WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Soft Pastel Learning Center (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=439)
-   -   The Spotlight - February 2016 - Simplifying Part II (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1397881)

Norma46 02-03-2016 01:41 PM

Re: The Spotlight - February 2016 - Simplifying Part II

Here is my first february spotlight attempt. This is 9 x 7on salmon colored pastelmat using a variiety of soft pastel sticks. I am including the process that I am trying to employ with discipline this month. First notans, second thumbnail with towmbow inkbrushes, third block in of masses of color and then fourth, where I stopped. All comments and crits seriously desired.

naglel 02-03-2016 01:54 PM

Hi Norma! Glad you joined us and thanks for sharing your process! I have never used pastelmat or Tombow brushes, That looks fun, I like the colours in your tree and beautiful water!

Still-trying 02-03-2016 04:18 PM

:cat: Norma, lovely soft painting with a painterly feel. How did it feel to work out the values? You look like you enjoyed it! Nice work!

Raini, no problem. I knew it wasn't me. I haven't done much water on the Spotlight. I knew you didn't mean me. (But it was fun for a minute!!). :cat: :angel: :grouphug:

DAK723 02-04-2016 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhave13

A question I have is : What could I have done to make the light from the window less yellow and more whitish (just trying to add white does not work, just dulls it)?

Sunil, Thanks so much for joining us! Very lovely painting! You are quite correct in noticing that adding white makes colors duller and less intense. So, sometimes we have to decide whether we want the correct value by adding white, or have a slightly darker value than we want, but keeping the color at the intensity we want. If having to choose, I would choose the color intensity above correct value most of the time.

DAK723 02-04-2016 07:00 PM

kedwards, Nice painting of the geese in landscape! Two very different paintings from the same ref!

Raini, Very nice still life! Your spoon looks quite metallic! It is the extreme contrast within the metal that it gives it the metallic look - and you've got it!

The geese look good as well! And the water looks fine! In my opinion, most folks struggle with water because they try to make it too complicated. You have made it simple with just enough variation to make it realistic!

Don

DAK723 02-04-2016 07:02 PM

Norma, Nice job! You've put a lot of thought and effort into your thumbnails and preliminary sketches and it has paid dividends!

Don

naglel 02-04-2016 10:02 PM

Thanks Don! Metallics and glass is something I hope to try more of ...and water!
Now flowers and I we have a love/hate thing going on...I find them really hard to do, my eyes glaze over (all those petals and leaves and lines and colors and...) well I have tremendous respect for our botanical buffs!
Here is my attempt at the daffodils!

Still-trying 02-05-2016 05:04 AM

Nice Raini! A breath of spring. Your background is mysterious...I like that. (Snowing here)

Judibelle 02-05-2016 08:33 AM

So many stunning pieces to catch up with!
bhave...I love the way you captured the still-life!

kedwards...Thanks for showing the steps to your beautifully-cropped finish!

Raini...Gorgeous teapot! Great crop! also really well-done on the geese.

Norma....Love seeing your steps to the beautiful finish of the landscape ..and another winner with the daffodils.

I am struggling with one of the lake scenes. Did the sketches, but can't seem to get the painting to look right. May have to clean it all off and start again.

kedwards 02-05-2016 10:25 AM

Nice job, Norma, I really like the composition you worked up.

Raini, the flowers are beautiful, I love the palette, with the inclusion of the dark red. Nice work on the lovely goose too. The piece has a fresh and lively feel to it.

Norma46 02-05-2016 12:14 PM

Jay: I tried to establish three values in the block in and then try to retain them in the finishing. This is a problem for me... getting the darks dark enough and the lights light enough. The notans help to establish the blocks of values so I am trying to do notans for each ref before jumping in. Then being sure the block in reflects the values in the notan I have selected.

Great daffodil and concur with the "mysterious" background description.

Ruthie57 02-05-2016 12:22 PM

I know I have some catching up to do now my guests have gone. I'll try and come back to comment later. Meanwhile here is one I did today. Seems I forgot the lesson a little....though there isn't much detail within the shapes.

This is big for me, a half sheet of fisher 400. Started with faber castells and carried on with Terry Ludwigs (I love them!)

Judibelle 02-05-2016 01:31 PM

You make it look so easy, Ruthie! Another beautiful rendition!

Still-trying 02-05-2016 02:29 PM

Norma, I think your value plan is paying off. It shows a difference.

I find that the value plan makes me think before I jump off a cliff. I mean before I paint.

One thing I have that helps is one of those value number charts with a hole punched in each value. You put it against an area and look through the hole. Helps so much.

Ruthie: I love love the gesture of the trees in the first sketch. I didn't even want to roll down the page! Nice job. I learn a lot from you. Your reflections are luscious!!!

Judibelle 02-05-2016 02:51 PM

I love that idea, Jay, of punching a hole into each value in the value chart . Gonna try it!

I did several value-sketches, but ended up doing something different anyway. cropped out a whole island of trees! I really got frustrated working on this, I think it was a piece of cheap paper...(not the fault of the artist, of course) but here it is...