WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Colored Pencil (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Backgrounds!! My Ruination... - Finished (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1077102)

Northern Lass 04-09-2012 05:10 AM

Backgrounds!! My Ruination... - Finished

2 Attachment(s)
Morning Readers,

After a 4 year gap, I've taken up my CPs. D/loaded a lovely image (thanks to abadami) from the image gallery. Long way from completion, I'm reasonably pleased with it so far... APART-FROM-THAT-DAMNED-BACKGROUND!!! WHY do they terrify me? WHY do I almost always ruin an otherwise not-bad picture?

Colours are somewhat stronger than this image shows.

Please, TELL me what to do!!! HOW do I tackle this important part of the painting??? I don't want to give up YET!! :crying:

It's 12" x 14" on Stonehenge.

What do you suggest please?

Ange
x

smudged-blue 04-09-2012 06:11 AM

Re: Backgrounds!! My Ruination...

:wave:
I think you have a wonderful start, your flowers are looking beautiful. I myself am not very good with backgrounds (I'm yet to do one :lol: ). I thought I would suggest to go check out the colored pencil library. There is loads of info in there. Here are just a couple of links to background related threads, but of cause there would be many more I'm sure.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475620

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420170

Would you please show us this again when you have completed them.

chaffee 04-09-2012 06:16 AM

Ange, I think you're doing a superb job with this, so far. Keep doing the background as you have started, keep the details fuzzy and subdued, but get back in on those blossoms and darken them up with more color. I can already see it beginning to pop. This will be a great piece IMO.

Have fun,
Tim

Northern Lass 04-09-2012 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudged-blue
:wave:
I think you have a wonderful start, your flowers are looking beautiful. I myself am not very good with backgrounds (I'm yet to do one :lol: ). I thought I would suggest to go check out the colored pencil library. There is loads of info in there. Here are just a couple of links to background related threads, but of cause there would be many more I'm sure.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475620

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420170

Would you please show us this again when you have completed them.

Hi Smudged! Many thanks for replying. I'll look at those links. It's too easy NOT to add background, isn't it - but I've gotta admit it has-crossed-my-mind to leave it blank. Cowards way out...:lol: but maybe next time (if I don't lose the will to live THIS time..) I'll attempt flower minus background.

Enjoy ya day (night!!!)

Ange
x

PS.... I've FAST become a fan of blending with a brush.... MUCH MUCH better - and seems gentler on the paper!!

Northern Lass 04-09-2012 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaffee
Ange, I think you're doing a superb job with this, so far. Keep doing the background as you have started, keep the details fuzzy and subdued, but get back in on those blossoms and darken them up with more color. I can already see it beginning to pop. This will be a great piece IMO.

Have fun,
Tim

Hi Tim, and thanks.

The color is stronger than my picture shows on here - don't ya get a LITTLE FED UP just going over, going over, going over to increase the density of colour?? Hah!! Did you notice what I've done here?? spelt COLOR and COLOUR to impress both sides of the Atlantic.....

Do you think this blasted b/ground should be kept light'ish or darken it?

Ange
x

smudged-blue 04-09-2012 06:35 AM

It can be very easy to leave out the background, but then when a drawing (of mine) is completed there seems to be missing something, maybe just maybe adding the background will make it pop, but I get to scared of then ruining the piece.
When I draw I find most times I like to use a tight crop, eliminates all that background stuff, leaves (I don't like drawing the leaves and stems). Seeing this becoming a habit I've recently decided to challenge myself to start adding backgrounds :eek: .

I really hope you keep going with this, Your flowers are looking fabulous.

RobinZ 04-09-2012 08:06 AM

Well, I LOVE backgrounds. I usually get my backgrounds to 90% completed before I work on my subject. The trick is to think of the background as a "stage" for your flower, or animal or whatever.

There's nothing wrong with a plain background, but if you decide to go with something, then you need to make your decisions on it during the planning stage. I know what you are thinking...that you don't want to put all that work into a background and then find you can't pull off the subject and all that time wasted. I used to think that, too.

But your background affects the subject, what colors, how bright, etc.

