WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Still Life (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   A few Tangerines (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1464345)

skipstah70 04-08-2019 01:36 AM

A few Tangerines

Hi. My first time posting in the still life forum! :wink2: I found a cheap little led light at a dollar store the other day and installed it in a little cardboard light box I built for still life practice. I arranged a few tasty tangerines and decided to take if for a test drive! Here's the results after first session. This is 6x8 oil on oil primed panel. Still have to bring it all together in the next layer!

Any C&c welcome. Thanks for lookin' Mike :thumbsup:

My set up:

My paints:

skipstah70 04-08-2019 04:08 AM

Re: A few Tangerines

Another hour or so. Trying to consolidate larger shapes and kick around some of the edges to get a looser feel in areas.

bobbymac 04-08-2019 05:53 AM

I really like the looseness of this piece. Nicely done.

billmahler 04-08-2019 10:16 AM

I prefer version I
Well done

skipstah70 04-08-2019 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbymac
I really like the looseness of this piece. Nicely done.

Thanks Bobby!

Quote:

Originally Posted by billmahler
I prefer version I
Well done

Thanks Bill, I appreciate the honesty. I like fresher feel of 1 too, so I hope to reclaim a bit of that quality in the final vers~!

skipstah70 04-08-2019 09:22 PM

Here's how it ended up. Not sure how much more I can proceed on this. The tangerines look noticeably different after a few hours... and I can no longer restrain my self from eating them!

billmahler 04-08-2019 10:11 PM

Now I'll have to paint some tangerines.
The final version is good, but version 1 still appeals to me.
It might be that your darks are darker.
In either case, you're a fine painter and I hope that we see a lot more of your paintings

skipstah70 04-09-2019 08:03 PM

They are fun to paint Bill, even better to eat once the still life is done! I appreciate your preference for the first one over the last version still!! I can learn from this. I used to have no problem leaving the painting at say the level of finish in the first one, but I feel like I have to push the boundry a bit more. My colour always seems better early on, but they have an unfinished look that I would like to get better at!

Thanks for your complement, I truly appreciate it. You are e fine painter as well! Some great work on your blog. You're good with colour!

cheers Mike

Boogiechile 04-10-2019 10:48 AM

Really fine work. I love to see the evidence of the process in the finish...the paint being moved around so well.

Kmart 04-10-2019 01:51 PM

Its great to see all the colors that you are finding in the setup, expecially in the cardboard.
It's been a while, good to see your work on here!
Thanks,
Kyle

AllisonR 04-10-2019 04:56 PM

Such a simple subject and I am loving it. I can see the jopurney in the 3 versions. I do also like the freshness of the colors and value contrast in the first. Then you make it more subtle but play with edges, but the "furry" edges don't necessarily work great. So in the third version you calm that, but you add those nice vertical parallel strokes on the bottom, to break up the white horizontal highlight.

Really enjoying your change in brushstrokes and choice of colors and values. Keep posting.

skipstah70 04-10-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boogiechile
Really fine work. I love to see the evidence of the process in the finish...the paint being moved around so well.

Thanks Boogiechile.. Lately I've been embracing smooshing the edges around a bit more!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kmart
Its great to see all the colors that you are finding in the setup, expecially in the cardboard.
It's been a while, good to see your work on here!
Thank
Kyle

Thanks Kyle! FYI .. palette used here: White, U blue, Terra Rosa, Cad R, Cad Or, Cad Lemon, and a spot of Alizarin. I'm using a fairly cool light so hints of Aliz and Ultra B helped in the specular hightlight on the peels. The cardboard.. pretty much subtle variations of terra rosa and ultra b.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllisonR
Such a simple subject and I am loving it. I can see the jopurney in the 3 versions. I do also like the freshness of the colors and value contrast in the first. Then you make it more subtle but play with edges, but the "furry" edges don't necessarily work great. So in the third version you calm that, but you add those nice vertical parallel strokes on the bottom, to break up the white horizontal highlight.

Really enjoying your change in brushstrokes and choice of colors and values. Keep posting.

Thanks for your comment Allison. Your analysis is pretty much spot on. The far edge of the the empty peel was problematic to say the least. It was fairly high contrast, but I didn't want to resolve it with a really sharp line. It is tricky I find when painting, If you look at any given area you will find more and more detail. You could of course paint the whole painting that way, and a lot of people do.. but I don't aspire to paint that way. Areas of selective focus seem to make more sense to me, since we can only see a very small area in focus when we look at anything in reality. The vertical strokes at the bottom are the same reasoning. The subtle pattern was through the whole cardboard, but I just chose to throw a few hints nearer the center of focus.

pastelartprints 05-06-2019 05:30 AM

The only two things an artist really needs for still life paintings are stillness and life. The artist is the one who creates the life within the painting. and you nailed it.

gaykir 05-12-2019 07:45 PM

Very nice.