WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pen and Ink (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Bayeux Cathedral, Normandy France (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1472962)

Andy_S 11-04-2019 11:58 AM

Bayeux Cathedral, Normandy France

Hi everyone,

Just finished this one over the weekend. It's 8 x 12 in a sketchbook. C&C welcome.

Charlie's Mum 11-04-2019 05:18 PM

Re: Bayeux Cathedral, Normandy France

That's an excellent drawing!
I know it's black and white but it's like jewel, so many facets!
Definitely a treasure ... I like the vignette composition.

pedlars pen 11-04-2019 06:55 PM

Yep this is very good Andy, perhaps a more certain & defined description of the direction of light might of perfected it ? , even if it was not so obvious on the reference ?
Mike

Andy_S 11-05-2019 01:59 PM

Thank you for the input! I tried darkening some areas. The reference pic had no shadows (it was a very grey day) but I guess I needed to go darker!

pedlars pen 11-05-2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy_S
I tried darkening some areas. The reference pic had no shadows (it was a very grey day) but I guess I needed to go darker!

Have a look at Herbert Railton illustrator - he was a shining example of P&I architecture using line work.
Anyway I didn't necessarily mean you had to go darker, more that there should be more contrast between the parts facing the sun & those that don't.
One thing you might like to try is to only suggest those parts that catch the sun light,using a very thin pen & broken line. Sort of - as if the sun had bleached out those parts of the drawing that face the light !
Hint- if right next to those bleached out parts you put your darkest & heaviest shadow that "drama" of contrast in the adjacent features will lend great power & interest to your architecture.
Also NO reference is ever really just right for P&I work ,so do not be afraid in architectural drawings especially to just "wing it a bit" by supposing the light is coming from about say..... a 10'o'clock angle then put a light pencil line in & considering the shapes of the building as you do it - Just make the fall of light it up ! :eek:
You can get away with this very nicely if you have drew your light direction pencil line from some clue on the drawing where the genuine light direction was somewhat apparent in the reference.
Really like your aesthetic on pen work Andy :wink2:
Mike

Andy_S 11-05-2019 04:52 PM

Thanks for all the great tips, Mike. I'm always looking to improve my work.

PVHooper 11-06-2019 12:34 PM

Yes indeed this is a lovely drawing. Keep going you are way down there road already. My only recommendation would be to look at consistency of shadow. For instance the wall facing right on the second highest tower is quite dark, almost black, but walls facing in the same direction on towers below are nearly white. For me the fun part of any drawing is at the end when you do those tiny adjustments to make the drawing pop.

Scene Chaser 11-08-2019 06:11 AM

Very nice drawing, Andy. Lots of nice little details to explore.
Bill

Blah 11-10-2019 07:44 AM

Lovely work Andy! I have a soft corner for architectural subjects and you have created a very nice drawing. I totally agree with Mike. A little more drama with light would enhance this very much.

tuscanny 11-10-2019 10:36 AM

Fantastic work, Andy!

vmrs 11-10-2019 08:05 PM

Beautiful!

objectivistartist 11-13-2019 06:31 PM

VERY well done - reminds me of some of the ink work seen in Pennell's book PEN DRAWINGS and Pen Draughmen...........

Watercolour lover 12-27-2019 10:55 AM

Tricky perspective superbly handled. Quite a challenge without using wash.
John

Eileenjm 01-02-2020 05:16 AM

So much to look at in this, it's wonderful.