WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Colored Pencil (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Another Seascape (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1468751)

Dubs 07-21-2019 12:56 PM

Another Seascape

18” x 24” Colored Pencil Drawing on Strathmore Gray Mixed Media Paper with Faber Castell Poly Chromo Colored Pencils, charcoal, Koh-i-nor Woodless Colored Pencils, and some white gauche for highlights. No reference used — I made it up in my head as I went along 🤷🏻‍♂️

C&C welcomed and encouraged — even if it is Simon Cowell style. 🤪 Thanks for looking and any time you are willing to share.

JaneChis 07-21-2019 01:08 PM

Re: Another Seascape

Darkly, stormily atmospheric - absolutely gorgeous - and incredibly, wonderfully detailed and realistic for a piece you made up out of your head. I'm too new to art to comment on details or technique, but the scene portrayed is beautiful and bleak, and made me shiver a little. I love the subtle gradient and shadows in the sky.

Dubs 07-21-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneChis
Darkly, stormily atmospheric - absolutely gorgeous - and incredibly, wonderfully detailed and realistic for a piece you made up out of your head. I'm too new to art to comment on details or technique, but the scene portrayed is beautiful and bleak, and made me shiver a little. I love the subtle gradient and shadows in the sky.

Thank you for your encouraging compliments. Im pretty new to drawing, also. I started in October 2016. I don’t practice often as I should. I am bad to start a piece and then put it down for fear of messing it up — like with this exact drawing. I did the sky about 5-6 months ago but stopped working on it out of fear of messing up the water. I have had many failed drawings that had a beautiful sky but I dropped the ball on drawing the water, which ruined the whole entire drawing. I will try to upload the WIP’s of this drawing. And, it doesn’t matter how new you are to drawing/art. If you see something, then it is just as valid as someone else seeing it that is a long time artist.

Pingpongfan 07-22-2019 06:34 AM

It turned out really well. Thanks for the progress pics.
Vena

KaySilver 07-22-2019 09:34 AM

Excellent atmospheric seascape - I really appreciate seeing the progress shots, to see how this developed.

Dubs 07-22-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pingpongfan
It turned out really well. Thanks for the progress pics.
Vena

Thank you very much!

Dubs 07-22-2019 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaySilver
Excellent atmospheric seascape - I really appreciate seeing the progress shots, to see how this developed.

Thank you very much!

JaneChis 07-22-2019 03:28 PM

If asked, I would've guessed that this piece was from a long-time artist - it has the hallmarks of someone who's practised and confident - the barely-there lights and colours in the sky, and the naturalistic and subtle marks on the sand - and that mesmerisingly stark sea! I'm really surprised you started less than three years ago - which of course gives me hope for improvement of my own efforts (though I'm guessing you started off with some natural talent) - thanks for the encouragement in return.

Dcam 07-22-2019 09:27 PM

Hey Dubs: what beautiful grays you've rendered. A fine CP drawing with a strong composition.

ocmd123 07-23-2019 09:23 AM

Nice work! I love doing seascapes on the toned tan paper with graphite and white cp. I bought a gray pad but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Dubs 07-23-2019 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dcam
Hey Dubs: what beautiful grays you've rendered. A fine CP drawing with a strong composition.

Thank you, Dcam! 😎

Dubs 07-23-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocmd123
Nice work! I love doing seascapes on the toned tan paper with graphite and white cp. I bought a gray pad but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Thank you, ocmd123! I have some toned tan paper that I have not tried yet, but I am looking forward to trying it out.

KarenESP 07-23-2019 03:58 PM

For colored pencil? Wow!!! Wish I was there.

MaryFlora 07-23-2019 07:42 PM

What a beautiful seascape....everything just flows together so smoothly. A painting to enjoy for years!

Your head sure didn't let you down when creating your work! :lol:

Mary Flora

Dubs 07-24-2019 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenESP
For colored pencil? Wow!!! Wish I was there.

Karen, thank you very much! I followed your facebook art page — your work is jaw dropping. 😍