WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oil Pastel Studio (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=393)
-   -   light (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1475976)

raizes 01-17-2020 04:21 PM

light

2 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone. Here's a couple of new ones. Focusing on ways to render in light. I found the ref pics on PMP. These have a similar palette and feel. 12 x 16 inches on pastelmat. First sketch-in layer and cover is done with nupastel...then top layers are oil pastels. Mostly neopastels/mungyos with sennelier for texture and highlights

Silver grey mungyo came in handy for sky color. Using neopastel white to really brighten the sky. YOu can see that on second one. (tree with rocks)

Thanks for looking.C&C is welcome and appreciated
Happy New year everyone :wave: . Feels good to be back after taking a couple months off.

spydersmomtammy 01-17-2020 07:40 PM

Re: light

These are great, Rich! I especially like that delicate curve in the first one.

tuscanny 01-17-2020 10:20 PM

Gorgeous Rich! The light effect is great.

terriks 01-18-2020 01:06 PM

These are both beautifully done, Rich! I'm very familiar with that silver gray Mungyo, and it's fascinating to think of using that for a bright sky. I am thinking your ref photos might have had very bright, or even washed out skies - a common problem with digital photography. This approach can make the painting true to the ref photo while still giving color and a sense of depth to a flat sky. Very inspired choice!

Nice to read you are still using the Nupastels for your base layer. I think they are a great way to build color but saves on OP's! ;)

raizes 01-18-2020 11:23 PM

Tammy, Christel, Terri. Thanks so much!

Terri, the ref photo definitely had a bright light saturated sky. Starting with that silver grey allows you to go lighter with white when you need that highlight. I either use that or another light grey (leans blue) for sky. Save the white for final highlights and things you want to bring out. Still love my nupastels! They are so easy to quickly sketch, compose and build up the first layer or two. Has definitely saved me a ton of $ and learned new skills by using a hard pastel.

SarahY 01-20-2020 03:50 AM

Beautiful work!

ntl 01-21-2020 08:12 AM

Good lights in both. I do like the "staccato" of highlights on the bark of the first.

What are nupastels? Are they a dusty material, or oil bound? Are they a different brand, similar to CONTE A PARIS pastel pencils?

Another question: Would you/have you used crayon as a first layer? why or why not?

raizes 01-21-2020 11:52 AM

Thanks Sarah and NTL.!!

NTL - nupastels are a hard pastel made by prismacolor. It's not a soft pastel or chalk. I get that question a lot. These are hard and brittle if dropped on hard surface. They are not all that dusty. Maybe a little. I think it really depends on the surface or paper you are using. I only used them when I work on pastelmat. I like them because they are easy for me to sketch with. Long 4" sticks that draw very well and cover. I think they might be similar to the conte pastel sticks. Oil pastels work great on top, but requires a layer or 2 or 3 of fixative.

I don't use crayon. I don't really have a reason why I don't, other than I really like how nupastels cover the paper

ntl 01-21-2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raizes
Thanks Sarah and NTL.!!

NTL - nupastels are a hard pastel made by prismacolor. It's not a soft pastel or chalk......Oil pastels work great on top, but requires a layer or 2 or 3 of fixative.

Thanks. Are you saying you use the nupastels first, then spray one or two layers of fixative, then use oil pastels?

raizes 01-21-2020 08:47 PM

Yes. I sketch and compose with nupastels first. I cover the paper. Then I spray a workable fixative...2 to 3 layers. Then I finish it off with layers of oil pastel. I use this method when I work on pastelmat.

When I work on hard surface like pastelbord or panels, then I do everything with oil pastel.