WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oil Pastel Talk (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=432)
-   -   What are your oil pastel goals for 2020? (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1475638)

SarahY 01-10-2020 04:34 AM

What are your oil pastel goals for 2020?

Happy new year oil pastelists! :clap: Really hope you all had a good one :heart:

So, what goals do you have for your art this year?

tuscanny 01-10-2020 10:00 PM

Re: What are your oil pastel goals for 2020?

Happy New Year, Sarah! To improve. And your goals?

Mira88 01-11-2020 06:15 AM

Happy New Year, guys! :)

Sarah, good to see you, I was wondering where you have gone :) New Year was nice and I was happy I managed to do a festive sketch on Jan 1 ;)

I do have some clear goals.
1) I want to use the color more wisely: learn to create a harmonious, balanced palette.
2) I would love to find out what my own oil pastels style is. Till now, I have been copying other people's styles but I want to find what is close to me. I only know I don't like to use OPs as a drawing medium (I mean a pure drawing with visible strokes all over the work), but what do I like? I plan to find it out.

Curious about what goals you guys have :)

terriks 01-11-2020 01:10 PM

Happy New Year to you, too, Sarah! Good to see you.

My main goal is to keep going, continue to try new challenges, and try to improve my overall painting skills. I have liked some of my ideas, but I don't execute them all that well. Can be disheartening, but I try to be patient with myself because of my utter lack of training and experience. I can only gain experience by slogging forward!

Mira, I agree with you that drawing with OP's alone doesn't work well. I prefer to do whatever sketching I'm doing prior to a painting with soft pastels or just basic colored pencils. Soft pastels erase easily - and when you're not good at sketching, erasing mistakes is part of the process! :lol:

I'm pretty happy with my assortment of OP's. The addition of the van Gogh set and the expanded Neopastels set has been a big boon. Meaning, I doubt I'll be buying a lot this year other than paper. A previous goal of having a well-rounded selection of OP's has been reached. Yay!

Sarah, have you given yourself any goals? :)

raizes 01-12-2020 06:49 PM

Awesome! I'm exploring digitizing my work and making prints from my originals. I'm already well on my way to figuring this out. I have large format scanner that will take up to 13x19 inches, so it fits pastelmat perfectly with room to spare. I'm then using Adobe Lightroom to edit the color and values. Save that as a uncompressed TIFF file. I'm finding that scanning my work is way more easier than taking a photo. Scanner does a better job capturing details and color.

Another goal is to develop and increase skill level in pet portraits and human portraiture. This means for 2020, I'm gonna be doing a lot more portraits! I'll still get in the occasional landscape, but want to get better and faster at portraits.

MaryFlora 01-14-2020 09:12 AM

Happy New Year to you all! Good question, Sarah!

Most of my goals are similar to Christel, Mira, Terri, and Rich:

- improve
- practice creating and using limited palettes
- paint more animals hopefully increasing skill
- try a new paper or two
- lastly continue using up my mix of ops. ;)

My oil pastels are getting low but still lots of pigment left in the box! It is a mix of qualities from inexpensive to higher grade and each brand has been useful depending on the paper and purpose. (I have noticed that the higher grade sticks seem to go farther and last longer.)

Next year's (2021) goal, however, will be to invest in some new oil pastels. :lol:

:wave: Mary Flora

SarahY 01-17-2020 05:23 AM

Raizes, I use a scanner too. Loads better than a camera!

To improve is a constant goal of mine, but this year I'm also going to play. I'm going to sketch and experiment and develop my style. The series of twenty I completed end of last year has opened all new doors. I'm going to do lots of small works so I'm less precious about them.

I would also like to sell a painting this year. Just one, not asking for huge commercial success :lol: but I would like to get out there. I've sold in the past, mostly animal-based commissions, but nothing I've dreamt up and painted off my own back.

I'm going to do more of the oil pastel challenges too. Where the monthly challenges are based on words or a theme, I am going to do hyena paintings or clothed figures. Better get started on 'Red'!

Speaking of, tuscanny, happy to host again :thumbsup:

tuscanny 01-17-2020 10:18 PM

Great! You're hosting February then.

ntl 01-19-2020 05:59 AM

Good thread. (maybe...:eek: )
With lots of goals stated, and I hope you (we) are all successful. :grouphug:
I haven't thought about that until reading all of yours, and you've --inspired--me a bit. I haven't done much art stuff for several months, maybe goal setting will help.
I am preparing a package for my 7 yo GD --correspondence art school. :)
besides listing youtube videos for beginning watercolor, there are 4 WC and one gouache project in it, with materials to complete one. She has the stuff at home for the others.

Today i hope to send oil pastel videos (for beginners), as well as a project or two. She has a 12 bar set of Cray-pas Sakura I gave her a year or so ago, and her mother gave her a boxed set from Michael's of 24 OPs, pencils, and paint. So I guess she likes the OP's.:)

SO one goal is to help her along with art lessons, which will also help me, with all 3. I do thumbnails and many times sketches with OPs before going with oil paint.

Other goals: I have several paintings first completed in about 1980's, and though they were WONDERFUL :smug: THEN, now look about 3/4 finished :lol: so plan to work on them. (And finish them again!)

I have three paintings started, and will finish them.

Ideas for several others to get onto paper, maybe even canvas.

AND, get out the oil bars again.
Another, to actually accomplish the above ...

SarahY 01-20-2020 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuscanny
Great! You're hosting February then.

:thumbsup:

terriks 01-25-2020 12:50 PM

ntl, I think it's fantastic to spend time getting your GD interested in art, especially in op's, since they're so kid-friendly. The videos are a great idea, too! This is something she will carry around in her memories her whole life. Good on you!

Hope you keep sharing your op sketches with us, as well as your finished paintings!

ntl 01-28-2020 07:28 AM

Thanks, Terri. I keep looking for time to do art--ANY KIND of art, but have so much other stuff to work on now, much of which I'm not familiar with. Big learning curve.

Annette73 02-22-2020 11:54 PM

Hi Everyone *waves*
I think my goal for this year is to actually Do some art - get the OP's out of their box and onto the paper. :-)
Looking forward to visiting the forum more and seeing all of your fantastic works!

tuscanny 02-23-2020 09:59 PM

Welcome to the op forum, Anette! Looking forward to seeing your work!

Crechat39 02-27-2020 04:49 PM

Bit late joining in......
1. Braver use of colour. I'm naturally drawn to bright colours in life but am a bit timid when I'm choosing colours to paint with.
2. Using ideas which will let me use some of the dozens of reds I have accumulated from the days when I tended to buy sets.
3 To try to get the rest of my art group to try oils. I get lots of interest as I sit there with filthy hands, surrounded by cloths and sheets of kitchen roll, working away with finger nails, palette knives and cheese knives that they are put off. W w