WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Landscapes (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   abstract landscape (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1466201)

Skyenorth 05-20-2019 11:38 AM

abstract landscape

Hi painting friends just been working on my latest abstract landscape. It is 16 x 12 inches, I do have a frame for it hence why the measurement is quite exact. I am going to do a few this size hoping I can find some more canvases in the art room!! This is a location in the Grampian mountains, no houses, boats or anything else that you may think you are seeing! :wink2: There is still room for improvement but am keeping going with these and will not destroy this one, sadly my Robert Hardy inspiration works I threw away. I think I was still missing my misty smooth paintings but in truth I can't paint that way anymore, I have to accept that and move onto pastures new. Always good to hear your comments, many thanks Caroline

oldnmartist 05-20-2019 03:20 PM

Re: abstract landscape

This is very interesting. I am wondering, since you are doing a "landscape", do the thoughts one normally has about landscapes, such as cool colors in depth and warm colors in foreground, filter through your mind as you are creating things like this?

Bizzibee 05-20-2019 03:22 PM

Well Caroline, you are following your destiny, which is to produce these beautiful abstracts! What amazes me is that you always come up with something new. You keep them fresh and interesting and the colours are always different. Needless to say this is yet another winner, and please don't throw any away. Nothing you do deserves the bin!

aspenman 05-20-2019 05:08 PM

Awesome color in what to my eyes appears to be a mountain in the far distance & a very colorful valley beneath it - truely a piece of fine art in the abstract - wonderful work.

Skyenorth 05-20-2019 06:03 PM

Hello oldnmartist, I have been a painter all my life and my mother was also an artist. I also tutor art but not in abstract art! But I did look at an interesting article about abstract landscape art and it does inform the artist to follow the same guidelines as when painting a non abstract landscape. More than being aware of warm and cool colours I am aware of where I have to place my shapes to draw the eye around the canvas, also how to use colour. Tonal values and design is very important, as important as using colour! But I am still learning as abstract is very new to me, I am enjoying the challenge. Thank you for asking.

Thank you so much Bizzi you always write so nicely and encourage so much. I am constantly trying to bring some sort of interest into these works. For too long my works have been too horizontal, so my mission is to get shapes working within the landscape better than they have been! I do regret the ones that ended up in the bin, but never mind, I will not put this one in the bin nor future ones, as it is all a learning process.

Hi Richard, you have indeed seen the scene as I had hoped you would. Mountain and valley! Thank you so much for your encouraging words, much appreciated.

Trikist 05-20-2019 06:22 PM

I looked at the painting and thought the top half looks like clouds in mountains. It was mountains. Maybe not totally abstract. Gary

Aussiesrus1 05-21-2019 01:04 AM

Caroline - A lovely integration of shapes, colors & value range. The overall textured effect works well & unifies the artwork nicely. Well Done !

Michael.

CaliAnn 05-21-2019 10:37 AM

I'm really loving your abstract landscapes Caroline - I love how you use color and shape in this piece - beautiful

arnieb 05-22-2019 05:12 AM

It reads as mountains to me Caroline - looking down from a high point towards the continuing range. It has a bleakness, yet its quite uplifting with feeling that clarity is about to emerge. Beautiful.
Is it not that you cant do the smooth painting, but that you don't feel like expressing yourself like that at the moment?
Arnie

graphicali 05-22-2019 08:51 AM

I like this a lot. I get the feeling of clouds scudding over the muir.

graphicali 05-22-2019 09:02 AM

I like this a lot. I get the feeling of clouds scudding over the muir.

Donna T 05-22-2019 09:19 AM

Wonderful abstract Caroline! It has weight at the bottom and airy space at the top - and everything in between is open for our interpretation. I have no idea how you pull this off but it's fascinating and I look forward to seeing more! I also like your recent September Morning piece and enjoy the visible waves of energy from your knife and brush that sweep over the skies and sea as well as the land. There are no static, boring places; every area is part of the drama!

Skyenorth 05-22-2019 05:07 PM

Hi Gary, it is an abstract landscape which means it has does convey some information to the viewer that is of something familiar to them.

Many thanks Ann, I am enjoying the series, never quite sure how they will turn out as I start a piece. Still a lot to learn as when I am finished I see how it could be improved when starting another painting.

Hello Arnie, thank you for your comment it is helpful to have your feedback on my painting, much appreciated. I don't get shoulder pain when working with the palette knife, so it looks as if this is a creative way forward for me.

Hello graphicali thank you for visiting me here and commenting on my abstract landscape attempt! It is an interesting journey and I am enjoying painting this series.

Hi Donna, rest assured I have no idea what I am doing but am enjoying the journey!! Many thanks for your lovely comments on both of my paintings

Ohiohawk97 05-22-2019 07:19 PM

I love your abstract landscapes Caroline! Your new direction has been fun to view and learn from your creative process.

landsmith 05-23-2019 02:33 AM

I can see a landscape in your painting as well. To me, it looks like large oceanside cliffs shrouded in mostly in fog. Beautiful.

Rob