WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oil Painting (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Black and white oil painting (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1468689)

Anne Roy 07-19-2019 01:17 PM

Black and white oil painting

Hello, I want to do a black and white oil painting portrait. The black (Ultramarine blue and burnt umber). Is there another color in it for a nice black? Plus white to make the grey. In my grey, there is a tint of blue which I am not sure if it is ok when it come to paint the skin. To take off that blue, do I add the complement of blue? Is there other colors that I should add in the white ? I was wondering what makes the warm and cool colors when itís black and white. I made once with a teacher a portrait a few years ago and I compare my colors with that portrait and itís different. Thank you in advance for your advice.

TomMather 07-19-2019 02:25 PM

Re: Black and white oil painting

I mix black and grays with ultramarine and burnt umber all of the time. For warmer grays, just use more burnt umber, or burnt sienna for even warmer hues. For cooler grays, more ultramarine.

Humbaba 07-19-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anne Roy
In my grey, there is a tint of blue which I am not sure if it is ok when it come to paint the skin. To take off that blue, do I add the complement of blue?

You can add a tiny amount of red to neutralize the blue in your mix.

A black mentioned in books is:

Red + Green + Burnt Umber or Raw Umber.

Pinguino 07-19-2019 03:33 PM

Don't be afraid to actually use black, if you have it! Or, you can continue by mixing to black.

Depending on which pigment black you use (and perhaps which white), a mix of black and white may be a slightly bluish gray. This is easily fixed by adding a suitable earth color.

Based on traditional (film) and digital photographs, I have noticed that my own perception as to whether a gray is warm or cool, depends on the lightness of the gray. I see darker grays as warm, and lighter grays as cool. Your perception may differ. This is probably the opposite of what is desirable in painting, where we would expect darks to be cooler than lights. So, you may have to add a variable amount of earth color, depending on light or dark gray.

The trouble with mixed blacks based on red + green, is that slight variations make the result lean red or green. This is probably not desirable, for most compositions. Better to stick with blue and an earth color, because deviations to blue or earth will look more natural.

AllisonR 07-20-2019 10:44 AM

If you are using burnt umber and ultramarine then that is all you need. Add slightly more umber to the flesh areas and then slightly more ultramarine to the other areas and voila - you will have warm flesh next to a cool background. Nothing else needed.

Anne Roy 07-21-2019 08:38 PM

I want to say thank you to everyone for your advices. I think that I will be more confident when I will work on it.

Gigalot 07-22-2019 02:11 AM

Phthalo Green + Permanent Alizarin will mix deep Black. Dioxazine Purple is also a good base to mix Black and Brown.

Ellis Ammons 07-22-2019 02:51 AM

I would go with ivory black and transparent white

Ivory black because undertones of ultramarine can show up in unwanted places like highlights.

transparent white because t.white can look chalky especially if your doing any sort of layering/glazing. Kinda want to try lead white myself :)

Anne Roy 07-26-2019 08:20 PM

Good evening everyone, I want to say thank you for the informations. I only did 2 layers and for the skin I used the transparent white. I am making experienced with the informations of everyone and it will guide me .

JCannon 07-26-2019 08:46 PM

My black is often Prussian blue mixed with Raw or Burnt Umber (whichever is darkest).

Anne Roy 08-06-2019 03:40 PM

I will try Prussian blue also on the palette to see the result. I wonít use it for this painting since I already work with other information. Thank you for it. People, in this forum are so kind , wish one day I will be able to help others too. Have a good day