WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scratchboard Art (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=347)
-   -   Framing Scratchboard/Claybord (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589190)

sandrawillard 10-20-2009 09:48 PM

Framing Scratchboard/Claybord

I have read on Ampersand's packaging that scratchbord/claybord doesn't need to be protected by glass but that varnishing it will protect it. However, I've found that the black ink can still be marred if I'm not careful to keep things away from it's surface.

So, my question is, am I such a perfectionist that I'm being too neurotic about little scratches/imperfections? Do most of you consider that the nature of the material and don't fret over it? Or am I doing something wrong such as not applying enough varnish?

Do you frame with glass? Help!

PS - If I should be posting these discussion-type threads somewhere else please let me know. Usually I only see posts about WIP and Finished works so I'm uncertain if this is OK.

PatrickHedges 10-20-2009 11:06 PM

Re: Framing Scratchboard/Claybord

Sandra, I think the consensus is no glass but lots of varnish, although that was a while ago. A survey of newer members might be different.

In the hints sticky thread there are different threads about all sorts. Here are three framing threads
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489479
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491849
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500287

I also prefer the floating look where the board is on a solid mount (with no hole in it) and it raised with the use of a spacer. It's much cheaper to frame this way too. Here's an example done in a cheap frame which a customer wanted. Total framing price $18.

sandrawillard 10-21-2009 12:15 AM

Ooohhh very nice!

I love the float mount look myself. Did you use foam tape to attach? Is that foam core board that it is mounted to?

WildVisions 10-21-2009 12:44 AM

Patrick,

Nice idea there with the float! I never thought of that! Hmmm...I shall have to one day try that one.

Sandra,

I suppose it's a throwback from the fact that I paint, but I just can not feel at ease framing my scratchboard work without glass. I fear that it will get scratched/scuffed/dirty, so I stick it behind glass. Here is an example I did about a year ago. The glass I used is museum glass, which is expensive, but has a neutral color tone (no greenish tint) and is pretty glare resistant, with only mild blue glare here and there.

It's a bit hard to see, but the top mat is a lovely textured mat that looks as if it is made of flakes of graphite, it has that same kind of sheen. The bottom mat is suede in a cherry red, to match the cherry wood frame. I like using a pinch of color to help 'brighten up' my SB work. I can't wait to get stuff framed again at the end of the year.

Crias 10-21-2009 01:14 AM

Framing is something I have been learning a LOT about in the past 6 months since starting to show my work in galleries.

My feeling is that varnish is not enough if your work is
1)in a public place where there is moderate traffic
2) will not protect your work if something heavy or moderately abrasive is rubbed against it
3) does not stay neutral in color if something is splashed on it (ie oily areas turn a darker black, water spots will show, etc.)

I have had work with 6-8 layers of varnish get scratched down to the clay while hanging at a church not too long ago. I do not know if the scratch was accidental or deliberate, but if I hang work in a public location other than a museum you can bet it will be behind glass.

Like Cristina I prefer museum glass as it looks almost like there is nothing in front of it and has little glare. On the down side I don't feel very safe shipping work with glass in front of it, as it would be possibly catastrophic if the glass broke over a scratchboard! I don't have a great solution for shipping to shows, as I hate the look of plexiglass (even the museum grade plexi).

I have shown my work in museums without glass and had no problems (knock on wood), but do worry about it. Also what is someone accidentally sprayed it with glass cleaner or some other cleaner? I don't know if it would be affected.

Tomorrow I will post some pics of some pieces I recently had framed at a professional shop with museum glass and linen liner. It is what one of my gallery owners recommended and looks very nice, but not cheap ($250+).

PatrickHedges 10-21-2009 01:22 AM

Looks very nice Cristina.
Quote:

Patrick,

Nice idea there with the float! I never thought of that!
Can't claim it as mine. I learnt it from those threads about floating frames.

Sandra, I actually used glue and coreflute which is plastic corrugated card, about 3mm thick. For larger pieces, just use two. Make certain it's small enough to not be seen if someone tries to peer behind your work but large enough to hold the work permanently.

I don't use double sided tape as I'm concerned that will deteriorate and one day you art will be on the floor. A good wood glue should work. However, make certain your woodglue doesn't buckle your mount card under the work.

sandrawillard 10-21-2009 01:25 AM

Thanks Cathy and WV!

