WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Art Journals (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=502)
-   -   The 365 Drawing Overdose! (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1302945)

Joan T 01-08-2013 10:44 PM

Re: The 365 Drawing Overdose!

They always say practice, practice, practice.... Good for you that you are working on the body proportions. That is something I should do too. Sketching something every day is a great idea and it will be fun to compare your beginning of the year sketches to the ones later in the year!

DavyJ 01-09-2013 08:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys, really appreciate all your positive encouragement :)

DAY 009:

Worked through part 3 of the ProkoTV series. I'll just quote here what I wrote on my blog as to my observations:

Quote:

When the head is looking up the front of the neck becomes stretched and the back of the neck becomes pinched. You can feel this right now by just looking up. If you strain to look as far back towards the celing as possible you’ll feel the resistance as your neck becomes pinched to its maximum. Just remembering this will, I imagine, go a long way to getting those rough outlines of the neck correct when the subject is looking up or down.

Stan Prokopenko suggests not trying to just copy the contour of the face but instead setting down a series of ‘landmarks’ at each point where the line changes. A point for the end of the nose, three points for the lips etc. and only then drawing in the contour line. Trying this my review would be: START DOING THIS IMMEDIATELY. Made it so much easier to draw it accurately (in conjunction with the lines you already have if you’re using the Loomis technique the videos teach) that it’s an instant no-brainer for the future. By doing it this way it's much harder to get the proportions out because you’ll be able to tell after you’ve placed the points if things are right or not and then it’s much easeir to erase and move than if you’ve drawn in a whole line. It’s also much easier to accurately place a dot than accurately draw a long line.

Looking at my reference picture I just “got” for the first time that there really isn’t a straight line between the head and the neck when looking from the side. Rather the head contour (if you can see it at all) stops about half way and goes up towards the ear. There is unbroken skin from neck to behind the ear. To many people this would be obvious as you can simply feel with your hand that the neck follows up in that way–that the jaw stops below the ear–and yet I have only just realized it now. I think this is what artists mean when they tell beginners to start looking more carefully as pretty much the most crucial fundamental in improving your work.

poochemio 01-09-2013 12:56 PM

Applauding your effort. A drawing a day, or more, is the sure way to progress.

RainySea 01-09-2013 01:04 PM

Great!! sketching everyday is how I began to draw. . . I always thought I couldn't draw a stick figure accurately but a few years back decided I wanted to try to improve. So I'm still working on it :)

DrDebby 01-09-2013 03:40 PM

Great sketches and great notes on your observations and learning. Very inspiring.

JTMB 01-09-2013 06:33 PM

Your approach will (already is) paying big dividends. Keep it up!

DavyJ 01-10-2013 11:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you guys, you're giving me a lot of motivation to keep this up :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainySea
Great!! sketching everyday is how I began to draw. . . I always thought I couldn't draw a stick figure accurately but a few years back decided I wanted to try to improve. So I'm still working on it :)

I spent a good 15 minutes on your site. Really like your art and some of your writings were very interesting to me. Great format for a blog!

DAY #010

Double digit days!

Worked on extreme angles today (as per final part of the ProkoTV series) but I found them very hard. I think it will be optimal to do a lot of practice with more regular angles and gradually work out towards the extremes. At the moment I don't have the relationships between parts of the face locked in at all so it's all a bit hit and miss.

eyepaint 01-10-2013 12:00 PM

Keep it up. You are inspiring :)

DrDebby 01-10-2013 05:17 PM

Keep going. You are seeing where you need to work to improve. Excellent.

mhimeswc 01-10-2013 05:36 PM

Wow! Nice job on those heads.

DavyJ 01-11-2013 09:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
DAY #011

Today I thought I'd try to copy another portrait, but using the techniques on head proportions I've been learning as a starting point. I think it came out better than my previous portraits which is good, but there are still lots of mistakes. I'm realising that these rules are only guides and there is no shortcut to putting in the hard-graft of actually seeing what you're drawing and replicating those lines and shades. For example: starting with the Andrew Loomis head technique to begin with will help with proportions and is great but ultimately wether you achieve a decent likeness will depend on the subtle individual differences each individual has. Like the slightly wonky nose or the chin that comes in slightly more than it should.

Basicall all these small details can only be rendered if you've actually noticed they exist and that can only come from taking lots of time and really looking at what you're doing.

The good thing is that by doing that you'll improve.

On this picture a few things I'm happy I rendered close to correctly... most things are clearly out. Anyway, it's Karl Pilkington, one of my all time heroes!

DrDebby 01-11-2013 03:29 PM

I think it's fantastic that you are doing this. Each portrait is getting you closer to seeing and then drawing. Marvelous post.

DavyJ 01-12-2013 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks DrDebby :)

DAY #012

This is a drawing of my sister. To be quite honest it doesn't do her justice... (More explanation why here)

I'm not very happy with it. The nose and hair are the parts that are most out. I did show the picture to my girlfriend though and she correctly identified it as my sister so I guess that's something.

I think the biggest problem here was that I simply rushed and didn't keep working on it until it was right. Did have a busy day though so I wasn't able to keep working on the drawing indefinitely

DrDebby 01-12-2013 03:32 PM

Not knowing your sister, I can't say anything about how like her it is. It looks like a great portrait. Has your sister seen it?

DavyJ 01-13-2013 08:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I don't think she's seen it yet, I messaged her the link on Facebook. Basically she looks a lot younger in the actual photo so in that way it's a little unflattering!

DAY #013

Worked through this video today about the construction of the eye. I just took notes and paused video and copied the various examples along the way.

It's interesting how much anatomy there is to be aware of even with something small like the eye! Quite fascinating actually.