WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Symbols of Homo Clairensis (xpost AbsCon) (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1468895)

Eraethil 07-25-2019 03:26 AM

Symbols of Homo Clairensis (xpost AbsCon)

Hi everyone,

I recently showed a new body of work based on a fictitious newly discovered (in 2025) species of man. The paintings in the series are interpretations of the symbols that "will" be found on the cave walls.

The exhibition was called Symbols of Homo Clairensis. All of the pieces are 16"x16" on cradled birch, and most of them mixed media. Here are three mixed media pieces:

Strike of the Unexpected:

Aspects of Self:

Harmony of the People:

Cyndi L 07-25-2019 10:29 AM

Re: Symbols of Homo Clairensis (xpost AbsCon)

Rick! What a wonderful, brilliant, original idea! I love the idea and the pieces that you've shared. I find I'm completely obsessed with Harmony of the People. I totally want to know more about this. Does the name (Clairensis) have anything to do with the St Clair limestone deposits...or did you totally make it up?

KreativeK 07-25-2019 06:58 PM

I love all your work, Rick!

Eraethil 07-25-2019 08:09 PM

Thanks u2!

Cyndi, I named Homo Clairensis for Lake Clair in northeastern Alberta where this tribe of these water-focused humans lived tens of thousands of years ago. So while I made everything up, I gave them a home in our real world in a geography with many bodies of fresh water today.

I didn't get to do as much research as I would have liked due to exhibition time pressure. So I may continue this series and fine tune the backstory a little with more research, assuming there is interest from other exhibition spaces.

I should have shared the pictograms that I imagined/painted for these key concepts in Homo Clairensis society, and the couple of sentences of narrative I created for each. With the others I post I will try to do that.

Cyndi L 07-26-2019 09:04 AM

And the next thing we know, Rick will be writing an epic adventure story about a young person who comes into the possession of a magical talisman - maybe a ring? - that must be destroyed lest it unite the world under the forces of evil...

Naaahhh...I know that with your creativity, Rick, you will come up with your own epic story. This whole concept of yours has really fired my imagination!

Eraethil 07-26-2019 11:33 AM

It's very cool that the idea hits home with you! I do have some ideas about perhaps creating some "artifacts" and archeologists'/anthropologists' notebooks with sketches. We'll see where it goes next...

Eraethil 07-26-2019 04:21 PM

Oh probably not a ring... perhaps a carved antler or bone pendant of a one eyed frog on a braided leather necklace?