WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Glass Technical Forum (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Vine cane, what are your favorite color combos? (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280410)

Bubbyanne 07-04-2005 01:50 PM

Vine cane, what are your favorite color combos?

Hi All!
I need some suggestions and or recipes. I'm going to make some vine cane and am wanting to mix it up a bit. I usually do the standard pea green, intense black stripes, encased in lt grass green.
Anyone have some color suggestions with cool looking or surprising results? Any pics are welcome and encouraged too. ;) Lol!
Thanks,
Barb

Heather/Ericaceae 07-04-2005 05:52 PM

Re: Vine cane, what are your favorite color combos?

Hi - making brownish vines can be a really nice look, and makes leaves show up well. The nice rich medium brown (I don't know the number), transparent ambers, blacks and brick red all look great.

For green vines, one of my favorite greens is petroleum. It is *slightly* stiffer than some other greens. It doesn't go muddy with reds and yellows but does react strongly with ivory. Mosaic green, on the other hand, seems to react to everything and is REALLY, REALLY soft, but it's such a gorgeous deep colour... try this only if you are able to encase it (try dark emerald green). It's really annoying to encase mosaic green because if you leave the tiniest hole it'll ooze out and smear over your surface. :P Wish I could post pics but I'm away from own computer now. :) Have fun playing! You really can't go wrong with vines and flowers - try some unnatural psychedelic combinations and see how it looks!

-Heather

goof ball 07-05-2005 09:42 AM

Sage green, copper green, and any dark opague green. No real method here, I just put the 3 rods together, heat them up and pull stringer. I don't encase the stringer, just give a thin layer of encasing on the bead after the stringer has been applied. It's my personal favorite, not near as bright as the pea green/black.

GinnyHampton 07-05-2005 10:31 AM

Instead of using black for my lines, I like to use the sparklie blue goldstone (blue aventurine?) stringers. Sometimes you can see the sparkle, but if not I like the blue against green for something different. I always encase mine to keep the greens from creeping.

In the first picture the core of the cane was pea green:

In this one the core is the odd Vetrofond khaki green, you can sort of see a little sparkle in this picture:

CalmWaterStudio 07-05-2005 02:58 PM

If I use a light green base, I use dark green and a darker color... black, brown, brick, amber... something like that.

Likewise, if I use a dark green base, I use a light green like copper green... then the dark... black, brown, brick amber.. etc.

I love using black encased gold adventurine as a dark stripe... the subtle shimmer doesn't show up well in MY photography (my photography stinks at times).. but, it's a very nice effect within the bead.

Jamn! 07-05-2005 04:13 PM

I usually use just the basic black and greens and maybe a yellow too.

You can try encasing with rubino and see what happens you your greens. :)

Bubbyanne 07-06-2005 12:50 AM

:D Thanks everyone, I've got some good ideas now. I went down to make some and ran out of gas. :wink2:
Typical. :eek: ;)

Ginny- :cool: Cool Beads! Your stripes show up so well and I like the sparkles. For some reason I lose my stripes. How thick are you pulling your cane?

GinnyHampton 07-06-2005 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbyanne

Ginny- :cool: Cool Beads! Your stripes show up so well and I like the sparkles. For some reason I lose my stripes. How thick are you pulling your cane?

Thanks :) I don't make my canes by striping/encasing a rod, so they usually wind up thicker than they probably should be. I haven't measured them, but they're definitely not skinny.

I'll start with a boro rod and flatten one end (maria) as a platform . . .. .then I'll take my green and build a thick barrel on the end of the boro (it's probably 3/4" long). I'll add the stripes using a thick stringer, the prepulled kind or one that I've done that's thick. Then I'll encase the striped barrel. I'll flatten another boro rod, attach it to the top end, heat and pull.
What happens with me (and you think I'd learn!) is that my colored barrel winds up being fairly large so when I pull, I can only go so far because of arm length and my canes never turn out thin. . . . . BUT I usually get a three foot long cane! The ends are so thick they're useless, so I wind up with a couple of feet of useable cane.
Maybe that's the trick for you . . . . build it up bigger, use thick stringers for your stripes and pull it out thicker.

Bubbyanne 07-06-2005 01:45 PM

Thanks Ginny,
I'll definately try your method of making vine cane. It didn't occur to me to go bigger. I've been striping a rod, encasing and pulling.
I kept doing the same thing with different colors hoping to get good results but getting the same thing in different colors, faint stripes. :rolleyes: You'd think I'd learn too. Lol. ;)
I'd better go get a new tank of gas. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GinnyHampton
Thanks :) I don't make my canes by striping/encasing a rod, so they usually wind up thicker than they probably should be. I haven't measured them, but they're definitely not skinny.

I'll start with a boro rod and flatten one end (maria) as a platform . . .. .then I'll take my green and build a thick barrel on the end of the boro (it's probably 3/4" long). I'll add the stripes using a thick stringer, the prepulled kind or one that I've done that's thick. Then I'll encase the striped barrel. I'll flatten another boro rod, attach it to the top end, heat and pull.
What happens with me (and you think I'd learn!) is that my colored barrel winds up being fairly large so when I pull, I can only go so far because of arm length and my canes never turn out thin. . . . . BUT I usually get a three foot long cane! The ends are so thick they're useless, so I wind up with a couple of feet of useable cane.
Maybe that's the trick for you . . . . build it up bigger, use thick stringers for your stripes and pull it out thicker.

Crazy Woman 07-06-2005 02:50 PM

Ginny - When you run out of arm length - flare your hands out. That will give you an extra 2+ feet of cane. :clap:

Don't ask me how I found that out... :rolleyes: :)

GinnyHampton 07-06-2005 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Woman
Ginny - When you run out of arm length - flare your hands out. That will give you an extra 2+ feet of cane. :clap:

Don't ask me how I found that out... :rolleyes: :)

Great idea!!!
I can never keep John's attention long enough for him to hang around and help me pull . .. .I just don't understand why he doesn't want to stand there for 20 minutes waiting for me!!! ;)