WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Southwest and Western Art (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=360)
-   -   Round the Campfire ~May~ (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1315977)

jennaboo88 05-01-2013 05:37 PM

Round the Campfire ~May~

Ah, May. I think we in Wisconsin have finally reached spring as things are getting greener each day. It is such a welcome event!

Come and help yourself to coffee, cookies, bacon, cottage cheese, pie, or whatever else sounds the best to you. :D

I just took Oliver (my cat) to the vet for his vaccines. He cried most of the way there, but took the shots very well and is now very thankful to be home again. He's such a homebody. :heart:

I am really hoping to finish my scratchboard within this month. :crossfingers: :crossfingers: It needs to be done, and I have been slaving away at it! It'll be great to finish and deliver it to the home!

What's new with all of you?:)

objectivistartist 05-01-2013 06:16 PM

Re: Round the Campfire ~May~

almost done with Watered World - just coloring the boats and the lone window, and touch-ups here and there - and signing...:thumbsup:

KJSieloff 05-01-2013 07:45 PM

Howdy campfire!

Robert!! I haven't been posting, but I've been watching this come together. Can I say WOW!!!! I absolutely love all the color! And a scene like that is dang hard to nail because of all the angles. If you miss one angle, the whole pic will be wonky. You nailed it!!! Cheers!!!!

Flyby for the rest of ya. I've been up to my neck, but I'm home early today. First time in FOREVER. I have a colored pencil painting I'm trying to get done for a May 5 deadline, so wish me luck. It's 11" x 14" and it's another cactus blossum. I'll post it when I get it finished, and I'll drop back in and chat. In the mean time, thanks for keeping the fire and coffee hot!

Kathy

jennaboo88 05-01-2013 11:11 PM

Hi Robert. What an amazing piece! Definitely my favorite of your artwork so far! Amazing depth, color, and angles. You've truly outdone yourself here. :clap:

Hi Kathy. Good luck with the colored pencil. You'll do a great job! Hope you'll share it with us. :)

Catherine1 05-02-2013 12:30 AM

Evening all! :wave:

Been busy. Finally got home Saturday. Spring cleaning, mowing the yard, starting my hot boxes.. A little late for that but better late than never. Been working on the wheel in-between and trying to get my studio back in order to paint. When we went to Florida last year we left so many projects unfinished. Who knew we weren't coming back..

Robert.. it sure is coming along!

Hi Jo.. Glad at least you got a chance to sit in and say howdy. Hope to see your bloom in the forum. Loved the photos.. esp the wild flowers!

Lisa.. Donna.. Thanks for the nice comments on the pots. All the glazes are food safe and oven/micro safe as well. (Who knew chemistry could be so much fun.. lol) When I get a few more kiln loads fired I'll have a site up. I found a slightly used production kiln while down in Florida so I can fire more pieces at a time.

Lisa yes.. the yard and porch are all back to normal.. They came over about 2 weeks after the incident. Filled all the holes from hooves, reseeded, then brought a roller in to get rid of the bumps. They scrubbed the porch down and put in a new railing.. Hee hee.. then they built new fence. There would not have been a lot of damage if they would have realized all that was needed to keep them in my pasture was a couple of 10 foot gates at the barn side. Guess it was easier to just block off my lane and give them free run..

Jim.. Here with the cattle it is the opposite. The farmer is responsible for all damages. Though more often than not.. whats a couple of bales of hay between neighbors. BTW.. the tree sculpture is really something!

Deb.. Hows the knee? Your new gals doing ok too?

Rick.. Why thank you.. You know you can use that kiln for smaller pieces. Even sculpture. Hope your painting is going well and the weather cooperating!

Jen.. Gosh.. your scratch board is just awesome!! Can't wait to see it finished.

Hi Kathy!! Bet your awful light headed with all the flybys.. :evil: Just kidding have been missing your work in the forum. Hope to see the finished flower in there soon.

Lenore!!! Well howdy stranger!!! Ya know even if ya aren't painting ya can type.. ;) We all have missed ya!

