WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Art Business (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   How do I go about getting collectors? (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1326735)

briansommers 08-20-2013 08:01 PM

How do I go about getting collectors?

I keep reading about artists who sell to their collectors.

My question is how/where do I get collectors?

Use Her Name 08-20-2013 09:56 PM

Re: How do I go about getting collectors?

Artists with collectors generally have been around a long time, and are prolific, personable, and public. Good luck!

timelady 08-21-2013 06:28 AM

Collectors are your buyers who come back and buy again and again. :) So repeat buyers. You get them first by finding buyers generally and then nurturing those buyers to build a relationship and if they like your work enough they follow your career and continue to buy new works.

Tina.

Greg Long 08-21-2013 12:18 PM

everywhere..... :rolleyes: but you need to find your own market where you can, and as others have said, then keep them loyal. A collector base is exponential, the more you have, the more will get introduced to your work.

Greg Long 08-21-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timelady
Collectors are your buyers who come back and buy again and again. :) So repeat buyers. You get them first by finding buyers generally and then nurturing those buyers to build a relationship and if they like your work enough they follow your career and continue to buy new works.

Tina.

Like me :lol:

Artyczar 08-21-2013 07:36 PM

What a question. How/where do you get collectors?

Haven't you heard? You simply get them at Wellingtons, the collector supermarket. They run about $299.99 USD.

Well, sorry, I couldn't resist.

I started with my own circle of friends. I wrote a newsletter to them asking if any of them would like to purchase any of my paintings. I invited them over to my studio for a get together and asked them all to bring at least one friend of theirs that I did not know.

Now, most of my friends could not afford art, but I started my work at low prices and I offered payment plans.

I gathered all the new people's addresses and then they also got newsletters, and I always asked if they knew of anyone who might be interested in my work to connect us: either bring them over or give me their address so I could add them to my list.

After some years, my list grew from 10 to 500. After 10 years, 500 to 1000. after the internet came along, the next 10 years I gathered a few thousand more. People opt out, and new people join. You win some, you lose some.

Patience, marketing, promotion, exhibitions, open studios, lots and lots of personal communication, commissions, sales, making it possible for someone who really does love your work to own it... you have to build your house carefully and kind of slowly, but it won't take forever. The internet makes it SO much easier. You'll see.

I hope I've helped and you didn't mind my little joke. ;)

timelady 08-22-2013 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Long
Like me :lol:

heehee, YES! :D

Jklms 08-22-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timelady

Tina.

I have been painting all my life but I'm new to selling artwork. So I haven't done much marketing. I just sell on local classifies. But I do get a lot of buyers come back and say "do you have any new works?" Or "my friends want to have your contact info." I guess these people could be my collectors someday. :crossfingers:

Greg Long 08-22-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jklms
I have been painting all my life but I'm new to selling artwork. So I haven't done much marketing. I just sell on local classifies. But I do get a lot of buyers come back and say "do you have any new works?" Or "my friends want to have your contact info." I guess these people could be my collectors someday. :crossfingers:

They already are! :D