WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Classroom (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=335)
-   -   Basics 101: Class 2 - Foundation of Perspective (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597782)

Mimi007 04-18-2015 04:53 PM

Re: Basics 101: Class 2 - Foundation of Perspective

Kleenex box reference picture and the kleenex box with VL . VL are green.

Thanks for your assistance! Much appreciated.

arnoud3272 04-18-2015 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelly
.... If you have to move your eyes down A LOT. or up A LOT. then the horizon line won't fit on the paper. Re-arrange your boxes so that they are either to the left, straight ahead or to right of your eyes when you are staring straight ahead.

Arnoud, sorry if this is not correct or not good advice. It took me ages of drawing boxes to figure this out.....

It is not wrong. On the other hand - I'll admit you need some practice with it :thumbsup: - it is quite possible to guesstimate whether the VP's are about on the same level without drawing them completely up to the EL.

arnoud3272 04-18-2015 06:26 PM

Shelly -
You did very well with the 4 boxes :clap:.
Please move on to class 3 :thumbsup:.

arnoud3272 04-18-2015 07:04 PM

Kathy -
You worked hard, but there is some problem. Did you read the complete first posting, including the added "rules" with their illustration of the railroad tracks?
1: further away looks smaller
2: all VL's converge on the same HL

Further away looks smaller ?

Further away looks smaller ?
It is very well to choose a horizon line, but then the VL's must converge to a point on that line (red correction at the left). OR they do NOT converge because they do not recede, in that interpretation all the lines in the same group must run parallel (red correction at the right). If you opt for a small slant, then all lines in that group must give the suggestion that they go towards the HL (blue correction).

BTW, you don't need to post your reference, a drawing must be correct in itself. Sometimes it is even better not to post the reference, as it will show that you drew something very different.

You don't need to redo these, carry on with the table and the chair, but keep in mind the 3 principles explained with the railroad rack :thumbsup:.

Mimi007 04-19-2015 12:24 AM

table and chair

I hope these are right!!!!

arnoud3272 04-19-2015 08:10 AM

Well done, Kathy :clap:.
One remark, not related to perspective, but able carpenters cut all legs of a table to the same length :lol:.

Good job so far, please move on to class 3 :thumbsup:.

that-art-guy 04-21-2015 06:07 AM

First part of the lessons. Placing different boxes along a horizon line and the 4 boxes. Must admit the 4 boxes took some time but certain things really started to click like making sure everything sits on one horizon line and anything parallel to the HL doesn't converge.
It was difficult trying to visualize a vanishing point "off the page" I resulted in making the line extend onto my drawing board. I'm sure with more practice I'll be able to eyeball it though.

I'll do the other activities later today :) I hope these are correct and my understanding of perspective is correct.

arnoud3272 04-21-2015 02:59 PM

Very good understanding, Lee, everything is completely correct :clap::clap:.

that-art-guy 04-21-2015 05:11 PM

Thanks Arnoud :)
Here are my kleenex box and table. A little distortion due to the VP's being a little too close but I have identified the problem so can sort that out in the future.

The chair is proving for difficult but maybe that's because I'm mentally drained from reading and studying perspective today that it just wants a rest haha.

Apologies the image is rather light. I'll edit my images more before posting in future, or use harsher lines on my drawing.

arnoud3272 04-22-2015 08:10 AM

All very well done, Lee :clap:.
Please move on to class 3 :thumbsup:.

sharp21 04-30-2015 04:10 PM

Here is my perspective drawing. I combined the table, chair, and 4 boxes into one line drawing:

arnoud3272 04-30-2015 05:39 PM

Several edges do not comply with the basic principles explained with the railroad track. The most important: "further away looks smaller". And those that do converge, don't follow the second principle: "only one eye level".

Please don't rush, take your time. And most important: be critical on your own work, check what you've done, correct if needed.

sharp21 05-01-2015 02:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try another.
S21

sharp21 05-01-2015 04:08 PM

sharp21 05-01-2015 04:10 PM

I can see errors as soon as I post them... Maybe I should be working from a drawing board and not on the desk?

I'll try another later.
S21

Edit:
How's this?

I left the lines in so you could see them. Oh, and I used a ruler!

The previous drawings I was trying to visualize the VP's off the paper, to avoid that weird error that happens when they are too close together.