WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Plein Air Hall of Fame (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Trevor chamberlain's pochade box (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188408)

Bobbo 05-12-2004 07:29 AM

Trevor chamberlain's pochade box

Trevor Chamberlain is a British plein air painter,he paints/painted alot around the marches between Wales and England,and does/did many townscapes in all kinds of weather,he has a no bull aproach and uses a smart tiny pochade box for his field sketches,wich he works out in larger format in the studio

the box is 10x7x3''it can be held in one hand,see tumb hole!build in palette
Trevor gets little tubes of paint to fit inside
the little panels are 6x8'' and function as the top of the box,they are seperated to avoid smudging
it is compact and unobtrusive,usefull for busy street scenes or interiors

Bobbo 05-12-2004 07:34 AM

Re: Trevor chamberlain's pochade box

some samples of his work,

sorry the scans are a bit orange,
(this shows what i have to put up with when i scan my own paintings,they are really worldclass you know!! :D :D :D

all oils,bar the last,wich is watercolor

blondheim12 05-12-2004 07:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)
He has lovely work. My Lorelou box is 6x8. It is perfect for small paintings. I use it all the time.
Love,
Linda

Bobbo 05-12-2004 08:04 AM

thanks Linda,

that box looks bigger,but very strong :)

amazing views you've got from your window :D

LeeHaber 05-12-2004 08:08 AM

Hi, Thanks for a look at Trevor Chamberlain's work...I love them all! I appreciate the opportunity to see such wonderful art...thnaks for making it available.

artbars 05-12-2004 08:54 AM

Hi Bobbo! Thank for interesting show it. Remarkable painting and interesting small easel. I saw some adaptations for painting. This is very well made.

LarrySeiler 05-12-2004 10:20 AM

He packs a whallop of emotive drama in small spaces giving great appeal! Often when artists then attempt to work bigger, they feel inclined to busy the work up with detailing that loses the charm. Interesting to see this work...thanks for bringing his work to our attention!

Larry

pampe 05-12-2004 11:01 AM

wonderful photos. thanks!!

inspiring for us "little box" folks

Eugene Veszely 05-12-2004 12:01 PM

That is a tiny little box he uses!! :cool:

Marc Hanson 05-12-2004 12:42 PM

Glad to see the interest in Trevor Chamberlain's work. Thought I'd add to the thread with these images from 'OILS - Trevor Chaberlain' a Ron Ranson Painting School book. Published by ANAYA in London. Copyright 1993 Ron Ranson. Hopefully they wouldn't mind us using these for educational reasons, I don't want to be sued.

These are 6x8, 7x10, and 10x14, not in that order though.

LeeHaber 05-12-2004 06:32 PM

Marc, Thanks for posting these. They are inspirational.

Bobbo 05-12-2004 07:22 PM

what a treat,
to see so many new paintings of him
thanks Marc

the first thing i knew about Trevor Chamberlain,was a little book,
found localy in a second hand bookshop,you know stuffy old place,
not expecting much,maybe some placemats with an illustration of
Constable's haywagon...when i opend that book,of this unknown
painter i was struck.good price too :D

he never waits for a sunny day,is not interested in that perfect place.
when it rains he takes his tiny box in the car and paints the weather..

Tony Perrotta 05-13-2004 05:51 AM

Very cool little box, and such great work on small panels. Question for all using small homemade boxes like the Lorilou boxes. I have 2 that I made, how do you manage to carry the wet panels back to the car without disaster striking? I have a way to do it in the box but it does not work well for more than one panel.

Tony

blondheim12 05-13-2004 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Perrotta
Very cool little box, and such great work on small panels. Question for all using small homemade boxes like the Lorilou boxes. I have 2 that I made, how do you manage to carry the wet panels back to the car without disaster striking? I have a way to do it in the box but it does not work well for more than one panel.

Tony

Tony,
I always use a drying box for my wet paintings, whether I'm using my Lorelou box or my Guerrilla Box. I like using a drying box because they hold so many panels and I have the option of leaving them in the box for days at a time if I want to, until they are completely dry.
Love,
Linda

JamieWG 05-13-2004 08:21 AM

Quote:

Tony

Tony, do a search for Wayne's thread on an easy wet panel carrier. You make it with two frames front to front. I bought 4-packs of inexpensive 5x7 and 8x10 frames for $10 at Michael's Arts and Crafts and made them in each size. They're great, and fit right in a canvas bag with the pochade box, etc. Let me know if you can't find the thread and I'll do a search for you when I get home later.