I've accidentally damaged one of my own so I've been putting them behind glass ever since.

It's a good point about the glass cleaner, or even a duster. I would worry that a client might damage it without realizing what they were doing.

I was concerned that I'm just to much of a worry wart! ;)

PatrickHedges 10-21-2009 01:41 AM

Maybe I don't worry enough. After all, I spend ages scratching my work :lol:

Trilby 10-21-2009 02:12 AM

I do sometimes frame my work without glass, but I worry. I usually do use glass, ever since I watched a little boy with a pen knife try his hand at scratchboard art on a friend's piece in a show. Unfortunately No one was near enough to stop him. She was able to repair it, but also began using glass. You can use a float method even behind glass. I can't afford museum glass, but have found that the reflection control glass is almost as "invisible" and much less expensive than full museum glass.RC or AR (anti reflection) is not the same as anti glare, It's in the same family as museum glass. I frame both with and without mats depending on the piece and the frame.

Cathy, I have shipped a few pastels with glass. I cris cross masking tape over the glass and onto the frame. I also put a sticky paper over the whole piece of glass on top of the masking tape, put protective corners on the frame and bubble wrap the heck out of the whole thing and put it in a box further cushioned with peanuts or foam. So far no broken glass or damaged frame or art.
TJ

lorna12 10-21-2009 03:54 AM

I never use glass and I've never had a piece damaged while hanging elsewhere or in shipping. I ship my work to galleries and shows all over including as far away as the Indy show earlier this year. I even ship in province by Greyhound. I don't know if I've just been darned lucky or what, but I find that several coats of Kamar or Matt spray varnish is enough.

Don't get me wrong...I still worry but I don't put my acrylic paintings under glass either...I don't do oils but know most people varnish and frame without glass, as well... scratches on or through one of those would be just as damaging not to mention devastating. If damage is going to happen it's going to happen and there's not much one can do about it, except the obvious...protect it the best you can when you have to move it...get it in writing that the place you hang your work in will be responsible ($$) if damage is done(I mean other than galleries because most of them do anyway)...or like I do, have a good insurance policy that covers your work when it is moving or hanging somewhere other than your home. Nothing is going to take away the heartbreak when a piece you've spend so much time on gets damaged but $$ helps a bit.:wink2: :D

This is one of my favorite frames with a linen liner...I often go a bit narrower but not wider for both. The piece is 16X20 (or 18X24 I forget)

Crias 10-21-2009 12:27 PM

well my plans to take nice pics of my framed pieces this morning were a bit thwarted by um... snow, but still took some on my porch with higher ISO, so a bit grainy, but you get the idea. In normal lighting conditions the museum glass is pretty non-reflective, but withthe snow behind me you can see some minor glare from the bright white of it.

I was told by my framing guru that you never want the linen liner and frame to be the same width so since this is a thinner frame, I went with a thin linen liner.

I went with a dark brown frame, linen liner and fillet here

Dark greyish black frame, linen liner and fillet

I think they look pretty sharp- hopefully my gallery owner will agree :)

sandrawillard 10-21-2009 03:11 PM

Very wonderful examples! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

Cathy, is the glass directly against the scratchboard?

Crias 10-21-2009 03:25 PM

no its over the linen liner

lorna12 10-21-2009 03:29 PM

Cathy... These look really nice...just curious but why choose colored frames for B&W work? I sometimes use a fillet in mine, too...they can really set it off nicely. I sure like the fillet in the 2nd picture. BTW...I think all framers should go to the same school and hand out the same advice...mine said that equality is perfectly acceptable. :D Personally, I think it depends on the piece and is a matter of personal tastes and I prefer black frames.
I like the wider frame/liner on my medium sized pieces(some 8X10 - 16X20) but go for a narrower one on my 18X24 and 3'X2' work. (the zebras are 16X20, I checked:wink2: )
3'X2' with a plain black fillet w/ a soft white liner.

and smaller pieces (5X7 amd some 8X10s) gold fillet w/ white liner

PatrickHedges 10-21-2009 07:52 PM

Ah, so Lorna, you frame without glass but behind the mount not in front? Both yours and Cathy's look very cool. As to a colour frame, I've sometimes found that they work, but most of mine are black frames too.