not expecting much,maybe some placemats with an illustration of
Constable's haywagon...when i opend that book,of this unknown
painter i was struck.good price too :D

he never waits for a sunny day,is not interested in that perfect place.
when it rains he takes his tiny box in the car and paints the weather..

Tony Perrotta 05-13-2004 05:51 AM

Very cool little box, and such great work on small panels. Question for all using small homemade boxes like the Lorilou boxes. I have 2 that I made, how do you manage to carry the wet panels back to the car without disaster striking? I have a way to do it in the box but it does not work well for more than one panel.

Tony

blondheim12 05-13-2004 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Perrotta
Very cool little box, and such great work on small panels. Question for all using small homemade boxes like the Lorilou boxes. I have 2 that I made, how do you manage to carry the wet panels back to the car without disaster striking? I have a way to do it in the box but it does not work well for more than one panel.

Tony

Tony,
I always use a drying box for my wet paintings, whether I'm using my Lorelou box or my Guerrilla Box. I like using a drying box because they hold so many panels and I have the option of leaving them in the box for days at a time if I want to, until they are completely dry.
Love,
Linda

JamieWG 05-13-2004 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Perrotta

Tony

Tony, do a search for Wayne's thread on an easy wet panel carrier. You make it with two frames front to front. I bought 4-packs of inexpensive 5x7 and 8x10 frames for $10 at Michael's Arts and Crafts and made them in each size. They're great, and fit right in a canvas bag with the pochade box, etc. Let me know if you can't find the thread and I'll do a search for you when I get home later.

Jamie