Jamie

Gilberte 05-13-2004 09:49 AM

I knew of T. Chamberlain's work Rob and I admire his play with light and shadow. The pochade box is also interesting. Thanks for the thread.

(Nogal fris voor de tijd van het jaar hier !)

Eugene Veszely 05-13-2004 11:44 AM

...Wow Trevor Chamberlain is 71 now.....I thought he was younger!!

Tony Perrotta 05-13-2004 04:19 PM

hi Linda and Jamie, Jamie, yes I saw the thread, very cool idea. Linda I might order one from Dave, we'll see, I could always knock one together too. I see that is the way to go then there is no worry about transporting and like you said you can leave the work in there till dry and not take up any room.

Tony :)

Marc Hanson 05-13-2004 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1chameleon
...Wow Trevor Chamberlain is 71 now.....I thought he was younger!!

In the newest book that I have on 'TC', it says that, "it wasn't until 1964 that he gave up a career as an architectural draughtsman to pursue paintng full time."

71 sounds about right in that case. 1Cham, you probably weren't even born, and I was trying to figure out how to negotiate the 4th grade!!!

Tony Perrotta 05-13-2004 04:47 PM

Hi, Are his books easily available? Where might I get them?? Or are they the rare hoarded type that will cost you a bundle to get?

Tony

Marc Hanson 05-13-2004 05:29 PM

Quote:

Hi, Are his books easily available? Where might I get them?? Or are they the rare hoarded type that will cost you a bundle to get?

Tony

I don't know if it is still available, maybe Amazon or E-bay would be worth a search.

Here's the publishers info for the latest one that I know of. I bought this at Barnes and Noble in 1996. Title:

'Ron Ranson's Painting School'
OILS
Trevor Chamberlain

Anaya Publishers Ltd., Strode House,
44-50 Osnaburgh Street, London NW1 3ND
Tel-071 383-2997
Fax-071 383-3076

Good luck

Bobbo 05-13-2004 06:17 PM

never found out much about Chamberlaine on the net
there is one thing....is it handprint.com... where they
analyse painters palettes ?
he was in there.

Bobbo 05-13-2004 06:28 PM

did you see that;

doesn't that figure under the tree look smal?
on the first picture Mark posted,
i imagined him next to the boats,it is tiny!

Marc Hanson 05-13-2004 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbo
did you see that;

doesn't that figure under the tree look smal?
on the first picture Mark posted,
i imagined him next to the boats,it is tiny!

Good point Bobbo! 2 weeks ago I took a catalogue from Matthew Alexander's latest show at Messum's in London to my landscape class. All of my students thought that his figures looked suspiciously small too. I didn't notice iit right away, but I still thought that maybe it is the way they use the figure's size to emphasize the height of trees and buildings to suit their taste. Trevor C. having been an architectural draughtsman may be used to using these stylized figures in the manner that they're use in that business?!

So I'm going to take a look at Edward Seago's figures and see if this is a way of portraying figures among painters obviously influenced by Seago as both of these painters are.

I'll let you know what I see.

Bobbo 05-13-2004 07:04 PM

he says in this book;

paint your figures tall and elegant,not small and dumpy!!

bit discriminating isn't it....

Marc Hanson 05-13-2004 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbo
he says in this book;

paint your figures tall and elegant,not small and dumpy!!

bit discriminating isn't it....

...you think he means 'thin and lean', not small and dumpy...could still make a thin and lean figure that is a 1/3 meter too short! :D

He does everything else with such mastery, who cares, right?

Bobbo 05-13-2004 07:22 PM

his paints

Eugene Veszely 05-14-2004 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintbox1
In the newest book that I have on 'TC', it says that, "it wasn't until 1964 that he gave up a career as an architectural draughtsman to pursue paintng full time."

71 sounds about right in that case. 1Cham, you probably weren't even born, and I was trying to figure out how to negotiate the 4th grade!!!

The site I went to said he was born 1933....I wasnt yet around in 1971 ;) :)

jecoe 05-14-2004 06:29 PM

Quote:

I don't know if it is still available, maybe Amazon or E-bay would be worth a search.

