WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Shutterbug Pub (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   The Shutterbug Pub, Tuesday, January 21, 2020 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1476147)

dlwilliams48 01-21-2020 06:32 AM

The Shutterbug Pub, Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Good morning from yet another chilly morning. A little colder than yesterday morning. We are supposed to leave for a 5 day camping trip on Sunday, but we are going south so it should be a bit warmer. Hope so because it is a hassle camping when the temp gets below freezing. Have to worry about the water hose freezing so I usually disconnect it before we go to sleep. We'll see if I have to do that this time.

A few more from New Mexico.

Several photographers waiting for sunset at the south "crane pond" near Bosque del Apache.

Wood Duck. I took this photo at a park within the city limits of Albuquerque the day before we flew back home. You can see that he is walking on a thin layer of ice.

damar 01-21-2020 09:32 AM

Re: The Shutterbug Pub, Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Thanks for starting the daily, Don!
I like all 3 of these, but I'm partial to ducks!
Great color and interest in all 3 photos!
Keeping warm?
We have a wood heater downstairs that we bought years ago for our other house but we haven't installed it in this house.
High ceilings and the cost of the stove pipe is a bit of a deterrent, along with the other issues
associated with wood heat.
(we used to heat exclusively with wood: dust, soot, ash, bringing in bugs from the woodpile etc etc!)
But nothing like a big hunk of hot cast iron in room!
I'll be back later with a photo to post.
Slim pickins for new photos.

Luv2shoot 01-21-2020 09:59 AM

Don, another incredible start for a daily. All three images grab me for clarity, color, composition and more. You sure did well.

Speaking of cold, would you believe that I am disappointed that it is not cold enough? I wanted to go out this morning and try to take photos of "freezing" bubbles. But it is ONLY 20 degrees and that's not cold enough!

Patty, how is your quilting coming along? when I think of keeping warm nothing beats a beautiful hand made quilt.

damar 01-21-2020 10:45 AM

HI Lorell!
I have to find 3 light prints to set the dark squares in and I've been pre-occupied with the Mac here, so thats up in the air right now.
Quilting stuff is downstairs, computer stuff is upstairs!
would be great if they were on the same level, but thats not feasible.

Freezing Bubbles!!! How cool is that. Maybe if the temps drop tonight
you can do "Frozen Bubbles At Night"
:)

Had to go back to my Winter 2016 Archive for this one

dlwilliams48 01-21-2020 01:39 PM

Lorell, here is something that was posted on a FB page concerning frozen bubbles. You my find it useful. Kevin Gaston has posted some great photos of frozen bubbles.

"Here is today’s solution and techniques I used to create and photograph the frozen bubble. My approximate solution is 60% Dawn dish detergent, 20% Karo syrup and 20% water. Sugar and water can sub for Karo, but needs to be heated first. Refrigerate solution so it is cold when you make your first bubble. Have extra cold water available if solution is too thick and bubbles do not start to crystalize within 5 seconds. Gentle stir solution rather than shake. I had success today between 25° -28°. Blow bubble close to cold surface. Leaves, rocks, sheet of ice, sheet metal, etc. will do for the surface. The surface should be 3-4 feet off the ground. Blow bubble close to the surface. There will be a number of failures, so make extra solution. I used a drinking straw, but a coffee stirrer would make a better bubble. Have your camera near by. I recommend a fast shutter speed like 1/1000th-1/1200th as the crystals with form fast. f8 guarantees good depth of field. Test exposure before you make your first bubble. Go ahead and expose on the dark side. Don’t worry about ISO. Use noise reduction like “Luminance” in Lightroom later. Face the sun and shoot parallel or better yet upward. If you choose to use auto focus, aim for the side of the bubble as aiming for the middle may not lock focus in. Keep a towel handy. You don’t want to be continuously touching the camera with soapy sugary hands. An assistant to blow bubbles would be nice."

By the way, nice little Pine Warbler there Patty.

damar 01-21-2020 02:18 PM

Thats what that is!
Thanks Don
I knew it wasn't an American Goldfinch.
I have an Audubon field guide but can't get to it right now.
It was snowing when I took that photo.
I'm not feeding the birds this year.
I fed them for years and ended up with a large herd
of mice moving into our lawnmowers, leaf blower shoot,
and scooter engines.
Squirrels kick all the seed to the ground (trying to get to the black oil sunflower seed)
and the mice come from miles around.

Greenhill 01-21-2020 04:15 PM

Don, that's a very impressive set of pictures, particularly the toger waiting for sunset.

Patty, superb pose and capture, and great IQ, especially since it's from 2016.

droll13 01-21-2020 06:04 PM

Excellent, Don: #1 - great exposure; #2 - terrific light; #3 - who doesn't love the colorful wood duck?

Beautiful image, Damar.

Hi Mark. (I'm not getting what you mean by IQ, but I'm sure when you explain it I'll feel really dumb.)

Sorry, but I have no photos to contribute today.

Hope you all have/had a good day.

Greenhill 01-21-2020 06:14 PM

IQ (Image Quality) Dave.
I hate acronyms and here I am caught using one!

damar 01-21-2020 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Don, that's a very impressive set of pictures, particularly the toger waiting for sunset.

Patty, superb pose and capture, and great IQ, especially since it's from 2016.

Thanks Mark!
My main camera in 2016 was my Nikon D200
which was a great camera in its time.
Came out in 2005.
I got it around 2007.
Turned over the odometer twice.
I still have it, but it has a falling off of sharpness
(or I just got used to higher IQ from newer gear)
Its part of my "too much gear" collection.
:thumbsup:

Luv2shoot 01-21-2020 07:06 PM

Don, thanks for the recipe. I find it very interesting that you add sugar to the formula. I had look at a lot of You Tube Videos and the one said that you had to be a 10 degrees for colder for it to work. You posted that you were successful at 25-28, I could have tried it this morning after all. Now we have a slight warming trend. I saved your formula and tips. Eventually I will try it but not in February since we will be in t-shirts and sandals at that time.

My monthly photo club meets this Thursday. I am trying to think if you saw all of my photos. You all usually preview them first and based upon your reaction, I know whether or not it is good enough to share with the club.

Patty,
Sweet Yellow bird. Reminds me of the Song, Yellow Bird, up high in the banana trep....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpUuB37L-I

What a great melody and what a fine photo, definitely good IQ (hee hee, I had no idea either)

damar 01-21-2020 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luv2shoot

Patty,
Sweet Yellow bird. Reminds me of the Song, Yellow Bird, up high in the banana trep....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpUuB37L-I

What a great melody and what a fine photo, definitely good IQ (hee hee, I had no idea either)

And can you name the commerical airline that used part of that song as their jingle???

dlwilliams48 01-22-2020 09:03 AM

Quote:

You posted that you were successful at 25-28

Ah, not me, but someone who posts regularly on a FB group that I belong to. I haven't tried it yet but would like to.

Luv2shoot 01-22-2020 09:32 AM

Quote:

And can you name the commerical airline that used part of that song as their jingle???

No, I will have to google that one.

man from ironbark 01-23-2020 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luv2shoot
No, I will have to google that one.

While your time away in here?
http://www.whatisthatsong.net/commer...rcialsa-z.html

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but A Coulson Aviation C 130 water bomber has crashed in NSW killing all three on board. All from the USA, here to help fight the fires.