WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Structured Critiques (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Malala, Vision of Courage (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1394406)

minihorse 12-11-2015 02:15 PM

Malala, Vision of Courage

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Malala, Vision of Courage
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 14x18
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I wanted to do this Malala portrait with a lot of color and freedom , because life for an ordinary Afghan girl can be very dark and without hope of any self direction for her future. Malala, with her courageous advocacy for girls education and an end to child marriage, and girls as commodities, has thrown open the windows of a constricted world view to let in the colors, the music, and the beauty of life.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
welcoming constructive critique of any kind

minihorse 12-11-2015 02:21 PM

Re: Malala, Vision of Courage

oops! This was supposed to land in Structured Critiques..(?)

gouligann 12-11-2015 08:33 PM

It's lovely, where ever it lands. I love the crispness of her face and the melding of the colours around her face.

Maybe her right eye colour/highlights and the white of her eye, could be a touch toned down. That eye is very predominant.
Ann

Rick B 12-12-2015 04:07 PM

Great subject, great painting. I love it.

AllisonR 01-16-2016 04:28 AM

Agree about the eye, just 5% darker. It can be lighter than the other, but not so much.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this. So refreshing. Love the fuzziness and drips. All done a million times before, but it really works here with your colors. If you look, you will see I never write gushing reviews as this, but you deserve it!

PS - link to your website doesn't work.

henrik 03-02-2016 07:09 AM

Her left and right side of the face look like they are viewed from different angles. This is probably caused by the shape/placement of her left eye. her right side is 3/4 view, and left side looks straight on. (Cover each half with your hand to see the effect. Her left side reads correctly as 3/4 position if the eye is covered.

hawabaz 12-31-2016 11:09 PM

I love the colours and the composition, very balanced. I think the likeness is a bit off. It is her eyes and mainly lips I think. Her lips are not that full and the shape is a bit different too. Would you be able to share the reference photo please? However the strength of character comes through in this painting.

Malala is Pakistani btw, not Afghan.

roberj 03-09-2017 01:12 PM

Difference in the eyes does not bother me, I don't get the feeling that this is meant as a formal portrait. I have spent some time studying this girls face because I found it interesting, there is an asymmetrical aspect to her face, probably because of her wounds. She is a special girl and this captures her. Would like to see another one (or 3) from a more traditional approach, leave this one as is and explore some other avenues.

Rosic 05-28-2017 09:04 PM

Just wanted to say that I love your colorful effect and wonderful handling of your medium. My only critique is that the eyes, nose, and mouth do not line up properly in parallel fashion. They are only off slightly, but it gives the illusion that the face is being viewed from two different angles at the same time. I think these images and link may help...

http://www.stanprokopenko.com/blog/2...ead-any-angle/

Bodhi Peace 10-26-2017 01:50 PM

I think the fact of the above lends some magnificent scale to the painting. It almost seems like a face of mt. rushmore. the color effect shows off the fact of the watercolor painting. I think maybe she is a bit too pretty in this but the likeness is VERY good.

but her face is so separate from the color part. How can they blend more?

minihorse 11-21-2017 07:16 PM

[QUOTE=My only critique is that the eyes, nose, and mouth do not line up properly in parallel fashion. They are only off slightly, but it gives the illusion that the face is being viewed from two different angles at the same time. I think these images and link may help...

Yes, I see that now. I think I was too closely following the photographic reference where the camera distorts by making the part of the subject that is closest to the camera, ie her left side, larger than reality. Thanks to all for your helpful comments !