WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Glass Works Showcase (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   I need your opinions, major thread hog (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177126)

double S 03-25-2004 02:05 PM

I need your opinions, major thread hog

5 Attachment(s)
I am thinking about taking the plunge and putting my lampwork jewelery on EBay, I know it's a bad time on the Bay apparently.
I would appreciate some imput on my photos: Are they OK? should I use a necklace display board instead? close-ups of the lampwork beads in jewelry? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Lisa S

double S 03-25-2004 02:06 PM

Re: I need your opinions, major thread hog

5 Attachment(s)
and more
Lisa S

koregon 03-25-2004 02:24 PM

Ooops...edited...I commented on the jewelry, didn't read that it was photo's you wanted imput on..sorry bout that.

I agree with Teri...about the stone...I think its the color of stone you have there thou...its to light.....I have a tile that color and never seem to be able to use the photo's I took on it. So I use a more earthen color. Seems to bring out the true color of all the beads best.

Outdoor light is good thou...maybe a different background thou.

good luck on the bay...hang in there, it has been slow lately

Teri.p 03-25-2004 02:37 PM

I like the stone as used for a display, but my personal preference for photographs is a solid color (or very subtle pattern) background. Maybe it's just my aging eyes, but it's much easier for me to really see the beads/jewelry that way. Also, I'm a fan of close-ups.

Best of luck - you're heading in the right direction!

Teri

!Karen 03-25-2004 02:47 PM

I vote for a necklace display board. Your pretty pieces are getting lost on that speckled rock.

If you're going to have more than one picture, then absolutely a close up of a lampwork bead or two.

More metal would be good, but if you're going to try keeping your prices lower to gather a following, then just one bali or even copper bead on each side would help keep costs down while putting a bit of flair into the overall look.

Did you post your question over on the wearable art forum?

Good luck,
:) Karen

AlexM 03-25-2004 02:57 PM

I'm ok with the stone, but I would like to see what these would look like in the sun. I'd bet the colors would really pop. Closeups would be good too.

rosebead 03-25-2004 03:29 PM

The stone really distracts from the beads. Try something neutral with out a pattern. The beads are lovely. Good luck on EBAY.

Diane

double S 03-25-2004 06:11 PM

thank you all for your comments :) If I do put stuff on the Bay I will do some photos on a plain background.
I will look into metal beads, my local customers have prefered the plain glass and stone combos.
I appreciate you taking the time to comment :D
Lisa S

Noah 03-25-2004 07:36 PM

I actually like the stone (love that natural look). I think the reason the pieces are fading into the background is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of light on them. Were the pictures taken on a sunny day? If so, you might need to bring some artificial light in too. They're beautiful beads, though, and I really like your color combininations. Good luck on eBay!

Kim

giapet 03-26-2004 11:17 AM

they are all great but my fav is the last one in the first post...awesome!

marthagiberson 03-26-2004 05:59 PM

I'm in the "lose the stone" camp. It distracts from the jewelry, makes it hard to see the jewelry. You are selling jewelry not the stone. You want the jewelry to be the only thing that pops in the photo. You should have a very plain background that complements the jewelry. Bright sun will not help but hinder the process. Bright sun washes away the color. Your best time to photograph outdoors is on an overcast day, the next best time is in the morning before 10AM. Try taking some photographs by shooting the same piece on 3 or 4 different backgrounds, a couple of grays, black, beige, etc. all shot under the same light conditions. Then take a look at how they appear. You'll notice a big difference. Tighten up the shot so that you see only jewelry. Good luck - martha

joycerenee 03-26-2004 06:23 PM

I agree with not using the stone, too.

Another consideration is that sometimes, but not always, a very small pattern on the background (like on the stone) will create a "moire" effect when the picture becomes a thumbnail. I've had this happen with a few fabrics, even when the pattern wasn't that discernible. If you browse through the Jewelry cats, especially the necklace cat, you'll see this effect in some pictures.

I usually use a matte wool felt in a neutral "warm" tone or one of my jewelry displays.

Joy

double S 03-26-2004 07:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks again everyone. I am doing a "market day" fair next weekend so I am postponing for now doing Ebay since I don't have enough for both. I did make some recent braclets just using lampwork and crystal, I don't have any metal beads at the moment, and they do look nice.(pic below, taken indoors so not the best) I'm going to invest in some metal beads and try and get a few more pieces done for the fair next weekend.
As to the photography, I took it on an overcast day in the afternoon. I do tend to have problems when I photograph in bright sunlight.
Ya'll wish me luck :D
Lisa S

ChrisF2 03-26-2004 10:28 PM

Beautiful work Lisa! The colors in the last pics are beautiful! I tend to agree with the rest of the folks, that the stone isn't working for you. (As Dr. Phil says)

I wish you all the best..........you're gonna knock em dead!

Hugs,
Chris

saucy 03-27-2004 04:31 AM

I love the photos on the tile. They look wonderful. Try to get some close-ups if you can. I missed seeing you at our meeting two months ago. Maybe I'll get to see you next month.