Linda.. Gorgeous!! Sounds like you had a good time and got lots of great ref photos. Which ones are you working on first?

DJ.. Karma can work wonders.. Hope it works out too!

Ron.. Warming up yet??

Sharon.. Red buds are my favorite blooms. Your right too they don't last long. When their out it means a warming trend.. I hope so.

Jim.. I hope your not getting any flooding.

A hearty "Hello" to those I might have missed and to those who come later.

objectivistartist 05-02-2013 12:49 AM

actually, was off on at least one of the angles - the railing where the poles are on the right... but 'saved' it by making it a broken rail [snort]...:angel: otherwise, wasn't as hard as seemed as long as kept to one point each on the horizon, doing one building at a time - and one of the reasons for all the detailing of textures was to keep these buildings not mixed up - :lol:

so - will either finish it tomorrow, or the next day [prob tomorrow, as only the boats left now, and the poles] then sign...:thumbsup:

djstar 05-02-2013 02:48 AM

Wow, I sort of fell off the earth, in more ways than one..

I was so tired today after class I nearly fainted. 97+ degrees outside in too much a/c has me shivering and totally dehydrated. But I am rocking....
Unfortunately only to make me a better artist. It is 99% done by cops trained to draw, not artists on call, in spite of how it looks on TV.
Such fun! This morning I finished a bloated woman with half her scalp missing from being eaten by animals while her face was preserved in the snow. She had been murdered by her husband. People said she looked sad when I got done... (well if her husband MURDERED her... I might think she didn't have too happy a while before that...)

Yesterday a black girl whose head was only partially attached... ALL PHOTOS THANK GOODNESS!!

Today we started drawing directly from skulls. This is the only REALLY scientific part of the game. But I am learning that all the skills in the world are still based on about 50% instinct. When I ask how we KNOW this looks like this etc, she says "you just guess.."
I really have had complements from cops but there is no way to go to cop academy at my age.

Was sort of actually thinking museums, but that is too tight funding-wise, so I need to get a slick book and go for personal injury lawyers who need snappy graphics. Or.... really.... just improve my skills, which is about all I can really attest to.

About karma....
I have not been sleeping. Actually this is helping me cope, but the big plan that her conscience and reputation MIGHT bring her out... nada.

Never thought she would not have a conscience and apparently because I am a good person, maybe she is right I don't have the guts to destroy her reputation.

If I were the sort to go in for that sort of thing, I might be despondent, but I am keeping busy right now.

Friday... no telling.
dj*

tuzigoot 05-02-2013 01:56 PM

Oh DJ I'm not sure I could even try what you're doing in that class. Must be pretty gruesome. At least those photos. Skulls are another thing entirely but I've never been able to figure not how you're supposed to know how someone's nose is shaped, based on a skull. Must be a really interesting class and your work is beautiful, even tho it probably isn't supposed to be.
By now it should be obvious that karma does not have a conscience - I don't know if I could just let it go, forgive and forget or if I would need to go after her to get past the situation.
Robert that piece continues to amaze.
Jenna you are as relentless as Robert on your work - awaiting the final peek at it.
Ron will you ever see spring up there? I spoke w someone in Ft Collins yesterday (we close on 6/19 on the house!) and he said they had nearly a foot of new snow. But all the moisture, esp this late in the season, is a true godsend - I know they'd love to see it further south. Things looked really dry in NM and AZ - most streams already nearly dry when they should have at least a little water running in them. And the Rio Grande didn't seem to be as high as it ought to either.
Catherine do let us know when you have your next crop of pots done. The last ones looked pretty nice.
Deb hope you've figured out what's going on w the knee. We were sorry you couldn't make the trip to Taos - maybe next time! BTW - do I remember you saying you live somewhere near Jemez? I drove through there and was amazed at how beautiful it is. Nice spot.
Windy again here today, but at least not 100 degrees! Hoping all the pollen heads out of state.
Cheers!

jennaboo88 05-02-2013 02:36 PM

Good morning everyone. I can't resist sharing this...two days ago, we hit 82 degrees and I was taking pictures like this.