Here's the publishers info for the latest one that I know of. I bought this at Barnes and Noble in 1996. Title:

'Ron Ranson's Painting School'
OILS
Trevor Chamberlain

Anaya Publishers Ltd., Strode House,
44-50 Osnaburgh Street, London NW1 3ND
Tel-071 383-2997
Fax-071 383-3076

Good luck

This book that Marc recommends is the better of the two Trevor Chamberlain books on oil painting that I've seen. I had to import my copy from Australia (!) after winning it on EBay a couple of years ago.

I lucked out and found the other book on EBay just a few weeks ago:

Oil Painting Pure and Simple
by Ron Ranson & Trevor Chamberlain
Blandford Press, 1986
ISBN 0 7137 1744 0

Chamberlain's books do show up. Many times they are bid quite high, but persistence will pay off. Finding either one is well worth the effort. Both are filled with excellent advice and reproductions.

Now for the real kicker!

Last year, I bought an original painting by Chamberlain - also on EBay! It is an oil on canvas, 16x20" dated 1968, and definitely painted in plein air. Somehow, it just squeaked through EBay unnoticed, and no one else placed a bid on it. It was an amazing bargain, and I consider myself very fortunate (and now you all know how I spend the REST of my time online!) .

Not one of his best, but pretty nice, I think. What I have learned from studying it carefully is how he mixed thick impasto knife work (in the clouds) with adjacent areas of canvas scraped nearly clean, and other thick impasto brushwork in the bottom foreground.

Great thread!

Jim

Marc Hanson 05-14-2004 07:08 PM

Jim- You lucky dog! :D

That is a beautiful painting. It must be a treat to have it at hand to review and enjoy.

I found that 1986 book at a used book store locally, another spot to scout for these things.

On technique, a few years ago he painted with John Stobart on a PBS series called 'Worldscape' where J. Stobart would travel around the US and Europe and paint with guest artists, Trevor C., David Curtis, Michael Lynch, Charles Movalli and others. In one with Trevor C. you could see how much he employs a rag to wipe the surface paint down to the canvas to reveal the multi-color washes that he applies at the start. Even in the screen view of the painting that you bought it is easy to see just how nice the interplay of transparent vs opaque is in painting. Thanks for 'giving up' the good deal.

JamieWG 05-14-2004 09:51 PM

Jim, what a find! I think that painting is gorgeous.

Jamie

Eugene Veszely 05-15-2004 10:55 AM

Quote:

Jim- You lucky dog! :D

Thats my line!!! :crying: Wow what a great buy !! :)

TPS 05-15-2004 05:21 PM

Alas, I believe Trevor passed away a couple of years ago and is now in the great studio above. What a coup to have gotten a Chamberlain through eBay. He's always been a favorite of mine, and an inspiration for his dedication to plein air work. I also like David Curtis whom I believe was a student of his. I have the Chamberlain book mentioned and also David's book "A Light Touch". There's much to learn from studying his paintings over and over. I'm happy to see others discovering him.

Marc Hanson 05-15-2004 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPS
Alas, I believe Trevor passed away a couple of years ago and is now in the great studio above. What a coup to have gotten a Chamberlain through eBay. He's always been a favorite of mine, and an inspiration for his dedication to plein air work. I also like David Curtis whom I believe was a student of his. I have the Chamberlain book mentioned and also David's book "A Light Touch". There's much to learn from studying his paintings over and over. I'm happy to see others discovering him.

That is a real downer if true. Are you sure of this? In searching various information sites on him, none indicate that he has passed. How'd you find this out? Man, I hope not.

Eugene Veszely 05-16-2004 04:53 AM

None of the sites I have been to said he has died either....I hope it isnt true...

Bobbo 05-16-2004 08:47 AM

well,his paintings a cerainly alive!!here is a little watercolor
(thanks for the links cham..)

Eugene Veszely 05-17-2004 12:17 PM

I love his Watercolours. :)

I wish I could find more links !! :)

pinkbubelz 05-17-2004 05:04 PM

Question: is this his own home-made box? or one that can be purchased somewhere? It looks really nice.

--Iris

bharti 05-17-2004 07:10 PM

I have that book from the library, and the box was originally owned by his friend Peter Gilman who, unfortunatly, took his own life and left the box to Trevor Chamberlain. He put a whole chapter in the book with lots of photos of the box so that people could copy it. Sad story, but nice he passed on the knowledge.

Bobbo 05-18-2004 06:08 AM

yes the box was costum made in Monmouth
i'm sure a handy man could make one from those photo's
(not me!)

wow jecoe,
thanks for posting your/his painting
that must be wunderfull being able to look at that everyday!!