WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scratchboard Art (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=347)
-   -   Giant Green Iguana (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1402892)

M.Mason 04-08-2016 12:46 PM

Giant Green Iguana

1 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone! This is a board that has been a major labor of love! I found the reference photo and fell in love with it and, naturally, decided to do a larger 12x16 board. There were a lot of small dots involved in this one and it took an incredible amount of time to finish, but it's done and I'm so happy with it.

I finished it a few weeks ago, but haven't gotten around to spraying it yet, so if there are any suggestions for adjustments, please let me know!!

Thanks for looking everyone!

Tigr 04-09-2016 02:24 AM

Re: Giant Green Iguana

Melissa, he is absolutely gorgeous! I'm just waiting for him to start nodding his head at me... very believable, and I am awed you kept going through all those scales.

I think he can stay just as he is.

However I found I often put my reference aside in the last step, and start changing things from what the reference shows to what I think should be shown. Sometimes it makes it better, sometimes worse.
So this is in no way a critique, only what I personally would do. I probably would slightly darken the very light areas on his hind thigh, toes and the line visible of the calf, as well as the lighted toe of the front foot, and make the separation between the scales there more visible, as they don't have an equally brightly lit counterpart on the body itself. And I would make the tree branch more continuous, connecting the top part (just in front of where the first big "thorn" on the back of his neck is) to the edge of the board and, similarly as you hinted on his lower jaw with a little structure, connect the top part of the branch with the part he's sitting on. Only ever so slightly, hardly visible.

Pazza 04-09-2016 08:25 AM

great board! congrats just liked it on insta too.

banananna20032003 05-16-2016 10:37 PM

You've done an amazing work here! I also agree that his back leg needs to be a bit darker. Did you ever keep track of the hours spent on him? Wonderful artwork.

Trilby 05-20-2016 02:06 PM

I'm in agreement with everyone else here. The suggested adjustments would bring it to absolute perfection. It is truly gorgeous. Indeed, a labour of love .
TJ

nickib 08-13-2016 11:29 AM

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Amazing

danna23 08-19-2016 10:24 PM

I wouldn't change a thing...this is amazing.:heart:

BarbaraGunter 09-09-2016 12:42 AM

Beautiful!

ccollins 09-17-2016 11:08 AM

Wow!

Emerlyearts 09-21-2016 12:42 PM

The detail is amazing. Clearly, this was a labor of love. Well done!!

Boafamily 09-14-2017 04:17 PM

Crazy detail and you nailed it for sure.

contumacious 10-05-2017 06:15 PM

Superb!

I think I would need some kind of physical therapy on my drawing hand after doing a piece like that.

KrissyM 10-26-2017 08:37 PM

Wow. Just.......WOW!

gWebber 10-27-2017 01:53 AM

I think the back leg is just fine, its closest to the light source and in my mind that's obvious.

I can't imagine how long this took given my silly stuff takes two or three days.

Either sell it for big money or buy an iguana to keep it company.

jdesign 12-13-2017 02:41 PM

Nice work