WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Florals and Botanical (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   July 2014 Plant Parade (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1354620)

Vivien Maloney 06-30-2014 05:02 PM

July 2014 Plant Parade

Welcome to the JULY 2014 Plant Parade.
My name is Vivien and I'm your Host for this month's PlantParade Project.

The Topic for July is;
"The Iris"

The Iris - is only second to the Rose as the world's most popular flower. Irises are a favourite subject for artists to paint, because of their stately form and beautiful, frilled petals.

There are a few rules..........

Crop, enlarge, distort, play, manipulate a reference in any way you wish. You can paint/draw in any size and any medium. "Reveal Day" is the 25thJuly,so please do not post your painting before that day. It is much more fun, and more interesting, if we all post more or less about the same time.

Discuss, banter with others about your choice(s), your successes, finds and/or difficulties in this thread, but reveal nothing untilJUlY 25th

So lets have fun and paint….THE IRIS.

Here are 5 images from the RIL you can paint from any of these or you can use your own photos, if you prefer.

ref by; Trudance

ref; by dreamOfSpring

ref by; Karrie

ref by; jedikin12

This Iris is named "kiwicockatoo" and as I'm a New Zealander (a Kiwi) 3 guesses why I included this beautiful Iris!

Here's the link to the Iris Section in the RIL: http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showgallery.php?cat=560

Go to it and have fun! :D

Babli21 06-30-2014 05:28 PM

Re: July 2014 Plant Parade

Oh Vivien! Ever since you commented on my May iris posting that you love irises too, I've been sending you subliminal messages to please pick irises for this month's Plant Parade! :thumbsup: Thank you!

The photo refs are lovely, and I can't wait to get started. :clap:

Vivien Maloney 06-30-2014 05:33 PM

Sandy - Thank you. I must have picked those subliminal messages up!

Charlie's Mum 06-30-2014 05:41 PM

Love the Kiwi one especially :)

Will do mine after we come home - might even see some when away and come home with a fresh bunch of irises!! :D

Vivien Maloney 06-30-2014 07:30 PM

Maureen - Thank you. I was hoping that it would still be Iris Season in the Northern Hemisphere. So it sounds as if some Irises are still flowering.
Too early for us down here. The first Irises to bloom in my garden will be my dwarf Irises and they won't be in bloom until the end of August.

bluefish 06-30-2014 08:05 PM

Good choice Viv.....much nicer than 'weeds'.....:D

and Iris paintings sell very well.....right behind sunflowers, and poppies....:thumbsup:

Vivien Maloney 06-30-2014 08:30 PM

Thank you Blue :D

ArtsyMom 06-30-2014 09:00 PM

Thanks Vivien for the lovely Iris flowers you've chosen for this month. Will try it although I find them hard to paint with all those curls and turns.

justjean 06-30-2014 09:42 PM

Oh Viv, you know I love these, I think they were one of my first choices when I started here in the PPP :D

Tresgatos 07-01-2014 12:36 AM

Always loved the Iris - these are beautiful - will try to participate this month

Vivien Maloney 07-01-2014 01:44 AM

Lil, Jean and Tresgatos - Glad you like the choice of flower. Looking forward to seeing your paintings.

Jean - When I was looking through previous PP's for inspiration I saw you hosted with The Iris as your subject in August 2011. So I thought "goody thats 3 years ago, so time we had them again". :lol: :evil: ;)

Antiqueteacher 07-01-2014 03:42 AM

Viv, on my way to bed, but had to see if you had posted the flower for July. . .wow, did you ever!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Love the Iris, too! Mmmm. . .have to think. . .which one? :eek:

Thanks for hosting this crew. . .you know we are like 'herding cats'!! :angel: But, we are cute, too! :lol: :lol:

Hugs, Katherine :music: :music:

Vivien Maloney 07-01-2014 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antiqueteacher
Viv, on my way to bed, but had to see if you had posted the flower for July. . .wow, did you ever!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Love the Iris, too! Mmmm. . .have to think. . .which one? :eek:

Thanks for hosting this crew. . .you know we are like 'herding cats'!! :angel: But, we are cute, too! :lol: :lol:

Hugs, Katherine :music: :music:

Katherine - Herding cats eh! :lol: :lol: :evil: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

bluefish 07-01-2014 07:24 AM

I guess I'm the 'TOM CAT'.........:heart: :heart: :heart:

Violetta 07-01-2014 11:26 AM

I've been wanting to paint an Iris, so count me in. Thanks for choosing this beautiful flower!