WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Information Kiosk (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=329)
-   -   PAINT-A-LONG anyone interested in joining us?(Beach scene/sunset) (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338105)

Charlie's Mum 02-28-2013 10:04 AM

PAINT-A-LONG anyone interested in joining us?(Beach scene/sunset)

Another member (ColinS) and I are having a Paint-a-long doing a reasonably simple sunset and beach scene.

If you are interested in giving it a go, please join us in this thread and share your work at various stages.

This is the reference, by kind permission of Beth (blarkin) -

St. George's Island, Florida.

I'm using a deep-sided canvas, triple primed, 20x28".

I've increased the saturation on the original - purely for my on purposes. Others may prefer to keep the colours lighter.

I also wanted a lower eye-level so did a couple of very quick thumbnail sketches to see that it would work OK.

Remember, a reference is just that - a starting point and inspiration:D

I'm using mostly regular heavy-body paints (Cryla, Liquitex, W&N) but also some Atelier Interactives because of the colour - mixed with the ordinary acrylics the working time for the Interactives is reduced somewhat.

My colours -
Tit. White, Medium Magenta, Napthol Crimson, Prussian Blue (Interactive), Naples Yellow Deep, Arylamide yellow light (Inter.) and Brilliant Blue.(Liquitex)

Brushes for the sky - a 1" house painting brush and a 3/4" acrylic (Royal Soft-grip)

Plus a spray bottle for misting.

I laid masking tape along the horizon line to keep it straight!

I first sprayed the canvas to keep the paints as soft as possible for blending - add water as and when necessary during the process.:)

Keep brushstrokes as long and horizontal as possible.
I started with the white and pruss. blue and worked down from the top - working right across the canvas with each stroke.
clean brush before adding the yellow - and similarly, work down through other colours towards the horizon.

When dry, I re-taped the horizon to keep the sea line straight and clean before blocking in sea - adding a medium to (supposedly) seal the line and prevent seepage.

Didn't work!:( (.. and just as I was starting to clean the line, friends called - so I have that to do again!):rolleyes:

So I'm now just about ready to block in the sand dunes and also to decide if the sky needs more adjusting. The water will get more work!.

1 - the rough th'nails!

2. First pass at sky

3 first blocking of sea.

I hope to add more tomorrow.

I hope some others might like to join me here and keep me company:lol:

chammi kaiser 02-28-2013 10:47 AM

Re: PAINT-A-LONG anyone interested in joining us?

Maureen, it is a beautiful reference. I wish I could join in but my acrylics are already packed for removal to my new home. Sigh!! I shall be watching your progress. Looks great already. Great blending in the sky area.

ColinS 02-28-2013 11:09 AM

Nice work, Maureen. I am about where you are, but I have started to try meddling with the sand :) and my sky-blending isn't pretty. Resembles a block of spumoni ice cream :envy: so will have to work on that. I have also adjusted the horizon line a little from the photo - not as dramatically as you. I am at the office right now (bad bad must work not blog :crying:) so will have to wait til this evening before I can post what I have done.

Thanks for getting this started.

cheers,

Colin

Charlie's Mum 02-28-2013 11:36 AM

Hi Colin - will see your's tomorow then - you're so far behind our time over there :lol:

Chammi - I wish you could join us too - but you have too many other things at present - all in boxes!:lol:

ColinS 02-28-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie's Mum
Hi Colin - will see your's tomorow then - you're so far behind our time over there :lol:

The west coast of N. America is Yesterdayland. It was fun on the eve of the Millennium though - we got to see all the spectacular midnight fireworks from New Zealand/Australia through Asia to Europe before it was even time for afternoon tea. :smug:

DominicM 02-28-2013 11:52 AM

oo tempting

Violetta 02-28-2013 04:19 PM

This is a great idea! I'm not sure if I will have enough time but I will be watching for sure! The reference is so very tempting as well as the opportunity to learn from a master, Maureen. :) I'll see if I can make time to do this. :crossfingers:

Charlie's Mum 02-28-2013 04:41 PM

Haha - not sure about the 'master' bit Judy but it will be good to have you along, so please do try :D

I'd like to think that those less experienced can learn from seeing other people's work - like yur own:)

Hi Dominic - please be tempted and join in :D

bhavani.krishnan 02-28-2013 04:48 PM

I'm tempted too Maureen. I'll try to join in on the fun :). Agree with Judy on the opportunity to learn from a master.

ColinS 02-28-2013 10:17 PM

Please miss, we can all learn from The Master :D :

Here is my effort so far:

It is on canvasboard (20 x 24 I think but I am too lazy to go downstairs again)

I have not used masking tape, spray bottles, housepainting brushes or any other similar high-tech gizmos. :lol:

The pink 'blob' at the bottom of the grass is going to turn into the patch of sand hit by the sun, so that is an underpainting that I can see from the photo has bled into to the sand.

Oh well, that's surely why titanium white was invented.

vmrs 02-28-2013 11:36 PM

Interesting! I love looking at WIP's. Both of you have unique styles too so this is great. I'll join if you don't mind my black backgrounds. :D

bhavani.krishnan 03-01-2013 03:36 AM

Maureen, Colin - I am so excited to report that I decided to join as well. Once I got started I just could'nt stop :lol: . So I kinda painted the whole thing in one sitting. Did not click WIP pics also. Sorry :( . Hope it is ok to share the completed painting :angel:
So, I decided to keep the high horizon line as I am working on another seascape with a high horizon. So thought this will be good practice. I am quite unhappy with the water. Could not portray the depth I wanted. Should I increase the value of the blue-gray's in the distance? I think overall the water is too light? Am looking forward to see how you guys handle the water. I welcome your thoughts on how I can improve the water or anything else for that matter. C&C welcome

Charlie's Mum 03-01-2013 05:49 AM

Oh welcome Bhavani - finished or not!:lol:

Virginia - don't mind black b/g at all - glad to have you here:D

Bhavani - if you look at the ref. you'll see the water is quite a lot darker at the horizon - increasing the depth there, making it lighter towards the fron and where the waves are visible will give the sense of distance we're all after:)

The sky is lovely - nice blending ther :thumbsup:
I do like your light in the foreground - and the path helps to lead us in - that's why I wanted one too ;)
Your sea oats are good too.
Yes - good to have this :thumbsup: - thanks for joining us with your energy:D Good example of an interpretation of a ref.:)

Colin - get those high-tech gizmos out for the blending of the sky ;) ...... well, the spray will help if you do want to add another coat and blend .... I hope you do:D You should still be able to keep the painting light and use the paint thinly ... actually, my paint is fairly thhin too, it's scrubbed and blended so much!:lol:

Back to the easel .............

bluefish 03-01-2013 07:13 AM

Maureen......I can't wait to see the 'thonged beauties' on the beach.....:lol:

but seriously, it's a real beauty so far......I see this very site everyday.....nice to see you painting my home.....and yes, I've painted it many times.....

'blue :wave:

cem 03-01-2013 07:40 AM

What a great idea and beautiful reference pic. I would love to join in and learn from the "master" as well. I have so many irons in the fire already, but maybe I can work it in.