WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Art (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   * Tips & Tutes x Digital Art * (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192439)

Jet 05-29-2004 10:26 PM

* Tips & Tutes x Digital Art *

This thread is dedicated for gathering any tips and tutorials that could help on polishing our digital skills for better results in our artistic endeavours.

First of all ..
-This is a link to my former thread on tutorials and plugins called Extremely Useful Links ..

:clap: Everyone is invited to post here a link or a tutorial on a technique that can make a difference in the way we digitally do our paintings..

Good Luck

Michael 05-30-2004 12:01 AM

Re: * Tips & Tutes x Digital Art *

Good to see you keeping this going Jorge!!

Jet 05-30-2004 01:10 AM

Re: * Digital Art -Tips & Tutes *

.....Hair Tutorial x PS
..........By Amanda...........................
..... Previously posted at Innographx...........................

It's just a six step process and goes very quickly.

All work done on separate layers:

1. start with a large soft brush in your base color. I used a dark brown, brush size 37

2. incrementally lighten your color from your base coat. nothing drastic. drop the brush size to slightly more than half of your original size. here i used a 14. just lay in some strokes, following the curve you'd like the hair to have.

3. incrementally lighten the color, drop the brush size as above. this layer uses a soft brush at an 8. add more individual hairs, following the natural flow. this is the layer with the most strokes added, but it's still not very many.

4. incrementally lighten color, drop brush size. this layer uses a 5. not as many strokes on this layer, just adding a bit more depth. a few whispy hairs appear here.

5. incrementally lighten color, drop brush size. this layer is a 3. same as above. hardly any of the strokes on this are complete hairs...just filling in and adding depth to the layers below.

6. last layer...incrementally lighten color, drop brush size. this layer is a 1. very, very few strokes on this one.

and that's really it. i did this sample in about ten minutes, give or take. the key, i think, is using a soft brush and the gradual lightening of the color plus shrinking of the brush. it automatically builds depth to the hair and creates a lot of volume. i know the last three steps really don't look all that different in this sample, but it's pretty subtle. if you skipped the last two, though, you'd see a big jump from a brush of 8 to 1 and it wouldn't look natural.

JCoop 05-30-2004 04:40 PM

Jet, nice PS hair tut! Very well done.

For anyone interested, we also did some hair stuff in this thread.

Jet 05-30-2004 04:53 PM

Joel,
thanks
I was about to PM you so I could gather all tutorials in one thread, i mean, to copy them and duplicate them here.
It doesn't occupy much space because it only takes the letters' space as the pictures are already at WC's database.

Usually great tutes are lost in different threads, if anybody had rescued in time we would have plenty for a while..those can't be brought back but we have the option to rescue these before they get lost, and in a few months gone forever..

Is it OK with you?
:cool:

Jet 05-30-2004 07:11 PM

Joel,
Never Mind...lol... it's too much work...

It's better to place links to the individual postings, as a fast way for getting to
the tutes directly, instead of linking to the whole thread...

Joel's hair tutorial in Painter

Chier's hair tutorial in Painter

I'll go and rescue some scattered tutorials somewhere on the web... :rolleyes:

C-U

Jet 05-31-2004 10:59 PM

Painting and drawing free lessons

Jin 05-31-2004 11:19 PM

While we're on the subject of hair....

Mixing Two Colors on a Brush to Paint Hair - written for Painter 6 and Painter 7, 1994 - 2004, Jinny Brown

This tutorial can also be used in Painter 8 with a little translation. If you get stuck on something, I'll be happy to help.

;)

Jet 06-01-2004 01:07 AM

Hi Jin,
excellent contribution.. :clap:
Very appropiate for our next June/2004 project : Hair

thanks for your willingness to helping others.. :cool:
Don't forget to rate this thread to make it into the 'most useful' list.
Regards
:cool:

Jin 06-01-2004 01:43 AM

You're welcome, Jet.

As you can see, it's an old tutorial, but a good to learn.

Even if it's not for painting hair, using a brush that can load more than one color of paint is fun.. and useful.

As they say.. Happy Painting! :)

Jet 06-01-2004 03:00 AM

peoplepainter 06-01-2004 06:48 AM

STUD! Thanks. Hope it helps out. Appreciate all your nice thoughts and support and understanding and so on and so on.
Lisa

Jet 06-01-2004 10:52 AM

Thanks Lisa...you're a great human being ! :cool:
--------------

philwms 06-01-2004 10:56 AM

Over the last several years I'v put up a few tuts on my site.

They are here.

Jet 06-01-2004 11:06 AM

Thanks a lot Phil..
..And great tutorials they are.... it's an honor to have them here !! :cool:
-----------------------------

.................................................. ..