And today I woke up, looked out the window, and groaned in disgust... :eek: :lol:

Ugh...what a spring this has been.

Good thing I have something that requires my attention indoors. The scratchboard is coming along. The tree is nearing the finishing point as far as the scratching...next comes the grasses at the base and then the colors. Better keep at it. :) My new camera is proving better to photograph this than my old point and shoot.

A close up.

Hi Catherine. Mowing the yard? What's that again? :wink2: :lol: Must feel wonderful to have things all tidy and pretty in your yard. Thanks so much for the sweet comments on my scratchboard! I can't wait to see it finished either...I've really enjoyed this, but will be happy when I can move on to something different for a change.

Hi Robert. Ooh, good cover! I would never have noticed that. Looking forward to the finale!

Hi DJ. Wow...I don't think I could look at photos like what you described and feel in the mood to try and draw. I'm not really squeamish as a rule, but it would be too heavy and grim for me. Looks like you're doing great though.

Hi Linda. Thanks for the encouragement as I continue my scratchboard! Much appreciated!

tuzigoot 05-02-2013 05:58 PM

IEEEE - snow in s. Wisconsin in MAY? :eek::eek::eek: I'm sure the farmers are going bonkers.
Oh - and what I started out to say - scratch board is lookin good, Jenna.

objectivistartist 05-02-2013 06:35 PM

And "Watered World" is finished.............:thumbsup:

beetlesaab 05-02-2013 07:11 PM

Jenna, what a great pic of the bee and the snow covered tractor is awesome! (although I know y'all gotta be sick to death of snow by now :eek: )

rugman 05-02-2013 09:26 PM

Robert- my absolute favorite of yours, hands down! Congrats on a job very well done.

DJ- I sure admire your portrait skills! It would feel strange to me to be doing portraits of people who die such horrible deaths. Hope this leads to steady income producing work for you.

Jenna- ha ha, neener, neener! :) We arent the only ones! I was wondering if you were on the snowy side, or the rainy side of the storm. I cant believe you made over 80 degrees the other day. We got to 70 or so a few weeks ago.

Linda- we got about a foot this last storm. I think this makes 36- 40 inches here in Cheyenne during April and May 1st. Im hoping to see a green prairie in June...very pretty..almost like photos of Ireland...if it stays wet enough and the darn wind doesnt blow like crazy and dry things too much. Not nearly as much wind once you cross the border into Colorado, so you can be thankful for that.

Hello to the rest of ya.....

jennaboo88 05-02-2013 10:34 PM

Hi Linda. You heard right. Although, I'm more in western Wisconsin than south, so it's maybe not quite so rare...but rare nonetheless! And depressing! :lol: Thanks so much for the very kind comments on the scratchboard. :)

Hi Robert. Wow, an amazing finish on this piece. Yes, my favorite of yours. It's so complex and colorful, really a beauty! Well done! :clap:

Hi Donna. Thanks so much! I sure am sick of snow! Haha.

Hi Ron. Yeah, yeah, rub it in. :p I begin to understand now how patient you've been this spring! We're on both sides of the storm...snow overnight, then rain for a few days after that. :eek:

Lisa M 05-03-2013 10:58 AM

Jenna--Such a photo essay you tell. . . . Argghh!!! We had the same thing this week! It's about 28 degrees now but the sun is shining. Trees are starting to bud a little. Great photos as always! That tree is coming along great as well--can't wait to see the finish!

We have a new grey kitty hanging around--totally wild but happy to sit on the deck and gaze at our 2 indoor cats. I haven't seen Barney for awhile; he must have gone back home. :cat: Speak of the devil--here comes grey kitty now. . . .

DJ--Wow! I'm captivated by your current artistic experience. Maybe a dept will have you on call anyway. . . . I can only imagine what the non-artists' work looks like; those police are lucky to have you in the class to lead the way.

Hi to everyone this fine Friday morning! I hope you're seeing sun or rain as needed.