WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Art Journals (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=502)
-   -   John's May Journal - Pen and Wash (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931737)

JTMB 05-03-2011 10:32 PM

John's May Journal - Pen and Wash

Hi folks,

This month I'm going to venture into some pen and wash sketching, with the subject being...whatever happens to suit the moment. I have done very little with pen and wash, but I've always liked the approach so decided to give it a go. The journal is a 9 x 5 1/2 inch Fabriano Venezia. Lamy fountain pens (newly acquired) are the implements used. Eventually I'll add some other color inks, and possibly some watercolor pencil and wash.

The first page here is from a reference image from Maria (SunFace) in the May monthly challenge in the Southwest forum.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's journals this month as well!

JamieWG 05-03-2011 10:57 PM

Re: John's May Journal - Pen and Wash

I knew you'd be a natural! Is this blue ink a cartridge that came with the Lamy pen?

Jamie

mhimeswc 05-03-2011 11:05 PM

Great tree bark, John.

I like that blue ink. Is it watersoluble, or did you dilute it to make a wash?

RainySea 05-04-2011 12:12 AM

Beautiful beginning John. Well done! Jamie is right.

Is that the Lamy blue ink? I've not used mine that came with the pens but it sure looks pretty.

How do you like the Fabriano journal?

JTMB 05-04-2011 12:23 AM

Thanks Michelle, Jamie and Rainy!

Yes, that's the ink that came with the Lamy cartridge. However, now that I see it on the screen, it is showing as more cyan than it is actually. It's definitely bluer than shown here. My camera tends to slant things toward cyan on indoor shots, and I try to color balance as best I can.

The ink is water soluble - at least before it has dried for a long period of time. This was washed with a damp brush after I sketched with the pen.

CandAlArt 05-04-2011 12:59 AM

Great start John. I'm more hooked by the week on pen/wash. Turns a scribble into a painting in mere moments. Just love it. Yours is so nice in blue!

virgo68 05-04-2011 01:26 AM

Hi John! Nice to see the new journal - using those water soluble inks is fun and so easy if you want to sketch out in the open, you need so few supplies. Have fun!

Joan T 05-04-2011 12:51 PM

Inks can give such nice washy effects if used with water. Good job, John!

DrDebby 05-04-2011 06:11 PM

Great start to the May challenge. Looking forward to seeing more. You did a marvelous job with it.

vhere 05-05-2011 07:15 AM

nice start :)

eyepaint 05-05-2011 08:54 PM

Good start. What do you think so far of ink + wash?

JTMB 05-05-2011 11:29 PM

Thanks Candace, Jackie, Joan, Debby, Vivien and EP!

EP - I'm really liking this approach so far. It's funny, but I've always preferred writing with pen rather than pencil, even when doing math...and obviously pen and wash fits right in with that. It's also very portable - with a waterbrush or two, you can control the wash enough that you don't really need any special place to work. I want to practice some more with single colors, and then add more colors and also perhaps mix other media in (e.g. watercolor pencils, although I guess those could be considered part of the 'wash' technique).

Here is my second attempt. This is a Peregrine Falcon chick, based on a photo a friend of mine took yesterday. The photo was fuzzy, so the detail is fuzzy here - but then again, so is the chick at this stage in its development. It's basically a fuzzball. The basic anatomy shows up better at this stage than when they're fully feathered. One thing that surprises me though is how big the legs look - they are very muscular (makes sense when you consider the fearsome predator that the Peregrine is) but also have as much or more down on them now as any other part of the body and so they look huge. Also, the upper breast here bulges out greatly because the chick had just been fed - very well apparently. When you get to know birds, you can tell even on an adult raptor that it has eaten and how well it ate by how distended the crop is under the feathers. So far so good for this year's only chick - the first year that I know of that this pair has gotten only one to this stage.

This is in the Fabriano Venezia journal. Again, the ink shows as less blue and more cyan in the photo that actually.

JamieWG 05-06-2011 08:09 AM

How adorable! I'm so glad you're enjoying the ink work. Does it bother you that there's really no going back or correcting like you can do with pencil, or that you can't work into it slowly like graphite? Do you find the sketches go faster than pencil sketches? How do you like the Fabriano Venezia journal?

To me, the ink looks more blue than cyan. I guess our different monitors display color differently. I'm on a Mac right now.

Jamie

DrDebby 05-06-2011 05:42 PM

The chick is so cute. Looks like you are taking to pen and wash really well. (I was going to say like a duck to water... :wink2: )

RainySea 05-06-2011 07:25 PM

cute baby!!