WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Art Journals (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=502)
-   -   My Grunge Journal (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1434302)

Helen 09-16-2017 11:45 PM

My Grunge Journal

I started this grunge journal a few years back but set it aside as I got interested in other things. While looking for something else it resurface and I decided it was time to start working in it again.

Monastic Bat 09-17-2017 12:25 PM

Re: My Grunge Journal

Nice work, I look to seeing more.
Regards,
Greg

Munin Raven 09-17-2017 03:00 PM

Nice creative pages. Painting over the print is a neat touch. Hope to see more. :thumbsup:

KreativeK 09-22-2017 03:36 PM

It is really super, Helen, love grunge and your amazing sketches add to the charm.

Joan T 09-22-2017 07:14 PM

I like the anything goes look to your pages, Helen. Glad you started working in this again.

eyepaint 09-23-2017 08:37 PM

Oh ho this looks good. Keep it up :)

Helen 10-04-2017 11:39 AM

A few more done in my Grunge Journal

eyepaint 10-04-2017 10:46 PM

I like the piece with three colours on the left and the woman on the right.

KreativeK 10-05-2017 12:25 PM

Good, great, and glorious Helen! Is this an old paperback you used or did you adhere separate pages to a sketchbook?

Joan T 10-05-2017 11:17 PM

Great job on the people. Are you sketching over gesso or white gouache?

Helen 11-03-2017 11:19 AM

Kay, this Grunge Journal is an old book that had no value, the spine had been chewed along the top edge. I gessoed the pages, glued some together and added collage to some of the pages. One thing I found was the gessoed pages ate up the graphite in my pencils so I'm doing a bit more experimenting. I'll explain what I did different on these....
Nothing different on her, I did add a bit of color with gel pens but otherwise just pencil on gessoed page

For this guy I tried gloss medium over the gesso. Too hard to get a pencil mark so I'll try something different.

On this one I added some acrylic paint over the collaged papers. Still not good for pencil work and The collaged papers are too prominent.

This last one is close to what I think I may do in the future, at least for some. I added a piece of handmade paper to the side that I was going to use for the image. Easier to draw on but the paper is a bit thick. I think I'll try rice paper next. I'm also thinking perhaps adding watercolor over the collaged papers may work better as it will soak into the paper rather than leave a plastic coat over it. More experimenting to do..

Helen 11-03-2017 11:34 PM

And this weekends wde entry was done in my grunge journal. This time I used a page that I had put a tea bag on. I liked working on the tea bag paper, may have to start replacing my daily coffee with tea.

KreativeK 11-03-2017 11:43 PM

I'm really liking your work in these pages, Helen, so inspiring. I may try doing that but using craft white acrylic paint as it is thinner than gesso but would have the same effect...would not eat up pencil lead.

Monastic Bat 11-04-2017 11:09 AM

I like all of these especially the Tea Bag paper. Your process is most interesting and I look forward to seeing more.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Regards,
Greg.

Helen 11-04-2017 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KreativeK
I'm really liking your work in these pages, Helen, so inspiring. I may try doing that but using craft white acrylic paint as it is thinner than gesso but would have the same effect...would not eat up pencil lead.

Good idea, cheap white paint my do the trick.