WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Decorative Shopping Bag Vase (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453890)

jimwhalen 09-12-2018 04:36 PM

Decorative Shopping Bag Vase

This is a decorative craft. Not sure if this is the right forum for it or not.

I am coating plain brown miniature shopping bags with several coats of acrylic medium and then doing a final coat of decorative flow acrylic paint. Then the bag is mounted on a porcelain subway tile. The end result is a one of a kind decorative flower vase.

The bag is heavily coated and will not tear and is probably waterproof, but I am using a glass insert for the water and flowers. The pictures should make it clear.

Comments and critiques please.

jimwhalen 09-13-2018 05:20 PM

Re: Decorative Shopping Bag Vase

151 views and no comments. I was hoping to get some feedback about this/these.

La_ 09-17-2018 12:30 AM

super quiet here so i don't check in very often

it's a pretty 'vase' - could i trust it on a teak table? it's that question alone that would deter me from purchasing or constructing one.

and i have a pretty vast array of clear glass vases that i enjoy very much.

but yeah, it is pretty

la

jimwhalen 09-17-2018 12:40 PM

Thanks, so much for your comments, La. You CAN trust it on a teak table because it comes with a glass insert (as seen in the picture). Yes, even though it should be waterproof, I am using a glass insert for the waters and flowers.
I currently have this one for sale on eBay...no action yet.

La_ 09-17-2018 12:59 PM

ah, i inferred that you were personally using the insert, not including it with the 'package' sale. knowing that, it's become basically a two for one sale - live flowers in the vase, dried flowers in the 'bag'.

la

Gerardo G. 10-01-2018 09:23 AM

I think it's really original. I like the patterns on the surface. Do you think it'll last for a good amount of time? I personally wished the glass insert was as thin and long as the shopping bag, that would lead to arranging the flowers in a non-traditional manner. I also wished the handles were a bit more visible, somehow, with the flower arrangement. It isn't a shoping bag if it doesn't have handles ;).

Love the concept and the use of the tile as a base :D.

KarenESP 10-23-2018 03:03 PM

Love it, great gift

jimwhalen 11-06-2018 09:49 AM

Thanks for your feedback, Gerardo and Karen.

Gerardo, the handles can be more visible, depending on how you arrange the flowers.

elizabeth ours 03-20-2019 09:27 AM

I love it and if I saw it for sale, I would probably buy it. Very creative!!!