WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Printmaking (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   over painting in watercolour linocut (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1462403)

theanimallover 03-01-2019 08:15 AM

over painting in watercolour linocut

I'm experimenting with linocut. I'd like to know the best inks to use as a base for over painting in watercolours. The watercolours will not just be on the paper, but over the ink in places too.

I'm using bog standard ink (cheap) and watercolours. Does anyone know the best relief ink for this? I'm thinking of longevity of the colour. Are all water based relief inks compatible with watercolour?

Thanks,

Karen

theanimallover 03-01-2019 10:09 AM

Re: over painting in watercolour linocut

Sorry, I couldn't work out how to edit.
My post is a bit long winded, my question really is - is it ok to paint standard watercolour paint over waterbased relief paint? Will there be any problems later on.
Thanks.

blackandwhite 03-01-2019 12:09 PM

Most water based relief inks do not dry waterproof, so any watercolor applied on top of such ink will blend with the ink.
I'm not aware of any water based relief inks that would be waterproof once dry. Some people use slow drying acrylic paints in relief printmaking, but it takes lot of practice to get everything right. If the paint dries on the tools or plate, it can be very difficult to clean it.

theanimallover 03-01-2019 05:12 PM

Thanks for your response, I'll carry on - I did some tonight and they seemed to blend in well.

I actually have some water mixable oils (ordinary for painting) and water based etching ink - do you think these are compatible too?

Thanks.

blackandwhite 03-02-2019 07:37 AM

Any water mixable oil paints/inks will dry waterproof, but the watercolour might not stick to those. The dried ink surface will remain bit oily that repels water and there is probably nothing where the watercolor could stick to. Many printmakers do color their prints using watercolors, but it is applied in the non-ink areas on the paper. That combination would work if you can design the artwork so that there is no need for watercolor on top of the ink.

theanimallover 03-08-2019 03:57 PM

Thanks for your help. I was experimenting with painting on the relief ink as I was printing white ink on black paper, so lot of white space.

Leather Roller 03-11-2019 12:34 AM

Hey since you know your image, try hitting the paper with watercolor first, after its totally dry hit it with your print block. Frame in your watercolor using liquid frisket

theanimallover 03-22-2019 05:43 AM

I've just googled frisket, I didn't know it existed!

Leather Roller 03-24-2019 12:42 AM

Its really fun stuff, used a lot with airbrush work. I was referring to the liquid version, as there is also solid sheet avail too.