WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Self portrait (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1476295)

franglais 01-24-2020 08:58 AM

Self portrait

I have attempted very few portraits, so it is not my forté. But I plan to do a portrait of each of my two granddaughters, aged 9 and 6, and I thought I would work on my own first .... from a selfie I took. I have finally reached the "I'm done," stage and am moving on to something new. I found the lessons here on Wet Canvas .... done long ago by Don but still available... to be extremely helpful. And I found a number of youtube videos with good info. Like anything else, I'm sure it takes practice, practice and more practice. I didn't use my profile photo as the reference, but there is a resemblance. And if I had a nickel for everytime some stranger has come up to ask, "Has anyone ever told you that you look like Jean-Luc Picard from Star Trek?" I could have retired years ago! I admire Sir Patrick Stewart and was a Trek fan, so I take the question as a compliment. My wife keeps telling me I should get a suit and start renting myself out at Trekkie conventions. LOL Wishing you all a great day.... and thanks to Don and others who contributed to those portrait lessons! I am so grateful for the mass of info available through Wet Canvas!

I have loaded and re-loaded the photo but cannot get it in a portrait position. If any of the mods/volunteers who are techie could do that for me, I would appreciate.

Mike

water girl 01-24-2020 03:03 PM

Re: Self portrait

I admire anyone who successfully paints a self portrait. This is great because it looks like you, Mike. Well done!!!
By the way, if you are ever in a hurry to have an image turned, click on the little red triangle in the upper right of the post. A window will appear and you can request that the image be turned. That will get the attention of more of the Mods.

Humburger 01-24-2020 03:50 PM

Mike, good job. I also admire those who do self portraits.

skappy 01-25-2020 01:04 AM

Looks good

franglais 01-26-2020 03:31 PM

Thank you, Robert, Ginny, Karen for the kind words. And Karen, I appreciate the tip on how to turn a photo so that it will have the right orientation. Thank you for putting it in the right position! :) I have reached the point where I shave my head about every three weeks with electric clippers. The selfie was taken right after I had done that.... thus, NO hair at all. I did, at one point, consider one of the many hat styles that Nemon uses on his birds. 🤣. I just hope I can now do a good job on the portraits of my granddaughters. :)

ColorEnthusiast 01-27-2020 12:48 PM

Nice job. The Spotlight lessons are a good source for learning.

Esther

Mmm_Pasta 01-29-2020 12:53 AM

You handled a lot of the features well. The teeth look good as well as creases on the skin. Was this done from a photograph reference? The way the nose region and forehead region are curved do look like it was done from photograph. I would say that working from a photograph is more difficult than using a mirror or live model, so it can be difficult to notice these if you don't do portraits and figures from life often.

franglais 01-30-2020 09:10 AM

Yes, the self-portrait was done from a selfie photo I took. I have done some life drawing, but always jump at an opportunity to do more. Life models are not as readily available in my area. I have set up and drawn still lifes, as well.... but I often use reference photos. I am beginning two portraits, one of each of my granddaughters, aged 6 and 9. It would be impossible for me to get the 6 year old to sit still long enough for me to work from life.... plus, I want these to be a surprise gift for my son, so again, I will use photos. :)

randomlil 01-30-2020 07:18 PM

I really like the portrait, especially the eyes. You look so relaxed. I’m looking forward to seeing your granddaughters portraits. What a great present they’ll make.
Mary

ShaunGamache 02-01-2020 08:34 PM

Eyes and teeth really stand out