WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Animal and Wildlife Subjects (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   bird anatomy (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1476155)

ronsu18 01-21-2020 10:02 AM

bird anatomy

hi!
there's flaw/s in this sketch though i have several reference photos. curious to hear if the species is recognisable and if you can please point my nose to the hair that needs the splitting. i'll bring my magnifying glass if you bring yours.

BeeCeeEss 01-21-2020 10:51 AM

Re: bird anatomy

Looks like a roseate spoonbill to me.

Beverly

ronsu18 01-21-2020 02:05 PM

that's what google answered to "find this image". is it the tip of the bill or the apparent length of the legs? both? this is not a clear cut case, it's supposed to be something else. i see now that the goose-plump cheek is one of the biggest flaws, maybe that's it. more testing ahead.
more guesses welcome!

Triduana 01-22-2020 02:37 AM

Some kind of stork? It's a lovely, delicate drawing. :)

chammi kaiser 01-22-2020 03:12 AM

Looks like a heron of some kind to me.

Merriweather 01-22-2020 03:18 AM

I though Pelican, as I was looking at these birds yesterday, but I could be very wrong.

ronsu18 01-22-2020 08:43 AM

phase 2
even if a little too dark, and with the pug-like neck more unfinished than yesterday, i now got more suggestions on a pelican when asking the internet. it is a pelican. i think it's the bill, the diamond shape (think cross-section), which was a real challenge. i also got "cormorant" among the answers now, but that's the values.

thank you :wave: for comments and help!
this is for the AMAE WDE jan 17, thank you artastic for the wonderful reference!
more testing... 😊

fedetony 01-22-2020 10:23 AM

Dark is good... lovely drawing :)

chaffee 01-22-2020 10:34 AM

I have to agree with BeeCeeEss, Roseate Spoonbill is what immediately came to my mind. The flattened end of the bill is the namesake "spoon".
Nice drawing!

Tim

BeeCeeEss 01-22-2020 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronsu18
phase 2
even if a little too dark, and with the pug-like neck more unfinished than yesterday, i now got more suggestions on a pelican when asking the internet. it is a pelican. i think it's the bill, the diamond shape (think cross-section), which was a real challenge. i also got "cormorant" among the answers now, but that's the values.

thank you :wave: for comments and help!
this is for the AMAE WDE jan 17, thank you artastic for the wonderful reference!
more testing... 😊

I'm sticking with my original guess of roseate spoonbill. The tell-tale widening of the tip of the beak is consistent with a spoonbill. It flares out at the tip and acts as a little shovel for when they are sifting through the bottom silt looking for tasty nibbles. A pelican's beak continues to narrow all the way down to the tip. Also, the pelican's bill attaches to the face and neck area a bit differently, i.e., deeper, lower into the neck to accommodate the expandable pouch. The spoonbill's nostrils are high up near their face to allow them to breathe while their beaks are submerged. I think the beak is a bit too thick near the top/face (but not thick enough for a pelican) and a bit too short. That shorter beak makes the head look a bit too big for a spoonbill. Without seeing the reference or color markings, it's just a guess. The legs look OK since the bird is standing in shallow water.

Beverly

ronsu18 01-22-2020 01:08 PM

phase 3
thank you Beverly!
is the throat right here? the head is a little bit bigger but a portion of the neck fell behind. moved the eye, which should also make the head look bigger.
have to check the nostrils again, i feel this is glaringly bad atm.
but then there's the beak. i think i'm following the ref too much despite lack of detail in that exact place. the visible shape is most likely due to light and the camera, and i drew a tentative line to obscure the spoon slightly. the original ref it's here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...70&postcount=2

thank you for your comments and sorry for the bad photos!

BeeCeeEss 01-23-2020 10:30 AM

I see now by looking at the reference photo that this is, indeed, a spoonbill. Very nice drawing, by the way, since the ref was rather small and blurry. I think you did a great job with this. The confusion may be because, in the reference photo the one on the left has its head and bill turned a bit more toward the viewer and there is a bit of foreshortening going on with the length of the bill. The throat area looks fine. Very nice sketch. Congrats!

Beverly

ronsu18 01-24-2020 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeeCeeEss
I see now by looking at the reference photo that this is, indeed, a spoonbill.

😨
did not see that coming. the rest are pelican? the sneaky little......
thank you Beverly! it was easier to draw because of the bird on the right.
still working on it, busy day lazy night ahead, be posting when i have something.

BeeCeeEss 01-24-2020 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronsu18
😨
did not see that coming. the rest are pelican? the sneaky little......
thank you Beverly! it was easier to draw because of the bird on the right.
still working on it, busy day lazy night ahead, be posting when i have something.

No, they are all spoonbills. No pelicans in this reference photo. I'm sorry if I was not clear.

Beverly

Joe'sHottie 01-28-2020 11:02 AM

Check the base of the back of the neck where it meets the top of the wing - it's a little too thick there and could use some slimming.