WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oil Painting (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   coming back to wetcanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1464411)

oldnmartist 04-09-2019 12:14 PM

coming back to wetcanvas

I have come back to wetcanvas after a long dry stretch (sic) and it seems to me that there is not as much commenting on submissions as there used to be. Is that true? If so, I wonder why?

Yorky 04-09-2019 12:22 PM

Re: coming back to wetcanvas

Glad you came back, I hope some of your old friends are till around at that your work is appreciated.

Doug

oldnmartist 04-09-2019 12:25 PM

Yorky, what I notice is that no ones work is being commented on as much.

Yorky 04-09-2019 12:36 PM

I am not a regular in Oils, but if you ask for Comments you will have a better chance.

Doug

sidbledsoe 04-11-2019 06:27 PM

oldie, I think that it is true that there is less than in the past. The forums I visit most are oils, plein air, landscapes, color theory, etc. and several of them have less participation than say about 10 yrs ago.
I think there may be a number of reasons, but I would be speculating if I offered any guess about what they might be.

Alan P. in OC 04-11-2019 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldnmartist
I have come back to wetcanvas after a long dry stretch (sic) and it seems to me that there is not as much commenting on submissions as there used to be. Is that true? If so, I wonder why?

Welcome Back!

I agree there isn't as much commenting.

I believe (with no solid numbers to support this theory) there are fewer paintings posted in general here than when I started to visit WC about a decade ago.

I cannot speak for others, but I don't comment nearly as much as I used to because (and this is strictly my own reason) I don't see much work here anymore that is near enough to my painting style. Sure there's some great work that pops up quite often and I try to comment on the ones that I admire, but much of what I see isÖ let's just say if you can't say anything nice than keep your fingers off the keyboard.

I love seeing work from my WC friends like Derek, Bill Martin and many others and WC is literally the first thing I look at online when I get up in the AM. I just wish there was more paintings of my style posted more often here, and fewer arguments about WMO's and how zinc white will delaminate and how to make my paint dry faster.

Pinguino 04-11-2019 11:55 PM

I used to comment more. But even though I still look in various places, I rarely comment regarding artwork nowadays.

Reason: A lot of it is photorealistic (or wannabe), or a copy of an existing master work. What can I possibly say about that?

sidbledsoe 04-12-2019 07:51 PM

Maybe other social media like Facebook has less constraints, IDK.

WFMartin 04-12-2019 08:09 PM

I don't remember precisely, but a long time ago, it seems that some moderator had suggested that the oils forum was more for discussions, rather than for posting painted work, ......for what reason I don't know, or remember, except that at that time there were several other similar art sites that were absolutely insisting upon that, and someone here thought it to be a good idea.

I didn't. So I posted work anyway.:lol: :lol:

And, I don't rightly remember just where we were "supposed" to post our work, instead of the Oil Painting Forum.

Anyway, I think that may have been the reason a few quit posting their work.

stapeliad 04-12-2019 08:29 PM

Welcome back!! :wave:

Yes there is less traffic here than there used to be, and there are several reasons for it. But the community is still active and it is still a good place to be.

Quote:

I don't remember precisely, but a long time ago, it seems that some moderator had suggested that the oils forum was more for discussions, rather than for posting painted work, ......for what reason I don't know, or remember, except that at that time there were several other similar art sites that were absolutely insisting upon that, and someone here thought it to be a good idea.

The main oils forum is for posting paintings and discussion on painting techniques etc.

The Tech Forum is discussion on materials and all the scientific stuff people like so much. :)

carolkay 04-13-2019 12:35 AM

I donít post as much as I use to years ago . But Iím not doing as much art as I was for reasons I wonít go into!
I try to coment on the art I see as good to my personal liking . And if I just feel itís not - then I donít say anything negative.

AnnieA 04-13-2019 11:24 AM

I don't post as much either, nor do I comment on the work of others as much as I used to, but I'm hoping that with a new potential owner, the site will start to pick up again. There's so much potential here!

oldnmartist, Welcome back. I recognize your name from way back!

Ellis Ammons 04-13-2019 02:39 PM

Wish I had time to paint. Im jelly.

btw
HI EVERYBODY :wave:

oldnmartist 04-14-2019 05:42 AM

Who is the new potential owner? I had not heard that.

ronsu18 04-14-2019 05:43 AM

i believe the emphasis is on the "potential" here?