What you can do at this stage to decide on your background is to print this out, and on your print, play with your background and decide how dark, how vibrant, how detailed. You can't really go wrong with a fuzzy background, imo.

I'm glad you brought this up, I am doing a step by step demo on my fb page and you reminded me about talking about backgrounds!

Northern Lass 04-09-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobinZ
Well, I LOVE backgrounds. I usually get my backgrounds to 90% completed before I work on my subject. The trick is to think of the background as a "stage" for your flower, or animal or whatever.

There's nothing wrong with a plain background, but if you decide to go with something, then you need to make your decisions on it during the planning stage. I know what you are thinking...that you don't want to put all that work into a background and then find you can't pull off the subject and all that time wasted. I used to think that, too.

But your background affects the subject, what colors, how bright, etc.

What you can do at this stage to decide on your background is to print this out, and on your print, play with your background and decide how dark, how vibrant, how detailed. You can't really go wrong with a fuzzy background, imo.

I'm glad you brought this up, I am doing a step by step demo on my fb page and you reminded me about talking about backgrounds!

Thank so much for this, RobinZ! Almost right in your assumption - I'm terrified in getting almost to the end THEN find I've made a complete hash of the background! I've looked at a demo (in Library) that Catchlight did a while back - yep, certainly helps, but what can I do with the utter mess-up I've done so far? Tried lifting with a kneadable eraser and yes, it has lifted and helped. Almost at the stage where I don't WANT to finish it!! Plain background well, sort of (as Smudged Blue said) something missing. So I really wanna conquer this thing, this block I have. Arrrggggggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ange

x

moolane 04-09-2012 08:28 AM

I think you have done such a wonderful job so far!!

I agree with the recommendation to darken the flowers. Continue with the background as you have it. It's hard to fully tell how it will look at the halfway point. Keep it light - you can always darken it later! :)

Northern Lass 04-09-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moolane
I think you have done such a wonderful job so far!!

I agree with the recommendation to darken the flowers. Continue with the background as you have it. It's hard to fully tell how it will look at the halfway point. Keep it light - you can always darken it later! :)

Hi Michelle, many thanks. Yes, I can push the darks a bit more maybe. NOT on that background though. It's such a horrible day here in Lincolnshire, drizzly rain all day so far - but boy, do we need it!! Officially in drought conditions, with a ban on using a hose pipe to water garden/wash vehicles etc. STILL, my gain, this weather..... I CAN carry on colouring without feeling GUILTY!!! :clap:

Ange
x

RobinZ 04-09-2012 09:11 AM

If it were my piece, I'd finish the background you have with the lighter passages, but not so many, I'd fill some in with the medium green you chose. Almost one shade of green with just a dapple of lighter here and there to suggest sunlight hitting leaves. You don't want such a busy background that it detracts from your focal point.

Northern Lass 04-09-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobinZ
If it were my piece, I'd finish the background you have with the lighter passages, but not so many, I'd fill some in with the medium green you chose. Almost one shade of green with just a dapple of lighter here and there to suggest sunlight hitting leaves. You don't want such a busy background that it detracts from your focal point.

Yes! THAT'S the word!!! Busy background. I think it's too busy so far, but as only a small section of background done I might just have enough scope to complete as you've suggested.

Many thanks RobinZ,

Ange
x

douglass 04-09-2012 09:24 AM

Fantastic start to a beautiful reference! I agree with all the above comments!
Your background so far is looking really good....so don't worry about it...just keep it blurry and kind of vague!

salemskye 04-09-2012 10:04 AM

Your flowers are absolutely stunning. As for the back ground I think I would go with large areas blurred of darker greens to really make the flower shine and pop out.

Candle 04-09-2012 01:30 PM

I think what you've done so far looks fine.
Agree with Robin's advice on how to continue.
I also belong to the "afraid I'll muff up my nice subject by ruining the bg" club. My tactic now is to do the bg's first. They don't typically require the same detail and precision of the main subject; most mistakes on a bg can be salvaged. So if I have to start over at the bg stage it's not as big of an undertaking.

Hope that helps a little. This drawing is looking good...look forward to seeing the finish!