WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Calligraphy (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=340)
-   -   Calligraphy Online Tutorials (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601110)

Hiraeth 02-06-2010 10:14 AM

Re: Calligraphy Online Tutorials

WOW! I LOVE your instruction re: the letter 's'! That little trick of the imagination will be so helpful in getting that letter balanced properly! can't wait to get started!!

dgford 02-07-2010 08:23 AM

Row, baby, row !

Hiraeth 02-12-2010 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This has been a tough week for calligraphy! We got over 12 inches of snow on Tuesday and my husband has been out of town at a conference all week, so I did most of the snow removal myself. I did practice lesson 4, but my hand was aching from shoveling and it's not my best work. (I know, excuses, excuses! :lol: )

I still need to practice the numerals, but here's how far I got on the capitals.

Hiraeth 02-12-2010 06:27 PM

Oh, I'm starting work on a wedding, so I may hold off on the lessons until I get that work done; I'll be using different hand and I want to stick with one at a time.

dgford 02-13-2010 09:07 AM

What a tough person you are !!!

The calligraphy is great --- apart from a very slight backslope. Your Os could be a little rounder --- fuller.

The S is a stunner! and those pen-angles are absolutely regular throughout. Congratulations.

Just let me know when you want the next lessons.

Yesterday was 38C and I was out in it trying to paint a watercolour beside a creek in the Australian "bush". Two hours after arriving home we had a deluge with 78mm falling in under an hour! But no snow, thank goodness !

Geoff

Hiraeth 02-14-2010 08:42 AM

Yes, I see the slight backslope. I don't see it when I'm working but at a distance (of time and space) I do see it. Any tips on how to overcome that? It shows up in my foundational and uncial, too. This is one of the early problems that were established when I began teaching myself calligraphy and it has been very hard to overcome. So, listen up all you beginners!--take Geoff's criticisms to heart and you'll avoid problems later on!!

I do see that the o's aren't full enough. I need to really practice them more. Most of the time, strokes really come from the elbow and not from the finger grip, but that 'o' requires a stronger grasp. The thumb swings away from the hand and then back toward the hand and I think the loss of dexterity shows more.

My little granddaughter, Madelyn, was born yesterday, so I've got her birth announcement to do and a June wedding set to design, so I'll probably be devoting all of my time at the drawing board to those for a while.

I'll be collecting all the subsequent lessons, though, and looking forward to jumping back in!

dgford 02-15-2010 12:49 AM

Welcome, Madelyn. May your pen-hold be for ever adventurous !!

Overcome that backslope writing by just pushing the lower right corner of your paper away from you a little --- so that you have a slight backslope to the paper. Simple, isn't it?

A wedding in June? My eye sparkles but the body pulls me back to reality!

Geoff

Hiraeth 02-15-2010 08:24 AM

Oh, that's funny! I started out with my paper like that, but then I was scolded by a 'real calligrapher' and so I straightened it out and have been working with it parallel to the table since then! Wouldn't it be a hoot if I can overcome that bugaboo by going back to how I used to do it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgford
Welcome, Madelyn. May your pen-hold be for ever adventurous !!

Overcome that backslope writing by just pushing the lower right corner of your paper away from you a little --- so that you have a slight backslope to the paper. Simple, isn't it?

A wedding in June? My eye sparkles but the body pulls me back to reality!

Geoff

macarena 02-23-2010 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiraeth
Yes, I see the slight backslope. I don't see it when I'm working but at a distance (of time and space) I do see it. Any tips on how to overcome that? It shows up in my foundational and uncial, too. This is one of the early problems that were established when I began teaching myself calligraphy and it has been very hard to overcome. So, listen up all you beginners!--take Geoff's criticisms to heart and you'll avoid problems later on!!

I do see that the o's aren't full enough. I need to really practice them more. Most of the time, strokes really come from the elbow and not from the finger grip, but that 'o' requires a stronger grasp. The thumb swings away from the hand and then back toward the hand and I think the loss of dexterity shows more.

My little granddaughter, Madelyn, was born yesterday, so I've got her birth announcement to do and a June wedding set to design, so I'll probably be devoting all of my time at the drawing board to those for a while.

I'll be collecting all the subsequent lessons, though, and looking forward to jumping back in!

Congradulations for the arrive of your little granddaughter, enjoy with her :clap: , Manuela

macarena 02-23-2010 06:37 AM

Hello Geoff!
I'm here again with my lesson 2 how you think about this.... when I did it, I think in 45 degrees and 30 degrees :lol:

I wait your remarks, Manuela

dgford 02-23-2010 07:58 AM

Yes, Manuela, these sloping lines are good. You have handled the changes in the pen-angles in the sloping lines very well. But those horizontal strokes in each letter E !!! I am trying hard to find the way to help you. I wish I was there by your side and able to guide you.

Let us try this --- Set your pen-angle to the 30 degree pen-angle guide diagram. Without moving even the tiniest muscle, make a firm note of where the pen handle is pointing up the side of your arm.

Keep the handle pointing in that exact direction and make the downstroke of the letter E and, when you arrive at the bottom, check that your pen-handle is still pointing in the correct direction. Keeping it like that, immediately make the bottom stroke to the right and when you reach the end stop BUT KEEP THE PEN STILL ON THE PAPER. Is the pen handle still pointing in the correct direction? If it is not, them try again. If it is, then go to the top, check the direction of the pen-handle and make that horizontal stroke. At the end of that stroke, KEEP THE PEN ON THE PAPER and check again where the handle is pointing. Then do the middle stroke.

Practise the two words FLEET and HEAL --- checking each time that the pen handle is pointing in the correct direction before you make the horizontal stroke. Each letter in these two words has one or more horizontal strokes. Between us, we will conquer this and then you will be doing all that I know you are capable of doing !

I am very pleased with your strong determination to succeed and I am really looking forward to seeing your new results with these two words in a couple of days' time.

Last week we celebrated our 60th wedding anniversary and during next week I shall become 87 --- so I know what patience is and I love sharing successes !!!

Geoff

Hiraeth 02-23-2010 08:39 AM

Way to go, Manuela! Hang in there! You'll get it!

Congratulations, Geoff, on 60 years! That's marvelous! What day is your birthday next week? We should have a party! :clap:

dgford 02-24-2010 05:42 AM

Have an extra glass of red on Thursday. But I suppose that would be a bit too much to ask for when you realise that when I am enjoying my glass (or two!) with my dinner on my Australian Thursday it will be in the very last hours of your Wednesday !!!

But I will toast you all --- those who have started and those yet to start!
Geoff

macarena 02-24-2010 10:57 AM

Hi Geoff,
We'll celebrate with you with an online hug and a glass of red wine or you prefer champagne :wink2: ...
Manuela

Hiraeth 02-24-2010 12:28 PM

I will lift a glass (or two!) and toast your health. I prefer whites (New Zealand sauvignon blancs are our favorites) but I do enjoy an Old Vine Zinfindel, Syrah, or Malbec. Can you recommend a good Aussie red for me--lighter on the tannins?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgford
Have an extra glass of red on Thursday. But I suppose that would be a bit too much to ask for when you realise that when I am enjoying my glass (or two!) with my dinner on my Australian Thursday it will be in the very last hours of your Wednesday !!!

But I will toast you all --- those who have started and those yet to start!
Geoff