WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Café Guerbois (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Juried show (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1040962)

Jackie339 03-09-2012 06:05 PM

Juried show

Hi, I have a question for you all. I received a Call for Artists from a local gallery that is in a college. It's open to all artists, $30 fee for up to 3 pieces. The card states that"all work will be juried in person". What does that mean? Never came across this before. So you give $30, and are then told there and then whether your work is in the show. Not to mention the possible public humiliation!! Any thoughts?

WFMartin 03-09-2012 11:44 PM

Re: Juried show

For ten bucks per entry, ya' can't hardly beat it. However, I'd want to first know how much the award money might be. Also, what is the possibility of sales at that show?

JayJay365UK 03-10-2012 05:18 AM

Does juried mean judged? As in, at the end of the show, they award 1st second and third places? Or juried as in judged before they let you display your work? I wouldn't pay out cash unless my work was being displayed, in a gallery, or in some sort of art space. I would ask for more information before I bit the apple.

Jackie339 03-10-2012 05:38 AM

Thanks for the replies! This is a juried show, not judged, no prizes, and because it's part of a college, any sales inquires are directed back to the artist=no sales. However, it's being juried by someone who is very prostegious and would look good on a resume to be accepted. Also, around here, what happens when you pay at set fee for 1-3 paintings generally means only one gets in.

coolside 03-12-2012 06:17 PM

Could it mean that they do not accept digital entries (or slides), just the actual artwork? If they don't have drop-off and pick-up dates posted, maybe they do "jury" on the spot. Very odd, I think.

joqua 03-12-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolside
Could it mean that they do not accept digital entries (or slides), just the actual artwork? If they don't have drop-off and pick-up dates posted, maybe they do "jury" on the spot. Very odd, I think.

In a school or small town environment, I've found it quite common to ask for artists to submit the actual works to the jurors. It implies that there aren't that many artists expected to enter. :)

RaphaelG1 03-13-2012 08:51 AM

Juried "in person" I presume means "on the spot" judging.
"Here's my 30 bucks, Whaddya think of my paintings?"
"Nope, you're out. Thanks for the money. NEXT!!!!"

This would be me waving goodbye :wave: to the Call for Artists.

lenday 03-13-2012 11:19 AM

As you can see, people who have responded feel that it is perfectly reasonable to question the lack of clarity with regard to the entry requirements etc.

Anyone who claims to be knowledgable in the promotion of art, whether it is for 'not for profit' shows, or commercial shows, must be fully aware of the concerns of artists when considering offering their work for any kind of private or public viewing.
Usually there will be some kind of written information/entry conditions provided and that may be available if you havnt yet investigated.

Insurance, security, sales, advertising, wall or other space allotted to each artist, hours and days of opening, entry fee or not etc, there are a number of concerns that crop up regularly for every show and artists have every right to be concerned about them as well as any other personal concerns.

I recommend you think carefully about all that you feel that you need when offering your work for shows, and ask for (written, preferably) responses to all of your questions, before considering the matter further.

Please take care.

Which of us here, has not heard of artists and/or their work, treated without respect and used as a means to raise 'easy money' with or without the presence of 'prestigious' guests or jurors, who may be conned just as any artist might be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie339
Hi, I have a question for you all. I received a Call for Artists from a local gallery that is in a college. It's open to all artists, $30 fee for up to 3 pieces. The card states that"all work will be juried in person". What does that mean? Never came across this before. So you give $30, and are then told there and then whether your work is in the show. Not to mention the possible public humiliation!! Any thoughts?

laneart 03-23-2012 11:10 PM

Well, entry fees supposed go for awards and prizes of the lucky winners, plus the costs associated with putting on the show, hiring the juror, renting exhibit space etc.....not so much a "rip-off", because it costs money to put these shows together....I used to serve on show committees for a local art association.
One of the WORST show organizations I have ever heard of is one in a small, but popular arts community in this region, the artists do not find out until the opening night reception if their art got accepted or not.....so you can imagine the awful humiliation of being handed your entry(ies) in front of a crowd of friends and other guests and being told yours was not chosen. Hopefully these "people" are not around to run the show anymore, but I will never enter a piece of my work in that one.
Recently I decided to not enter a show based on the zany rules and requirements......my thoughts are I don't have time for such nonsense. There are too many other juried art shows.
Because there are so many, even on-line shows, we can afford to be choosy. A good thing indeed.