WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acrylics (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Watching the world go by (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1473359)

dave woody 11-15-2019 08:25 PM

Watching the world go by

35cm x 20cm cheap canvas

dave woody 11-15-2019 09:53 PM

Re: Watching the world go by

I am very disappointed, my apologies for the very poor resolution of this image posted. It is flat and the colours are dull.
Sorry

Charlie's Mum 11-16-2019 07:08 AM

I've cropped it on iPad but can't resize it here .. I'll try on the desktop later.

When I read your titles I try to anticipate your image before opening.... I was pretty much right about this one!:lol: :lol: :lol: .... just wish I could have enlarged it now!:)

Later edit:

Is this any closer to the original Dave?

HikingWithDogs 11-16-2019 10:29 AM

I like the idea, Dave.

I sympathize with the image disappointment. For me, ambient indoor light gives a dull-colored photo and even carefully-positioned bright lights create surface reflections. Maybe when I get home from the current trip I'll spend an afternoon with different cameras, settings, and lighting combinations.

LavenderFrost 11-16-2019 11:17 AM

This picture feels sad.

ColinS 11-16-2019 12:38 PM

The painting creates a nice, and even somewhat sad, image, as Michelle says.

brusher 11-16-2019 03:21 PM

Dave, this looks great I think. I know how it is with taking photos of paintings, some of the color, contrast and depth can easily not come through, to duplicate what it looks like in real life!

This is a very strong and stark idea and painting though, and so it does come through to make a powerful statement - That looks like a smartphone case shape to me (the window he's looking through) - Is it about being too tied to electronics such as phone, and computer, in which case if people spend too much time they definitely do have the world (and the universe, as is also in the painting, I think) going by? . . .

Cathy

dave woody 11-17-2019 03:09 PM

Charlie's Mum. Thank you for tweaking my picture.
It has really made a difference.

dave woody 11-17-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brusher
Dave, this looks great I think. I know how it is with taking photos of paintings, some of the color, contrast and depth can easily not come through, to duplicate what it looks like in real life!

This is a very strong and stark idea and painting though, and so it does come through to make a powerful statement - That looks like a smartphone case shape to me (the window he's looking through) - Is it about being too tied to electronics such as phone, and computer, in which case if people spend too much time they definitely do have the world (and the universe, as is also in the painting, I think) going by? . . .

Cathy

Thank you for your comments and insight.
Is the boy in the picture facing us and looking out over his shoulder at the World or does he have his back to us?

brusher 11-17-2019 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave woody
Is the boy in the picture facing us and looking out over his shoulder at the World or does he have his back to us?

Wow, looking at this a long time to try to figure it out, it could be either way. Maybe deliberately ambiguous?

Based on the neckline of his t-shirt though, which dips a little bit, I say he is facing us; the back of the t-shirt neckline would be more straight (horizontal).

Is there a "correct" answer? Maybe not . . .

Cathy

maryinasia 11-18-2019 07:40 AM

love this

dorrart 11-18-2019 09:09 AM

Great idea, simple execution. Very good.