WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scratchboard Art (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=347)
-   -   Pillow Talk - WIP (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457485)

Crias 11-13-2007 12:44 PM

Pillow Talk - WIP

I started a new piece yesterday (as soon as I finished the horses) and have decided to do it as a WIP. This is about 5 hours into it right now and so far it has come along really smooth. Size is 14"x18" The puppy is a weimeraner and the photo came from a referance on flickr with permission from the photographer, Jesuspark.

If this piece turns out as well as I hope it will, I will be entering it into a jurried art contest that is a dog only art contest, called art show at the dog show. It will be my first time entering a jurried art contest, but feel pretty good that my work should be accepted :)

Does it still flabergast anyone else that one can create such a feel of 3 dimension from just lines and dots? Even as the artist sometimes I think what a weird concept that I can create this thing that looks so real from what starts out as nothing :)

Rodman 11-13-2007 06:26 PM

Re: Pillow Talk - WIP

wow....it's something else...the coat is so....so....like a dogs coat...well done!!!!

PatrickHedges 11-13-2007 07:25 PM

Well, I'm not sure I always get mine as 3D as you get yours. My inspiration!!

Obedec 11-13-2007 07:38 PM

You'd better enter it!!! I remember you missed last year. this is looking like BIS. Did you see the scratchboard on there last year....feel confident, you're incomparable. That said, I have a piece I'll be entering too.
LOL
Karen

Crias 11-14-2007 12:48 AM

You guys are too kind!

No Karen I didn't see last years scratchbaord. What type of dog was it of? Is the piece you are entering scratchboard?

tanianault 11-14-2007 01:06 AM

What a stunning beginning! The top of his head looks just like it should, with short, velvety soft fur.

And yes, I know what you mean about feeling stunned by the dashes and dots thing. When I was at the Reflections of Nature show I was doing a little demo and a lady commented, "Wow, all that realism with a bunch of lines, that's amazing!" I had to agree with her - art is amazing!

- Tania

Obedec 11-14-2007 01:09 AM

I think it was the flat coated retriever, I try very hard not to be negative, but can I say I was very unimpressed, your work is so much more, it emotes better. Here's the link (I hope) http://www.artshowatthedogshow.com/Waiting..jpg
Yes, the piece I'm going to put in is scratchboard, if I get it back out and work on it...the Black Russian Terrier I worked on a while back. The owner kept making changes so I finally kept it. It was a freebie for her anyway.
Karen

Bertoni 11-14-2007 10:32 AM

Love the scratchwork on this....
every placement works beautifully!:thumbsup:

Crias 11-14-2007 01:27 PM

thanks all- I should have some time to work on it today, then have to work the regular job all week :( should post an update later today.

C

Crias 11-14-2007 07:48 PM

Todays progress-

PatrickHedges 11-14-2007 08:10 PM

I like these WIPs. Just like Tania's last cat, I struggle to see what you are up to with some bits half done, but them Boom!! it all of a sudden goes brilliant.

happy2paint 11-14-2007 08:51 PM

WOW! This is going to be great! I am amazed,also, by how a scratchboard piece turns out . I have tried to master watercolor, and flunked. I have tried acrylics and did so-so. But, scratchboard I can do and that amazes me. Now I want to learn to do it as well as you. I'll be watching your progress.
Linda

pinups 11-14-2007 09:48 PM

Very nice so far! I am looking forward to watching this progress. Which reminds me, I still have to finish off my kitty that I am working on. You guys are great inspiration with the volume of work that you complete.

Dave Slaughter 11-14-2007 11:20 PM

Very nice!!

Crias 11-15-2007 10:30 PM

Not a very good photo because I took it inside with less than ideal light, but gives an idea of where I am at on it