WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Soft Pastel Learning Center (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=439)
-   -   The Spotlight - February 2016 - Simplifying Part II (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1397881)

Still-trying 02-05-2016 06:13 PM

Re: The Spotlight - February 2016 - Simplifying Part II

JudiB. Cheap paper may be fighting you. Perhaps if you spray it, assuming it can take the spray without wrinkles...it might get some tooth to allow you to work.

Your painting is soft and atmospheric. The distant trees are pushed back nicely. The water lays down flat. Sometimes that doesn't happen! So you have some good things going. The water is a lovely color.

robertsloan2 02-05-2016 06:53 PM

Judibelle, wow. You did great on simplifying, cropping out an entire island of trees was a good idea. Well done. It worked fine even on cheap paper. Maybe you can redo it on good paper, with all those preliminaries it makes sense. Great texture on the trees and water.

Ruthie, wow! Love seeing your steps. So powerful and so well organized, gorgeous finish.

Raini, excellent jonquils! I like how you accented them and used stronger value changes than the photo, the painting is much better than its reference.

naglel 02-05-2016 09:07 PM

Ruthie, wow another beauty! The red on the little shelter is a great bit of pop! Great to see your progress pics...it doesn't look like you blend much if at all?? I'm trying to work with sanded paper so curious.
Judibelle I like your thumbnails/notans and Jay your idea of the value punch card is brilliant! Beautiful crop of the ref with great atmosphere Judi! Agree better paper may help!
Thanks everyone for comments on my paintings...Robert, I had to look up Jonquils lol, If my paintings never improve I can say that my English did!

Still-trying 02-06-2016 05:25 AM

Raini. You made me smile about the English improving.

And about the value chart..they sell them that way. Not my invention. But it does make it easy if you need it.

kedwards 02-06-2016 06:38 AM

Ruthie, another gorgeous painting. I love seeing when you put something new up, as they are always beautiful and inspiring. The atmospheric background provide nice depth, which you enhanced nicely with the foreground grass. It's funny how attention is so grabbed by the color red. The building is so small and simple, but a very strong focal point with that color

Judi, too bad about the paper if it didn't allow you to do what you had in mind, but the painting came out pretty as is and you were true to the exercise of simplification.

Judibelle 02-06-2016 03:38 PM

thank you, kedwards, Raini, Rob, and Jay....I will not be using that paper again.

Now starting on the one Ruthie did, another 'challenge'. But that's what it's all about, isn't it!

DAK723 02-06-2016 06:41 PM

Raini, Very nice flower painting! Some of those background shapes are very interesting, too!

JudiB, Nice job on the landscape! yes, cheaper paper - or any paper not made for pastel can be very frustrating. It looks like the paper did not allow you to build up any sort of dark value - which is often the case with non-pastel papers.

Ruth, Lovely painting! Those trees are made up of some wonderful silhouettes! And I think it is worth pointing out that each tree - even though they are similar in size, has it's own individual shape! It is so easy, once you draw or paint one tree (or cloud, or rock), that you sub-consciously make the next one too similar! At least that is what often happens to me! And the way you have captured the sunlight - especially on the background hills - is wonderful!

Don

Lucylove 02-07-2016 07:24 PM

Not really used to doing thumbnails but I have a lot to learn. Stepping it up! Working on both blocking them in and making just outlines, hopefully recognizable with not too much detail.

robertsloan2 02-07-2016 07:42 PM

Great start, Lucylove! I like both your thumbnails, looking forward to more!

Ruthie57 02-08-2016 04:08 AM

Thank you for all your comments on my effort. I really did intend to comment on all the posts. However, yesterday I tripped, fell and broke my left wrist/arm :( I am so mad at myself and now quite disabled for a little while as my right arm still lacks strength from last year's fracture. Grrrr!!! I'll try and comment when I have the time.......

Still-trying 02-08-2016 08:20 AM

Oh RUTHIE, I'm so sorry to hear this. Hugs hugs hugs. Hope you can visit. You are such an inspiration. Best wishes. 💐🌺🌷

Lucy, your sketches look lovely. That scene with the boat is the one that put the brakes on my painting. Funny. I hit a block there. Anxious to see what you do there.

naglel 02-08-2016 09:45 AM

Lucy, the thumbnails look great!
Ruthie, oh no! 😧 What bad luck, hope you have a speedy recovery!

Judibelle 02-08-2016 01:47 PM

Oh Ruthie...So Very Sorry! Sending lots of healing thoughts your way, with hopes that your recovery will be swift.....

Lucy....good thumbnails....looking forward to the paintings!

Thank you, Don...I consider that a 'practice paintng'...LOL

DAK723 02-08-2016 03:31 PM

Ruth, Oh my! So sorry to hear of your fall. Heal up quickly!

Jess, Thumbnails are looking good! Looking forward to the paintings!!

Don

kedwards 02-08-2016 07:36 PM

Oh that's awful, Ruthie. I hope you at able to recover quickly and fully.