WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Illustration (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Coffee Break! 9/27 - 10/3 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218986)

TedDawson 09-30-2004 11:59 AM

Re: Coffee Break! 9/27 - 10/3

Hey, Keith, good luck on the show! I know that once the romance of a cool old building turns into reality that it's a pain, but it still sounds great. I wonder if there are any corporations in the area that have grant programs... might be worth checking out.

I know these things are pretty much a matter of If it's gonna get done ya gotta do it yourself. We've got an art association here in B-ville that I joined, and it's like that. Unfortunately it's mostly run by retirees... which is not bad in and of itself, of course, but that makes it not very inclusive. As I get more time to contribute, I want to make an effort to get local high school and college students in. I think that would make it more exciting, and contemporary, and generate more interest from the community and newspapers. Having a special show like that might help put a little spark in your gallery as well.

Axl, Michael Moore said that nobody in Canada locks their door and now I believe him. I read a while back that if you have a squeaky door, don't oil it. All the doors in our house are squeaky, and now I like it that way. Maybe you should get one of those door alarms that you hang on the doorknob?

Sketchy, I dunno about the art rep thing yet, but I'll keep you posted.

Sketch22 09-30-2004 01:09 PM

last time to bother you guys with this one!

ok, I have one more image to show, this is like with Axl's idea, it is the art that I ended up with last time, but with the line layer put back in and made partially transparent. I like it. The reason I am being so persistant about this is that I am trying to choose a consistant look to continue through my entire portfolio, which I am itching to get started on.
I forgot to make the lines a different color, that sounds like a good idea too, maybe next experiment.

Ted, by the way, thanks for telling me about the SCBWI show in Houston, it looks really awesome, I don't know if I can make it, but I would like to.

Also, have you seen the book called PictureBook ? apparently, it is a book that publishers can order and it shows lots of Illustrators specifically for Children's books, you can buy a page in it. You can also get a "portfolio page on their site" you are allowed only 12 images, but it seems like a helpful marketing tool.

Anyway, I went to their site and there was more great info on making your portfolio. The link to the article doesn't seem to work, but you can go to
www.picture-book.com and look at the bottom left side and see the link that says Portfolio Ideas.

Thanks again for all your advice guys.

Sketch22 09-30-2004 01:11 PM

forgot to attach the image...

1 Attachment(s)
:rolleyes:

I do that with e-mails alot... *feeling dumb*

ok, so here it is:

AFM159 09-30-2004 01:23 PM

WOW, Axl, what a night! You might prop a chair against the door, or balance an empty beer bottle on the door knob, that would fall and break when someone tried to get in (like in the movie Conspiracy Theory staring Mel Gibson).

When I was growing up, we never locked our doors and often left the keys in the cars. My parents still do, drives me nuts, they just don't think it'll ever happen to them. I hope it never does.

Good luck on your show, it'sALLart! I hope you sell some art.

Sketch - here's my take on reps. Someone has to promote, market, and sell your work. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, then maybe a rep is for you. If you can get over and uncomfortableness, then do it yourself. You can get good projects either way. I find more satisfaction doing it myself. I am always in control of how I am represented. A rep will have more than one artist in their bag and I would always be wondering if they were working hard enough for me, and representing me the way I would like. I'm sure most reps are honest and hardworking, and you could probably build a good relationship with one that would make you feel comfortable.

If you think you would prefer to represent yourself but are afraid of putting yourself and your work infront of others, I can completely understand. In the beginning, I was more shy and afraid than any one person had a right to. I was afraid I had nothing of real value to offer, that my skills were not up to professional standards, and other unfounded fears. The only way to beat any fear is to do that thing you fear. I have largely conquered mine and can now sell and market myself and my work quite well. I believe if I could do it, most anyone can.

it'sALLart 09-30-2004 01:26 PM

Thanks for the luck Sketch and Ted..... i'm just trying to keep my expectations flatline so that if something good happens, great... also, it's just keeping my art out in the public so that i feel like i'm not sitting at home getting covered in dust, forgotten.

One bit of advice Sketch22: When you send out info and samples of your work, always follow up with a phone call if possible (or email) to help them see that you are serious. I used to be an art director for childrens publications in the late 70's (Turtle, Childrens Playmate, Jack and Jill) and I'd always get tons of mailers but only a few followups. The followups seemed like better business people and thus more reliable in my mind. It totally matters to publishing houses if you are reliable because of the deadlines, so it makes sense to just look as responsible as possible... not that you wouldnt, but just a reminder.

designbyjen 09-30-2004 11:35 PM

somebody get some water...this thread is gitt'in hot!
sketch...like your last experiment & hope you get time for colored line experiments too. really good how you are researching & making a method for success here. w/ you & ted chatting...there is a wealth of info. coming out that will be found on the search key for a long time to come ;)

ax...since u r in an apt...might wanna consider asking to have the lock changed just incase this person had a key from a past renter...since u r not sure what all happened.

