WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Critique Forum (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Backyard Red (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1179092)

Neverstsfyd 07-08-2012 01:59 PM

Backyard Red

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Backyard Red
Year Created:
Medium: Colored Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 9
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Comment upon everything you want. I'm a new artist trying to improve.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm having trouble with the vibrant red I want and the darker reds in contrast differentiating the petals. I know the leaves need work but you can comment upon anything I need to do.

Debzy 07-08-2012 03:36 PM

Re: Backyard Red

You have made a very good start and I credit those who have such patience to use coloured pencils. You rose shapes are delightful and the brickwork could almost be a photo! Well done! In my opinion, your roses are fine, but could use some darker reds. You may need to find a different dark colour (maybe it's the photo but there seems to be a purple clash) to show shadows and separate petals and individual flowers, and some highlights to bring them out of the drawing more. Some shadow on the wall behind or under the roses to explain your light source direction would also help make an impact. Your vibrant red is quite spectacular! Lovely start and welcome to WC. Cheers and best wishes Debs. =))

Andrewcody 07-08-2012 10:12 PM

I agree with Deb
It looks like you have used canson paper?
Not the best for coloured pencil unless you turn it over and use the smoother side.
Roses can be quite difficult to draw, but as with most things observation helps a great deal - draw what you actually see.

Regards
Andrew

Neverstsfyd 07-08-2012 11:12 PM

Just starting the art stuffy's. I used regular Strathmore sketchpad paper extra white fine surfaced. Some observations about myself. I noticed about every colored pencil artist on the web has an electric sharpener. I don't have an electric sharpener and the battery ones I have found aren't worth the money so I don't sharpen my pencils as often as I should. I also tend to hurry my work.

Andrewcody 07-08-2012 11:26 PM

I have never had an electric sharpener
I use a blade to sharpen pencils generally
or a manual sharpener

The texture on the paper you used is obvious, maybe that is what the 'surfaced' references?
You want to start with 'smooth'.
Maybe there is a lighting problem with the photo as the 'extra white' looks decidedly grey, I was going to comment on using coloured paper, glad I didn't

Regards
Andrew

La_ 07-09-2012 02:06 AM

just a thought
if you knock back the detail of the background
you make your work easier to bring detail to the (coi) foreground
coi = center of interest

la

crazywoman53 07-09-2012 10:48 AM

It's been a long time since I have worked in colored pencil so perhaps I should not be commenting at all, but if anything I suggest is useful good... if not then don't fret about it. I agree with La that while your bricks are very nicely done they compete with rose for detail and interest so soften those. On another piece of paper try layering some different colors to get the darker shade color you are after. Perhaps a brown, some greens as they are already in your painting and they are either in the same family as red or they are the compliment so they tend to knock the color back. Once you find that happy combination use it to take some of the red away and what is left will then really look quite red. The eye will see the other as red even though it is not the pure red the rose actually is. It is more an experiment in color conbinations that you need to try with the pencils you have but on a separate piece of paper as you don't want to muddle up what you have going right now.

Neverstsfyd 07-10-2012 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazywoman53
It's been a long time since I have worked in colored pencil so perhaps I should not be commenting at all, but if anything I suggest is useful good... if not then don't fret about it. I agree with La that while your bricks are very nicely done they compete with rose for detail and interest so soften those. On another piece of paper try layering some different colors to get the darker shade color you are after. Perhaps a brown, some greens as they are already in your painting and they are either in the same family as red or they are the compliment so they tend to knock the color back. Once you find that happy combination use it to take some of the red away and what is left will then really look quite red. The eye will see the other as red even though it is not the pure red the rose actually is. It is more an experiment in color conbinations that you need to try with the pencils you have but on a separate piece of paper as you don't want to muddle up what you have going right now.

Thanks! Erasers and razorblades are your friend. I virtually started over on the top right rose after getting the 132 color box today. I cannot post the photo for some reason. Oh well. Will try again tomorrow. G'night.

Neverstsfyd 07-10-2012 04:20 PM

Yay! I can post again.