WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Soft Pastel Hall of Fame. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=440)
-   -   Bath time for Baby - FINISHED (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593763)

BetsyPriesing 11-19-2009 11:23 PM

Bath time for Baby - FINISHED

Well here goes... I found these really beautiful black and white photos in the National Archives and decided to give them a go.

Have no idea on colors or what I'm doing....:D

This is the first layer done over a quick panpastel ruff-in of negative spaces.
strange highlight in front ear will be fixed when i paint in the ear more. yep babys got some strange eyes at the moment;) hmmm I must have tilted the camera as the horizon line is level :o

Its 16x12 on smooth side of canson.

any c&c's welcome:) thanks for looking

DAK723 11-20-2009 08:32 AM

Re: Bath time for Baby

Looking good so far! Can't wait to see more!

Don

Adiro 11-20-2009 08:35 AM

OMG, this is gorgeous!!! It has such a Degas feel to it!!! I would think it's nearly finished, I love how spontaneous it feels! Your crosshatching is amazing!

Kathryn Wilson 11-20-2009 08:39 AM

Thanks for sharing this with us - there certainly is a lot of interest in your technique. Can't wait to see where you take this next!

Paula Ford 11-20-2009 10:58 AM

Fabulous Betsy!!

BetsyPriesing 11-20-2009 11:01 AM

Hi Don thanks for replying hope that it still looks good as I progress. :o
I almost chickened out in posting a WIP...just in case it bombs....:D

Adiro thank you I have been picturing in my mind doing something like this for a few months but wanted to feel more secure in the cross-hatching before i tried it.

Kat thanks! I thought that posting it as I go might help someone else who wants to try but didn't know how to start. And hoping that someone might give me a few pointers as well. I going hit or miss and wish I could find more information about the process to watch for myself. It would be wonderful to find a utube with a painting from beginning to end "ahhh":heart:

AliciaS 11-20-2009 11:02 AM

betsy, the proportions look good! the babies face is great !

BetsyPriesing 11-20-2009 01:04 PM

Paula thank you ...you snuck in!

Alicia thanks I really fussed over that and hoping that i got it right. playing with them after having issues with the last painting i did.
love vine charcoal lately, easy to mush out.

edencompton 11-20-2009 01:22 PM

Look forward to seeing how this progresses! Nice composition - reminds me of Mary Cassat.

Nicoclaus 11-20-2009 05:46 PM

Looks good sofar;) looking forward to see it finished

gingersnap 11-20-2009 07:15 PM

i am very glad you shared the beginning stages of this painting as i hope to learn from your process. i have admired your strokes in the past few postings of the animals. vibrant color!!! this is very interesting and i look forward to seeing this develop! the baby in the bucket looks amazing so far! ginger

BetsyPriesing 11-21-2009 05:09 PM

Eden thank you for looking - thats what i was hoping to capture a likeness too.

Nicoclaus thanks another update today..

Ginger thank you :) it has been interesting figuring it out. thanks on the baby...although i fooled around with him and had to dust off the whole face and start again. this time alittle rounder/chubbier.

I concentrated alot on the baby today while bringing moms clothes closer to what i think they should look like. the baby's eyes give me sooo much trouble!!! His mouth is a bit strange on the left ill fiddle with it.
If you see anything i need to address just let me know
C&C

and a little closer up of the faces.

Bhavana Vijay 11-21-2009 09:09 PM

WIPs are scary but I am so glad you are doing one...it is always so educational to watch a painting develop and I have always wanted to see how you put down your strokes. Looking great so far. Baby looks adorable to me.

Vivien Maloney 11-21-2009 11:09 PM

It's looking good to me too! I love your cross-hatching (something that I'm no good at). I'm looking forward to seeing this painting progress and can't wait for the next instalment.

Mary Y 11-22-2009 04:12 AM

Betsy,
This is great. Thank you for posting this WIP. I have attempted to copy your cross hatching style as I think you paint beautifully with it but my attempts were not good. This is so good to be able to follow how you progress.
Looking forward to watching this thread.
Mary