glad u popped in here keith. love what u r doing...sounds exciting. feel free to hang some of your art up here in this 'coffee shop', as it's nice to see what other stuff those w/ illustrative hearts do. i know what ya mean about not wanting to get the hopes up. i've found i've got quite a storehouse of hope myself...i don't know how it gets filled sometimes! *to the tune of dorey on finding nemo...* "just keep painting, painting, painting". i join the bandwagon of well-wishers for a sale. :D

~~~jen

it'sALLart 10-01-2004 01:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Awww.... Jen, I feel like i've been hugged! thanks for that and thanks also to AFM for the luck.

i was asked to put one of my bigger works on a hallway wall... having to debate which one to hang. and speaking of debate... hee hee.. no, i won't go there! :evil: that's another forum.

oh, and here's a primitive i'm gonna try to offload...

Sketch22 10-01-2004 10:18 AM

Nice!

ItsAllARt,

Thanks for the advice, I will definately keep it in mind when I do my mailouts later this year. Really, I keep having to print out this thread so I can remember all of the good advice!

I really like your painting, I hope it sells. I was a painter at one time also, I discovered something funny though in the process, I can't bare to part with any of my paintings... It is a good thing I stopped painting, I ran out of space to store canvases. Now I make art quilts. I recently got into quilting, and there is a whole world of new artists out there making art quilts. I paint my own fabric. That helps me feel like my painting skills won't go to waste after all. I want to eventually have enough art quilts to be able to do a show somewhere or get published in a magazine for the medium like Quilting Arts Mag. Have you guys ever seen an art quilt?

Again, Thanks for the info, I am filing it all away, figuratively and literally!

designbyjen 10-01-2004 11:06 AM

It's All Shweet ;) hee hee. i like that piece too. what size & medium is it? it has an oil pastel kinda feel (kyle, a regular in here is an O.P. queen & she'll like this one too).

sketch...a guy i dated in college...his mom did those art quilts for a living. she's probably in books by now: charlotte purrington. she worked w/ dyes, really neat & a huge amount of work involved. absolutely only for display...unless you're rich, dumb & don't mind prematurely aging fine art...the dyes she used were the good permanent kind. is anyone in your locale doing anything like that...if not you could could be a breath of fresh air around there.
oh, i forgot to say...that book you mentioned a while back...that's on my 'to read' list...heard lots of good stuff about it.

t.g.i.f!!!
~~~jen

Sketch22 10-01-2004 11:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Jen, I did belong to a quilt guild before I moved and very few of the persons involved tried or even liked art quilts, I showed them mine however, and they were very encouraging.

Having an art degree and loving quilting, I have to try. In my new location, there is an art quild, but I haven't been to a meeting yet, there will be one next week.

I would like to dye my own fabrics, most art quilters do, but it takes a lot of time, energy, patience, and planning... I generally have to work quickly and on the spot or I lose focus. I have been actually painting straight on the plain muslin fabric with my old acrylics. Here is my first finished work....

it'sALLart 10-01-2004 11:51 AM

Thanks Jen, and sorry for the lack of info. it's acrylic, 24 x 48. i get a lot of comments concerning pastels and how my stuff looks like them. i like loose textural work so that may have something to do with it.

speaking of dyes...

a long time ago (like, say, 20 years or so) before i knew anything about conservation work and permanence, i did a commission portrait of Diana Ross for an elderly man with big bucks. the piece turned out really well, it was 3 x 4 feet, a full body shot from a pretty good photo. anyway, i used Dr. Martens Dyes and airbrushed most of the skin tones in. While that might have been OK to do for commercial work (that was going to get scanned right away and then the original gets archived in some flat file), it was NOT the best thing for work that would be displayed. Yup, in about 8 months, her skin had turned a lovely shade of green. Diana Martian. All of the reds had faded as the man had hung it in a sunny room. What a phone call that was. I had a hell of a time repairing it and was way embarressed but learned a good lesson: Dr. Martens ain't permanent.

Very cool quilt, Sketch... i like the trees and roots!

AFM159 10-01-2004 03:26 PM

Very cool quilt, Sketch. My mom quilts. She goes to Paducah just about every year for the big quilt convention. I've talked to her about doing some more of the fineart type quilts but that's not really her style, though she does like them. She sticks with more traditional blocking with contemporary colors. She did a beautiful one for my son, based on the quiltmakers story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by designbyjen
*to the tune of dorey on finding nemo...* "just keep painting, painting, painting".

LOL - I Love It! Perfect send off for the weekend!

Ya'll have a goodun!

coolray 10-01-2004 03:42 PM

One side all one side!!!! My goodness! You go away for a bit and people are jammed in here like sardines!!!! :) Wow! New faces, and old friends alike!

Well, it's just coming down like raindrops, reguarding my art. This week we found a print company who can do prints of my painting, (and more later) for a very reasonable price. I have already designed the program booklet that will be passed out, which has the schedule of when each new painting will be released in print. Egads! We're printing 10,000 of just one painting!! Plus 500 canvas prints! I am not sure what will happen, but I am getting more work to do as well.

Jen, I am working on a second Art for God painting. I may get it done soon. (hopefully) :(

On top of that, I have a big mural project that will be in a prominate museum. I will tell you later, when I am sure I have that job. It is suspected to generate more murals from the museum, and prints will be sold of the mural panels as well. I can't begin to tell you how wild this is!

Well I must be off. I have a few small jobs to get done, before teaching my art class this weekend.

Cya all!

Terry

Gonzz 10-01-2004 05:48 PM

Sketch22, here's a tip on how to paint in Photohop in order to achieve a "grainy" gradient look rather than a smooth more "computer looking" one:

Use the brush tool and paint in "Dissolve Mode" with opacity at around 30%, select a brush with an hardness value that is close to zero. It's a great way to paint small areas of colour in a way that look less computery (is computery a word? :o )

Gonzz 10-01-2004 05:59 PM

Sketch22, here's a tip on how to paint in Photohop in order to achieve a "grainy" gradient look rather than a smooth more "computer looking" one:

Use the brush tool and paint in "Dissolve Mode" with opacity at around 30%, select a brush with an hardness value that is close to zero. It's a great way to paint small areas of colour in a way that look less computery (is computery a word? :o )