WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scratchboard Art (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=347)
-   -   Color Mediums (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376326)

Diana Lee 10-13-2006 03:17 PM

Color Mediums

4 Attachment(s)
I thought I might submit an example I have been working on showing the differences in several mediums. The first is basic black and white on an 8 x 10 essdee scraperboard. The next is oil paint on an 8 x 10 smooth white claybord. Then color pencil on an 8 x 10 smooth white claybord. Finally clayboard ink on an 8 x 10 smooth white claybord. They were all scratched with an xacto and the scratchboard tool.

Diana

Obedec 10-13-2006 03:30 PM

Re: Color Mediums

Diane you are the MASTER. This is so interesting. I just had a gentleman (and I use the term because it won't get me in trouble, read my thought bubble) who informed me that scratchboard is only negative and there can be no color. I sent him to this site but I doubt that he will check it out. He'd have to eat crow.
Karen

Bertoni 10-13-2006 03:49 PM

Diana:
You've done it again! What a wonderful demo. :clap: It answers a lot of questions I've had about tpes of color and how they work on the different surfaces!
Thanks so much!!:thumbsup:

Crias 10-13-2006 05:06 PM

Very interesting demonstration! Wow... what patience to scratch the same piece 4 times!!

Diana Lee 10-13-2006 05:51 PM

Thanks people. I made the four pieces for the book I am working on about making scratch art using different mediums so the patience was for a worthy cause. It occurs to me that I probably should have included an acrylic one as well.

Karen, Hopefully he will check it out and he will have a new avenue in which to play with scratchboard.

Diana

Obedec 10-14-2006 12:35 PM

Diane, would that be an acrylic ink or acrylic paint?
Karen

Diana Lee 10-14-2006 01:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Karen,
That would be acrylic paint in this instance. I am including an elephant I did using acrylic paint on black claybord. I painted directly onto the black with watered down acrylic paint and then scratched. Where I wanted black I didn't paint the board. I almost always work in layers. paint, scratch, paint again with transparent color and then scratch again, as many times as it takes to get the depth I want.

Diana

Jakeally 10-14-2006 01:38 PM

Wow ... this is so darned good Diana. Wonderful work:clap: :clap:

Trilby 10-14-2006 07:27 PM

Diana this is one gorgeous pachyderm. I'm unclear was the elephant painted in acrylics first or is he scratched into the black?
TJ

Diana Lee 10-14-2006 11:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
He was painted, scratched and then painted. I am including details of his trunk first painted, then scratched then painted with a very thin layer of paint. I don't think acrylic paint is the most transparent medium, but it worked ok for this. They're kind of dark. I hope they show up.

Diana

Obedec 10-14-2006 11:37 PM

You answered an unasked question too...I was considering painting a background on my latest piece on black and didn't know if it would work without scratching the black off first.
Thanks Diane

Bertoni 10-15-2006 05:54 AM

Diana:
On the acrylic demo...how did you get the sketch down on the black Claybord? Or did you work directly on the Claybord?
I'm going to try the acrylics and experiment on a small chunk of black Claybord. I'll have lost any respect I've had for publishers if one doesn't pick up on this book of yours.
From what I've seen so far, it's the best!:thumbsup:

Mary Woodul 10-15-2006 09:41 AM

This is such incredible work. Your perfect crosshatching is supberb, Daina.

Dave Slaughter 10-15-2006 12:07 PM

I hope you let us know when the book is finished. I'd like to reserve several copies.

Diana Lee 10-15-2006 12:22 PM

Thank you for your compliments.

Burt, I used yellow transfer paper to get the line drawing on to the claybord. Since I was going to paint over it I wasn't concerned with the color of the transfer paper. Color transfer/tracing paper isn't hard to find.

Dave, I have been waiting since July of 05 to hear from Publishers. I am now looking into self publishing. I think the biggest concern would be distribution, I'll have to check into that. I could sell a few books locally and a few online, but a publisher could distribute all over the world.

Diana